XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

IPOD / MP3 / AUX direct input (and I really mean direct!) for Jaguar XJ8/R at last

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the installer was tapping into the wires behind the head unit using Jim Roal's instructions for the motorola t605.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

We also discovered there were some differences between US Spec and Rest of world vehicles. There is an extra bit of wiring loom for ROW vehicles which reqires a mini loom to be made for the kit from the boot to the Console.
Jim's guide was working in the centre console rather than behind the HU, perhaps thats where you're having issues?

Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by shakattk
I believe the installer was tapping into the wires behind the head unit using Jim Roal's instructions for the motorola t605.

Jim Roal's instructions for the T605 use the connector under the console - I followed it in my installation.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

I believe the T605 kit (Like the parrot kit) has lots of wiring options, including wiring for car stereos that do not have factory mutes.

MAKE SURE your installer WAS NOT using any of these wires (which would be behind the stereo). HE SHOULD ONLY connect into the wiring from the phone loom under the centre cubby box. As per Quads recommendations..... get to the mute wire in the centre cubby and ground it..... This should display "Phone" and mute the stereo. Any other behaviour, ie displays phone but doesnt mute could even point to a fault inside the HU, as there is only 1 wire.

Assuming you really are in San Fran, you have a US spec car, which has the muting function in the loom under the cubby. You can see in this thread we found out that the ROW cars have muting on a different connection, but so far all US spec cars we've successfully wired up here had the mute wire in the centre cubby.

This thread is actually the CD changer hack thread, but there is a "proper" Phone thread..... I'm assuming you've seen that thread also ??

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ight=bluetooth

Old 08-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinister 1
I just completed the installation of a Parrot Mki9100 and a Sirius Starmate 5. Everything was done in the console area and I did not have to crack open the CD changer. Best of all I did not have to try and run wires to the trunk.

Instead I slit the CD changer harness open behind the radio and tapped into the CD audio input there.

Everything works perfectly. I'm feeding the radio from the parrot. The parrot switches between my Ipod, Sirius, and Droid phone seamlesly.
hi sinister1

do you know if we could slit the harness somewhere else in the car in order to avoid going behind the radio ?

Old 09-26-2010, 02:11 AM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

i just installed the Motorola T 605...but i have the alternator whine...i am assuming i screwed up the shields on the mic cable? is that normally the cause? also any chance of getting the lights on the T605 control to turn off...they are way too bright...

Old 09-26-2010, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pdog2000
also any chance of getting the lights on the T605 control to turn off...they are way too bright...
I agree! I have mounted 605 on the Vent (Like SARCs Parrot) but I think the lights are too bright! At night I have to double take each car in my mirror because I think it's a Police car or something!! You would've thought they'd put a dimming feature on the 605!!

Old 09-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Finally took the plunge

Well I finally did it... I just installed the T605 with the UIM taped to the dash below and left of the center AC vents as many others have done. I stared at the dash long and hard and decided that overall it was the best position for my personal ergonomics. I bought the cable so that I could simply disconnect the unit when I sell the car if I so choose. It allowed me to only have to splice the wires to the T605 itself but not the factory loom and likewise with the MIC wiring. It took me about three hours, but most of that time was wire stipping and soldering as I didn't want to use butt connectors. I preferred the solder and shrink tube method so I wouldn't have any connection issues to chase later down the road.

One thing I found that I think others may have stuggled with was that upon first test call it wouldn't mute the head unit. I fiddled for a few minutes until I remembered the setting on the head unit for the factory phone was set to off... a quick reread of the manual to see how to enable the phone and bingo everything worked!

It works extremely well. Much nicer than having the stupid earpiece hanging on my ear and deadening the sound of the stereo when the phone is not in use. I also, find I am not as distracted as the sound engulfs me in the cabin rather than just in one ear. I also found that it works through all cabin speakers... I thought that several posts had indicated that it only worked through the front speakers. I found that to be an added benefit. I am fortunate that I have no perceptible ignition whine as others have reported. I worked hard on being sure everthing was shielded and insulated as well as I could make it.

The next project will be to hack the CD either at the cable or at the unit itself. I haven't decided if I will use the T605 as the switching device or just go straight to the CD channel. I'm leaning towards the T605 so that I have the added ability to use BT streaming if I want for future devices.

I highly recommend this install, the T605 is extremely cheap on fleabay, as others have indicated, and the sound quality and ease of install is exceptional.

PS. Many thanks to Jim Roal for his well written document, SARC, QuadManiac, and everyone else on this thread for sharing the details of the install.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

@Midlife

Great news, glad to hear it worked out for you. Could you do us all a favour and post the procedure to enable the phone on the factory head unit ?? I didn't know this could be enabled and disabled..... I guess I was just lucky as mine worked first time (even though my car never had a factory phone)

Actually I have switched over from the Parrot to a T605. I recently got a new cellphone (HTC Evo 4G) which can stream music through bluetooth so I took advantage of the T605 connection for that. (The Parrot can't do this). The audio signal from the T605 goes straight into my butchered CD player. There is also an additional aux input on the T605 so you can have another sound source also (ie satellite radio)

If your cell phone has bluetooth streaming capability, I strongly recommend you go through the T605. It is a very elegant solution. I can stream MP3s, Pandora, etc from my phone through bluetooth to the T605, then when I get a call everything mutes and I hear the call, then when I hang up, the music comes straight back on again.

Interestingly I have actually hidden the T605 control unit inside the centre cubby because I find that I never have to press anything on it. This is mainly because my cellphone sits in a cradle on the left hand side of the dash board where I can see it for navigation, so I can answer and reject calls off the phone. (And also see who is calling)

Old 09-30-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by SARC
@Midlife

Interestingly I have actually hidden the T605 control unit inside the centre cubby because I find that I never have to press anything on it. This is mainly because my cellphone sits in a cradle on the left hand side of the dash board where I can see it for navigation, so I can answer and reject calls off the phone. (And also see who is calling)
I had thought about putting the control unit inside the cubby, but my cradle for my BB is a suction cup model and only stays in place for about 3 weeks before it falls off. I decided that i liked the look of the T605 UIM rather than my cell in it's cradle, so I give up CID for cleaner asthetics. I may rethink this if I do use streaming. My BB does support it but currently I don't have any music on it and I'm not a huge pandora guy... yet. My main things I use on the phone while driving are voice dial and reading email. Not having the phone cradled keeps me from breaking the law all the time by reading and worse yet responding to email while I drive.

Here is a link to the 2000 model year audio manual. http://www.jaguar.com/content/market...m_Handbook.pdf

Section 2-5 page 16 in the PDF contains the procedure under preset 4. It controls the mute function. Here is the excerpt from that page of the manual.

Radio set up modes
This function allows the radio to be set up to suit the user.s

operating preferences. By moving into
SET UP mode and using
the preset buttons, the owner or Jaguar Dealer can choose
whether certain radio facilities are active or switched off.
When in

SET UP, pressing the relevant preset button, as
detailed below, will show on the display the facility that has
been selected and its state. The selected facility can be changed
to the user.s preference by pressing the preset button again.
To enter the set up mode:

Press Tape Eject and AM/FM
buttons simultaneously.
The display will show

SET UP. The following preferences can
then be selected and changed, in any order, as long as no more
than 15 seconds elapse between Presets. After 15 seconds the
display will clear.
Preset 1

Press Preset 1 to select the market mode, thereby
enabling or disabling RBDS, depending upon RBDS
availability in the user.s country.
Preset 2

This Preset controls the Tape Clean reminder
facility. To switch off this reminder, press the Preset

button until

TAPE CLN OFF shows on the display.
Preset 3

This Preset controls the Aerial Clean reminder
facility. To switch off this reminder, press the Preset

button until

AER CLN OFF shows on the display.
Preset 4

This Preset controls the telephone Mute facility. If a
Jaguar telephone is installed, turn the telephone
Mute

on by pressing the Preset 4 button until
TEL ON

shows on the display.
Preset 5 KEY OFF EJECT

. Sets the cassette tape to
automatically eject when the ignition key is turned
OFF.
Preset 6

Blank.
Preset 7 DIVERSITY OFF

. Used when Diversity Aerial
System is connected to the radio.
Preset 8 AF ON/OFF

. Used when specific RBDS problems
occur, that may be helped.
Preset 9

Blank.
Preset 0

This Preset is used to select one of the following
regions: Europe, USA, Australia or Japan. Regional
settings determine the correct frequency increments
required for seeking stations, automatic tuning etc.
Note: Regions are preset at the factory.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:20 AM

... If your cell phone has bluetooth streaming capability, I strongly recommend you go through the T605. It is a very elegant solution. I can stream MP3s, Pandora, etc from my phone through bluetooth to the T605, then when I get a call everything mutes and I hear the call, then when I hang up, the music comes straight back on again.

SARC... as I don't the the audio hack done yet on the CD player yet, I was reading the functions on the T605, and I thought it indicated that I had to hold the center button down on the UIM for 6 seconds to enable the audio mode? If yours is in the cubby, how do you stream the audio without touching the UIM?

Old 10-03-2010, 07:20 PM

@Midlife

This is mainly because my cellphone sits in a cradle on the left hand side of the dash board where I can see it for navigation, so I can answer and reject calls off the phone. (And also see who is calling)
Hey SARC - any chance of a picture of your cradle? I've been considering the same thing... tired of having my phone slide around on the shifter veneer when I'm using it for GPS navigation. I haven't seen any cradle solutions I'm satisfied with yet. A picture of your's might help.

Midlife - holding the center button down causes the T605 to switch from AUX in to BT streaming audio mode AND remotely sends a command to your phone to begin streaming... however, you can manually start streaming audio on the phone (using the phone's buttons to play audio), and it will send command to the T605 to switch into streaming mode. So SARC does his via the phone... you and I would do it via the T605 control pad.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 10-03-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
... Midlife - holding the center button down causes the T605 to switch from AUX in to BT streaming audio mode AND remotely sends a command to your phone to begin streaming... however, you can manually start streaming audio on the phone (using the phone's buttons to play audio), and it will send command to the T605 to switch into streaming mode. So SARC does his via the phone... you and I would do it via the T605 control pad.
Thanks Quad. That makes sense.

I too am curious of the cradle that SARC uses. I like mine, but it just doesn't stay put. The last place I had it was on the farmost left side of the windshield just above the side glass defroster vent. It worked very well there, and was out of the way and not very noticeable. I just need a cradle that would actually stay put without having to permanently mount it to the dash.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

@Midlife

Thanks for the user manual. Its amazing what is "hidden" in these cars.

Some pictures of the cradle I have....

This picture from the outside shows the power cord connected to the base of the cradle. This is routed from the centre console under the steering wheel and up through the side demist vent.

Evo sitting in the cradle. The phone automatically goes into "car mode" when it is docked in the cradle as the relevant pin in the micro USB connector on the bottom is grounded. Car mode means big icons, which hopefully are easier to read at a glance while driving

Cradle without the phone in. Micro USB connector on bottom provides power.

The cradle is very solidly made and has a good grip on the screen. It does not shake or vibrate with the phone in it, which is the first cradle I have had that didn't. It was expensive (60USD) but I think it's worth it.

As Quad said, the phone can switch between streaming audio and a call automatically. Just for some fun, here is a video going from music to phone, then back to music again.... http://www.vimeo.com/15553331 Note : The volumes appear different (the music was louder than the phone).... this is purely due to me not setting the volumes up correctly on the phone before I took the video. I have now set the volumes so everything (music, calls, navigation) are of equal volume.

One thing that I noticed this evening coming home from work when I actually got an incoming call was that when I pressed the answer button on the phone, the phone connected the call but went into its own handsfree speaker mode and cut off from the T605. I'm pretty sure now that to get the system to work properly (ie keep connected to the T605) I am going to have to be able to press the answer button on the UIM, which means mounting it somewhere I can get to it...... I'm going to fiddle around with some settings on the phone (Android has a lot of settings) but I'm already 90% sure I'm going to have to press the button on the UIM... will post back when I have a conclusion. But, just to reiterate, apart from this incoming call issue, I can drive everything else from the phone, ie start an outgoing call. Start and stop music. Start and stop nav sound, etc.

While I was in the video mood, I also added this video of an Application called Torque for Android. This app uses the info from the OBD port (which is getting to the phone by a seperate bluetooth OBD dongle which permanently lives in my OBD port) It can graph, display, log any data that is available on the OBD port...... http://www.vimeo.com/15553622

This app can also read and clear fault codes so basically I don't need a code reader any more.

Last edited by Sarc; 10-05-2010 at 12:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Balcanthez (11-21-2010)
Old 10-05-2010, 12:28 AM

Very nice cradle. That is the exact location I chose for mine when I had it mounted. Mine was very cheap, and I see yours is specific for your EVO phone. The app on the phone was really cool. That may have me rethink getting an android phone!

Old 10-05-2010, 01:22 AM

SARC, I thought it was illegal to support anything from a suction cup to windshield in California - why I haven't done what you are doing - looks good though!

If you mount the UIM in the ashtray, you can simply pop open the cover and push the button when needed... (assuming you don't smoke and need the ashtray) I carved a piece of heavy foam to fit into the ashtray with a flat top surface, sprayed flat black and double stuck the UIM to it.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 10-05-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

@Quad

I have been stopped a few times by "the law" here in CA and I've had the cradle present on all occasions and they've never mentioned it. One time they actually commented on the phone. (Positive comments not negative)

I am going to mount the UIM as you suggested. Will post pics when I get it done. Biggest issue I see is making a big enough hole in the side of the ashtray so that the UIM connector can fit through.... so far my hole is only big enough to get a 3.5mm jack through, but I guess I am going to have to make it bigger for the crazy jack thingy for the UIM

Old 10-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

I had my 605 hidden in the cubby, but moved it to the vent where your Parrot was (Sarc) because it was a bit of a pain opening up the lid each time I got a call. I have a poor habbit of leaving the phone in my pocket so I use the 605's buttons.

Does any one know what a Diversity Aerial is?

@ SARC
Why does the "laws" of the world seem to be attracted to you?

Old 10-05-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
...Does any one know what a Diversity Aerial is?...
An antenna tuned to detect political correctness?!

Old 10-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
...If you mount the UIM in the ashtray, you can simply pop open the cover and push the button when needed... (assuming you don't smoke and need the ashtray) I carved a piece of heavy foam to fit into the ashtray with a flat top surface, sprayed flat black and double stuck the UIM to it.
I was looking at mounting it in the ashtray, but I drive daily with my favorite travel mug in the cup holder. With the cup holder open and said cup at rest, it was my opinion that I would have trouble seeing the UIM and then run the risk of tipping over my coffee while I fumble to touch the buttons!

Quick Reply: IPOD / MP3 / AUX direct input (and I really mean direct!) for Jaguar XJ8/R at last