XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Intermittent sound in Park or Neutral after driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2022 | 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
Maybe this is an opportunity to upgrade your ‘defective’ shift solenoids to the blue top AMG ones? 😄😄
Ok, I'll bite. I've seen this mentioned a few times lately, whats this all about? Firmer and/or quicker shifts? Better longevity? Wear & tear part and might as well replace it with the best new part?

Old 11-24-2022 | 06:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mayhem
Ok, I'll bite. I've seen this mentioned a few times lately, whats this all about? Firmer and/or quicker shifts? Better longevity? Wear & tear part and might as well replace it with the best new part?

The "blue top" solenoids are a Maybach/AMG part that was fitted to later sports models of the transmission. They have a larger opening.
This allows more fluid through each shift. I ran them for a while and preferred the more damped shift of the originals, particularly on the downshifts.
Sat in a low miles rebuilt trans if I ever need it now. Slightly quicker, more noticeably firm shifting.

Old 11-24-2022 | 01:27 PM
|

Well the sound came back, though not as frequent. I drove it to the airport and back, about an hour round trip and everything seemed fine, drove great. I drove to the store today and came home and when I put it in park, I can hear the "pump" sound. It was only one time and not over and over again like before. Not sure if this is a normal sound that comes from the transmission from time to time or not ?.. I am doing the second spill and fill today and I will just have to keep an eye on it. She drives great and I'm not going to worry about it too much anymore. If I have any other issues I will be doing the conductor plate and socket, sooner than later.