XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Interested in an 02/03 XJR - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

WMUCarGuy,

First off welcome aboard. It is polite and proper to introduce yourself in the new members forum. There are some good FAQ's for new members so you know what you can and can't do during the probationary period.

As to your choice of car, you will love it. Take your time to search craigslist, auto trader, fleabay, etc. and find the right one. Don't rush is and you will be well rewarded. Check out the FAQ's in the both this forum and the XK8 / XKR forum. There will be a wealth of information regarding how to pick the right vechicle. Like with all cars there are good and bad with each model year, but the 2002 and 2003 are the best of this series which ended in '03. As you can see I own a '99, after all of my research I decided I could live with the issues of the older models and I haven't been disappointed yet. I have put on 11K miles in 5 months and am just now dealing with my first real maintenance issues, brakes, sway bar bushings, sepentine belts, etc.

Lot's of luck on your search.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:18 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

In my opinion resale is poor because general perception of JAG reliability is poor. From what I have read they came along way under Ford's stewardship and even if reliability has improved significantly it takes a long time to change perception. Not to mention most people our age would probably prefer a bimmer (so there is a demand issue as well)... although I prefer the xj styling . All this has resulted in a excellent value for the money.... interested in hearing other's thoughts on this.

Be prepared to do service you are not buying a camry or some other low maintenance car.

BTW they also made a super charged vanden plas. It later became known as "super v8"...I have an '01. I would stick with the years your looking at don't go with anything older.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:22 AM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The price is low for a lot of reasons. Most lux cars have a horrible resale value compared to a Honda. Remember as they age it isn't always cheap to repair all those bells and whisles. Also, as was stated you have perceived lack or reliability. You also have a small market as most who want a lux sedan are also the ones who want the newest, badest out there. They wouldn't dare put a 5 year old car with over 60k in their driveway.

I think you are a little low on your prices, As one who bought a 03 XJR a few months back for a good one (no body damage, overall good shape, 8-10k a year- personally I wouldn't go lower than that for mileage as cars need to be driven), good 1-2 owner history with service records 13-17k would be in the right neighborhood.

I would recommend staying away from the brembo brake package as it is crazy expensive to replace. Otherwise the years your looking at should be very solid

Old 09-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

The 100 did not really give you very much over the XJR -- I drove one when they first came out and it was not any different although I did not drive in under any conditions to test the brakes. The R brake package is a very good brake setup -- but a bit over kill since the standard XJR's brakes are very nice. I also did not care for the dark wood in the car.

I had a 95 VDP -- all XJ's were straight sixes from 95 - 97 unless you went with the limited production V12. They also did not have a long wheelbase car at that time. My later VDP was a long wheelbase V8. The extra back seat room is nice on occasions - but I really liked the shorter wheelbase car. So when my lease was up I purchased an XJR. I had no real problems with any of them - the 95 lost its AC compressor at 100k - thats it.

Most luxury cars sell in the same range. I just purchased a 2002 E class Mercedes Wagon that shockingly still has a year left on a factory warranty for 12k - this for a 58K car when new - and the wagons sell for a premium!

The great thing about the Jags is you can find garage kept cars with very low miles - you can find S class MB's also -- but they are not anywhere as reliable.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran searches daily to find my '02 Super V8 (long wheelbase XJR) - I needed the bigger back seat in case I have to haul clients around. Paid less than $8k w/ 89k miles and that included shipping to Phoenix. No previous Jaguar dealer service history (although traded in at a Jag dealer), no service records, some door dings, a crease along the passenger rocker panel all of which I can live with.

I've had no trouble so far other than the occasional traction control light and it has a tendancy to wander a little. I just changed back to the original 17's w/Michelins that were on it when I got it - they pull slightly right. The 19's w/Pirelli P-zeros were fun at the drag strip but they pulled heavy to the left on the street. So sometime soon I'll order bushings and redo the front end.

By the way, 14.22 on my best pass so far and I'm hoping for better the next time. I've removed the slack from the throttle cable since then and have better tip in response now and I'm hoping WOT means the throttle truly opens wider than it did before. I'm so happy with mine I'm thinking of a project Mark X with the supercharged v8 - probably the one out of my Super V8 when it's time to retire it.

Biggest negative - the cup holders absolutely suck! Sounds funny but I'm on the road most of the day and when it's 110 degrees you need a cold drink. I've flipped a 52 oz cup several times because I can't keep my foot out of it since adjusting the throttle cable.

Funnest car I've had in years so come join the crowd.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about the 2004 XJR S? X350? I cant seem to find a forum that covers them here. I have just been in the XJ8 forum trying to soak up as much as I can.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

All big luxury cars depreciate very fast so a few years down the line become bargains for those like me who have First Class taste, but a Standard Class income. (for Standard read Coach for the US). Nothing wrong with the X350 XJR S, but it will cost you more money, but still a lot less than your fathers XK140 and XKE !!

My 2003 3 litre X350 Sport model cost 1/4 of the new price and had only done 30k on purchase. I have already done 6500 in 4 months,

Old 09-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I am new to the forum as well and I own a 2002 XJR. I absolutely love it and it still looks nearly brand new, performs almost new as well! I have owned it for 2.5 years now and have had no major issues. A few things have been done that are normal such as new belts, thermostat, brakes, tires, bearings, but nothing that is too drastic or unexpected in an 8 year old car.

The reason they are so cheap and, in my opinion, the absolute best value in the used car market is due to their perceived reliability issues. I had 2 1988 VDPs and 1 97 VDP before this car and the 88s definitely lived up to the reliability issues. The 97 was bullet proof and the 2002 is close to as reliable. From 92 or so and earlier the Jags were over-engineered and had issues cropping up all the time. Thank god that perception still exists today or else I would be driving a Honda Civic!

Good luck with the hunt and make sure that you wait for a real gem to come around. Don't settle for a car that is not perfect in your eye and make sure that you get it checked out by a Jag mechanic before you purchase!

Old 09-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just adding onto some of things I have read. When in comes to the traction control system you can repair that for around $400. Some solder work is required in the ABS control module. Except to see some headliner sag also. Around $350 to repair. There are some nice interior upgrades such as chrome rings (3) for your gauges available through Mina Gallery. Shift knobs are available through Ebay. Performance wise: go to www.eurotoysltd.com, www.eurotekdesigns.com or www.Phoenix-coachworks.co.uk. Go to YouTube in the search engine type (buckhead imports jaguar xjr) to see how potent you can make a XJR be! That is my 03 XJR!

Old 09-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm looking into getting a black 2003 just like yours (R Performance pkg) with black interior. I'm in ATL too. BHI been treating you right? Looks like they did some great work. The s/c is howling! Would love to get an exhaust sound like that.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by squish
I'm looking into getting a black 2003 just like yours (R Performance pkg) with black interior. I'm in ATL too. BHI been treating you right? Looks like they did some great work. The s/c is howling! Would love to get an exhaust sound like that.
BHI is very knowledgeable! I would strongly recommend them for any upgrade work.