XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

IPOD / MP3 / AUX direct input (and I really mean direct!) for Jaguar XJ8/R at last

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@Midlife

Understood. Jags do not seem to be built for people who can multitask :-)

@ Stu

I'm not sure why I spend so much time talking to the law here..... perhaps its because my car is always super shiny, yet I look like a homeless person most of the time..... :-)

Old 10-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

@ SARC
LOL so does that mean you dress like Mel Gibson in Braveheart then? :P

That said I recently worked out why people always drive so slow in front of me on the drive home from work; They think I'm Polis in an unmarked Jaguar! Being a Coach driver I have a uniform that comprises of: White Shirt, Navy Blue Tie and a pair of Navy Blue Epaulets with 2 stripes on. This came about when I was driving with my jacket on, then when I took it off at the lights the guy in front started driving slow. I tried it with others and has the same effect. So on that basis, if I flash my lights.....:P

Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

@Stu

I would think the police would be quite pleased to get unmarked Jags :-)

So, I fitted my UIM in the ashtray....

As you can see I have used tasteful sticky on carbon fiber which has made the car about 10MPH faster :-)

Old 10-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

[quote=SARC;252917... yet I look like a homeless person most of the time..... :-)[/quote]

Hmmm... let me see, San Jose, looks like a homeless person but drives a Jag XJR... that spells software engineer?!

BTW, the ashtray install looks great. The carbon fibre was the perfect choice. I still say I won't be able to use this given my need for my morning coffee!

Last edited by MidlifeXJR; 10-07-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

Semiconductor Marketing actually, but, yes, I get your point :-)

Old 11-11-2010, 01:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@SARC, what brand is the EVO holder? I've been looking online and haven't found that model...

Chuck

Old 11-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

@Chuck

I PMed you also, but for anyone else, it's called the HTC EVO Car Upgrade Kit (Not exactly obvious that it means cradle)

It's available from the Sprint online website

http://shop.sprint.com/NASApp/online...ubPageNumber=0

Old 07-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

My .02- I mounted the T605 UIM on the side of the center console below the handbrake lever. Out of sight, but I can reach it with my right hand if I need to use it. Am working on a switch under the armrest (like the X300 valet switch) to switch between streaming and CD's. I tried putting the switch between the negative in the CD player- the streaming works fine, but the CD player sounds low and distorted. I am now looking at the relay solution to divert all three wires.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Default People say I sound dull when I use my Motorola T605

which I recently installed in the armrest console. I did everything as recommended in the Ryle manual. Could the reason be that I put minus and plus and plus to minus in the mike cord? Or something else. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

I am halfway through the install. Total price with shipping, $26. It all went very smoothly, and the bluetooth portion is working well. Next comes the CD hack. Here's a couple pointer from todays experience:
1. Don't bother unhooking the battery, it isn't necessary. However, it's not a bad idea to pull the fuse, or at least be more careful than I was when stripping wires.
2. I drilled the plastic below the ashtray insert, on the very RH side. This allowed pretty access to run the wires for the control panel. I drilled about 8 small holes in a rectangular pattern, then redrilled them with a bigger bit. It's a quick way of making a rectangular hole.
3. I then made a metal plate to sit on top of the ashtray. Therein lies the problem. I see now that SARC has his panel sitting below the level of the surrounding material. His way is probably better, but I made mine work eventually.
4. I used the velcro mounting pad (don't ask me why). Two things- it's way too wobbly, and it raised the panel up so that the ashtray lid would not close.
I remounted using the sticky tape on the panel, but had to mount it pretty far aft. Having it centred caused interference with a rib on the lid.
Since there's only 5 buttons, I don't think it's necessary to see the panel to operate it.
5. It all tests very well, I'm really happy. Interesting point, I get the phone audio through all of the speakers in the car, not just the front ones.

Next up. the CD hack, from the head unit end if I can. I have to tear it all out to change the climate control backlighting anyway.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by oligarh
which I recently installed in the armrest console. I did everything as recommended in the Ryle manual. Could the reason be that I put minus and plus and plus to minus in the mike cord? Or something else. Thanks in advance.
What is the Ryle manual? Where is the mic located? Is it a T605?

Old 08-12-2011, 09:28 AM

It is Motorola T605. The mike is on the driver's side of the overhead console. By manual I meant the PDF file with instructions posted on this forum. Everything works except for dull sound. Sometimes, callers complain they hear echo (when they talk). I have done some research and I think microphone polarity has nothing to do with it.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:40 PM

Howdy. I'll be attempting this mod soon(Phone and CD). The t605 is ordered and I've read this entire thread and the pdf instructions a few times and I'm still having trouble deciphering what connectors and wires/lengths I need to get other than what comes in the t605 kit.

Did anyone save their shopping list? Or remember what I'll need???

I have a 2000 xj8 sedan with no factory phone, but fully functioning CD changer in the trunk/boot. I'd like to run the CD audio back through the t605 like I read is possible as well.

I'll be enlisting the help of my father(think Yoda with a soldering iron and wiring diagram) and would like to avoid having to stop and run to the store multiple times.

We'll be doing an ashtray mod for mounting the t605. Since we'll be messing with the ashtray already (and I also need to replace a light bulb behind the ac temp display) I figured I'd tap into the cig lighter from underneath and run usb power up through the driver side demist vent, like I saw on here, for my cell phone charging car dock.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have callers audio on all the speakers, rather than just the front, you increase the chance of your directional mic picking up and causing echo from the rear speakers. You are better off using the jag tele speaker wiring and limiting your phone audio to the from speakers, with mic under dash pointed at your head or in factory location. People here have said under dash lip is better,esp for convertibles.
Originally Posted by oligarh
It is Motorola T605. The mike is on the driver's side of the overhead console. By manual I meant the PDF file with instructions posted on this forum. Everything works except for dull sound. Sometimes, callers complain they hear echo (when they talk). I have done some research and I think microphone polarity has nothing to do with it.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:01 AM

I've got a 2000 XJ8 with only tape deck. Yesterday the fake cassette that transmits music from Ipod into tape deck (via jack out of headphone Ipod jack) adapter got caught inside deck, (seriously stuck) and after some time I got it out. But now, no cassette will go in the slot. So there still must be some way to get an output stereo line connected to the wires that come off the heads in the player...(FM transmitters on the IPOD..(no bluetooth) are kinda flaky in my big town.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to say today, I finally went the way of the 'butcher your cd player' today, and... Ahahahaha Lol hehehe!!! At last, my own little XJ auxillary in (and bluetooth phone connection point). This must the best way to get mp3 in my opinion, after trying the splitter cable, the wired tape and FM transmitter routes. Upgraded the standard (yukky) Phillips speakers too, and now it sound like a stereo that belongs in a sixty grand car. Thanks to the posters of the link to this mod. I'm happy.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:56 AM

Can I get a link to your butcher CD player mod and what new speakers did you put in? Thanks...I think mine in my 2000XJ8 are alpine, and are pretty fine....(hey ten years and not getting weird...not bad)

Old 06-23-2012, 05:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah sure,
The post is under a bluetooth phone link, but the cd alteration is right at the end of it, this is the link:
http://j.roal.home.mchsi.com/X308Bluetooth.pdf

I've fitted Pioneer TS -A17131 3 way speakers, though I think anything would be better than the Phillips ones. A previous Jag I owned had the Alpine speakers and yes, I agree, they're not bad at all.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:54 PM
Received 129 Likes on 61 Posts

I just did the Motorola Bluetooth modification today but went a little farther with the modifications so I figured I would share.

First off, I wanted the mic to be a bit more "built-in" so I put it in the overhead controls - here's how...

Open the mic up. I was able to pry the cap off with the help of a little screwdriver

Locate where it is going

Drill a pilot hole

Measure mic opening

Drill to size

Press mic in, I had to file a little slot in there to make the mic go in all the way.

Then I routed the mic wire around and put a small connector on it

Added the mating connector up top

Mic installed!

Now I had to mount the control, I also wanted to get a USB power in there while I was at it so I gutted a lighter socket USB charger for this next part, made a plastic insert for the ashtray, cut the bottom off and drilled a pass-through hole in the ashtray receiver in the console.

USB charger guts in the ashtray

Wired in and mounted.

I plan on redoing the ABS plate that I used with a burlwood veneer so it is set down a little too low at the moment to allow for the wood.

Thanks for the wonderful thread, hope I was able to add something constructive to it.

Attached Thumbnails IPOD / MP3 / AUX direct input (and I really mean direct!) for Jaguar XJ8/R at last-20130215_215846.jpg   IPOD / MP3 / AUX direct input (and I really mean direct!) for Jaguar XJ8/R at last-20130215_215909.jpg   IPOD / MP3 / AUX direct input (and I really mean direct!) for Jaguar XJ8/R at last-20130215_220026.jpg   IPOD / MP3 / AUX direct input (and I really mean direct!) for Jaguar XJ8/R at last-20130215_220038.jpg   IPOD / MP3 / AUX direct input (and I really mean direct!) for Jaguar XJ8/R at last-20130215_220107.jpg  

IPOD / MP3 / AUX direct input (and I really mean direct!) for Jaguar XJ8/R at last-20130215_220335.jpg   IPOD / MP3 / AUX direct input (and I really mean direct!) for Jaguar XJ8/R at last-20130215_220755.jpg   IPOD / MP3 / AUX direct input (and I really mean direct!) for Jaguar XJ8/R at last-20130215_221736.jpg   IPOD / MP3 / AUX direct input (and I really mean direct!) for Jaguar XJ8/R at last-20130215_222341.jpg   IPOD / MP3 / AUX direct input (and I really mean direct!) for Jaguar XJ8/R at last-20130215_222555.jpg  

IPOD / MP3 / AUX direct input (and I really mean direct!) for Jaguar XJ8/R at last-20130215_232441.jpg   IPOD / MP3 / AUX direct input (and I really mean direct!) for Jaguar XJ8/R at last-20130215_234324.jpg   IPOD / MP3 / AUX direct input (and I really mean direct!) for Jaguar XJ8/R at last-20130216_000956.jpg  

Last edited by Probesport; 02-15-2013 at 11:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Roger77 (02-16-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 04:38 PM
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Hi All I just ordered 5 set of the connector to connect with the factory plug, plug and pins.
My cost inc shipping is $30.00 so I have 4 to sell for $6.00 each + freight any one wants one PM me.

Quick Reply: IPOD / MP3 / AUX direct input (and I really mean direct!) for Jaguar XJ8/R at last