XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Ive had it with the XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ive had it with the XJ8

First it was a tensioner problem then my transmission went out, when i recieved the car back from my mechanic after installing another transmission, i have to shift to to 2nd then back to D in order for it too get into the red light in the d gear, why is this?
then i was driving about 70mph and my check engine light went on, when i try to to accelarate harder, it hesitates to go,
it seems like it's choking, i also get performance restricted once in a while, plus i got "electrical fault" for a second.
i love this car but i dont know what to do no more

Old 01-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Ive had it with the XJ8

The first thing that I would do is to take it back to the place that put the new tranny in it and have them make it right! Then I would get a code scan to see what else is going on. It might be some pretty simple stuff.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it back to your tranny service immediately - they obviously screwed up the install (or rebuild?) and the longer your wait, the less likely they will eat the bill. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

1st id clear the codes then id fix the adjustment in the shifter cable... so you can have the D light up properly... it may fix all you problems.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:35 PM

your right, i went to my mechanic and he said they had a hard time adjusting the cable
because it had stretched and has become more brittle, he said i need to replace it,
we are still not sure what the check engine is, we think its either the o2 sensors, dirty injectors. it seems like the check engine turns on when i switch to a different gas brand, maybe just a coincidence?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:00 PM

The check engine light could come on for several different problems. You said you had the trans replaced. Was it rebuilt or did they put in and off the shelf rebuild. The check engine light could come on if the trans is not working correctly. Also if the trans is not the one that came out of the car your computer may need to be reprogrammed. The computer may need to relearn had to make the car run like its suppose too. The best way to fix most problems is to disconnect the battery + cable, wait 10 seconds and reconnect, this will clear all codes and give your car a fresh start. Then start the car and drive it 4 to 5 miles, make stops and start ups so it can shift thru all 5 gears, If the check engine light comes back on and stays on than have it scanned. Do you have any Auto Zone stores where you are ? they will scan it for free. It maybe the o2 sensor. There are many things that could go wrong on cars like this, but don't give up hope. most problems are simple believe it or not. Also note that there was a recall on many 98's for throttle problems, If the car has had several owners they may not have gotten the recall notice because Jag doesn't know who owners it now. Good luck, hope this helps
ps.don't just let any body work on this car. Try to find a Jag mechanic

Old 01-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Jag_genius is correct. Fix the trans problem first. The hardest lesson to learn in mechanic-ing is to fix the known bads and see what problems are left after that. It's amazing how many problems are the result of a single cause. Fix what you know is bad and see what all it clears up! It's frustrating at times but the end result is worth it.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:40 PM

Thanks guys , you are all extremely helpful, im gonna fix that trans cable problem but my mechanic in giving me the run around, he doesent seem to want to deal with this car anymore, so im taking it straight to a Jag dealership, ill keep you guys updated