XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Intermittent vent flap issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent vent flap issue

Hi guys,

Recently purchased a 99 XJ8 Sport and it's a solid car with a couple of issues. The one that's driving me nuts (especially just now) is the vent flaps don't move when the car is warm.

I've had some diagnostic work done but I'm no nearer a solution. When the car is cold (first start in the morning) all vent flaps move and I can freely move from face to demist to feet etc with no problem.

However once I've been driving for five minutes or so and I turn the system off and back on or stop driving then restart, the flaps will not move at all and I'm stuck with side vents only. This remains the case until the car is left for a prolonged period to 'reset'.

I've had the stepper motors tested and they are fine. I replaced the ac control panel but this made no difference. I've performed a hard reset, ran the ac reset sequencemakes but no difference.

One garage has suggested that it may be the air con control module (bad solder joint?) but this is apparently a 12 hour plus job to get to and replace. Someone else has suggested retracting the foot and demist flap partially and disconnecting the motors as a workaround.

Sorry for the long post but I am struggling badly with this, even more so as I need demist on pretty much every journey just now!

I'm open to any and all suggestion on how to fix this. I have searched the forums but could find anything describing this issue.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any ideas at all? I was thinking of taking her to an auto electrician to see if they can try and trace the fault.