XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Intro and electrical help! 1998 xj Automatic Sovereign

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intro and electrical help! 1998 xj Automatic Sovereign

Hi All

I have just bought a 1998 xj Automatic Sovereign with a LPG conversion..

I was having an issue with the seat as it was stuck in an uncomfortable position so took it to get looked over. It was fixed initially but then we had some smoke coming out of the bottom of the seat and then the seat airbag went off while the mechanic was looking at the switch. [not a good day so far]

So... now all the alert lights are on, the fuel gauge is stuck at full [there is only about a quarter of a tank], the car will not go in to drive at all and the doors will not lock. It will start though [one thing at least]. I am hoping [praying] that the inertial switch has tripped everything so a reset and / or a fuse check will deal with the electrical stuff and I have a new seat on order from ebay.

Initially we identified the issue with the seat as being related to the steering column adjust switch as it seemed to be causing the problem with the seat.

Any other ideas / thoughts?

Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

PJV

Old 05-12-2013, 12:32 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum PJV,

I've moved this from UK Region section to X308 section. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Electrics and smoke - never a good combination.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice on posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 05-12-2013, 12:39 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by PJVeal
................... It will start though [one thing at least]. I am hoping [praying] that the inertial switch has tripped everything so a reset and / or a fuse check will deal with the electrical stuff ......................
The Inertia Switch cuts off the fuel pump.

Intro and electrical help! 1998 xj Automatic Sovereign-inertia.jpg

As the engine starts, the Inertia Switch can't have tripped.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
PJVeal (05-13-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

PJV:
"steering column adjust switch"
So, you think the seat problem was related to the switch that adjusts the steeriing column??? What makes you think that?

And what is the "seat airbag"? Are you referring to the airbag for the passenger seat? And what was the mechanic "looking at" when the airbag went off?

I ask these questions because I am fairly familiar with an X-308's wiring and I do not see a common thread here. Obviously, all of the electrical circuits are interconnected at the power level, but the three circuits you are havinfg problems with isolated for the most part. And I ccannot think of a common harness that could cause your symptoms.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:42 AM

Hi Ross. The idea that the problem was linked to the steering column just came from the mechanic who was looking at the car. The airbag that went off was the driver side one at the top of the seat on the right hand side. He was just looking at the seat switch when it happened so we think there has been a short probably caused by wires getting stripped and touching. My guy is looking at everything again this evening with fresh eyes to see if he can identify what has happened. Currently it's showing errors everywhere so boot open, airbag, etc... : (

Many thanks for your help and hopefully we'll get something sorted soon.

PJV

Old 05-13-2013, 05:07 AM
GGG

Deployment of the side airbag is initiated by a SISM (Side Impact Sensing Module) installed in the adjacent 'B' post. Each SISM transmits a fire signal to the SPS (Single Point Sensing ) unit in the transmission tunnel. The airbag system can only be activated when the ignition switch is in position II or III.

It's looking like a short in the harness under the seat.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Intro and electrical help! 1998 xj Automatic Sovereign-x308-srs.jpg  
Old 05-13-2013, 08:08 AM

Many thanks Graham.

I'll let the guy who is looking at everything know and then take it from there.

Thanks again.

Phil V

Old 05-13-2013, 03:16 PM

Ok got some progress. The body wiring harness has blown completely so I need to get hold of a new one. Does anyone know the best way to do this or where to source?

Many thanks

PJV