XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

J-gate selector

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 08:46 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default J-gate selector

So, I am not quite sure what the purpose of being able to shift the car manually -ish between second and fourth gear does beyond just being a plaything.

Anyone know what the actual purpose for this is?

Also, I noticed that even though it's a 5 speed transmission it only goes through 4 gears (up to 100mph). I saw in the owners manual something about using the key to enable the 5th gear, why would I want to do this?
Also, how do I do this?

Also, is it bad for the vehicle/transmission to run it in 2nd gear when driving though town (about 35mph)? Would this have any benefit, or would it harm the vehicle?

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2015, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

The manual selection is mainly for downhill driving, using engine braking, and saving your rotors and pads from overheating.
I am just back from a week-long mountain trip, and did whole stretches manually in 3rd and 2nd gear.
No way the ECU will do that for you.

If you don't engage sport mode (the button in the centre console, down of the shifter), the car will start in 2nd gear, thus only 4 gear up.
Engage it and it will start from 1st.

And besides of the a.m. mountain driving, leave it in auto, that is part of the VDP comfort .

Old 04-29-2015, 08:34 AM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I've read that leaving your car in lower gear whilst driving at lower speeds can help improve fuel economy, is there any truth to this? In town, by the time I am doing 30mph I am already in 4th gear, shifting around 3k RMP each time.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Yes, there are many opinion on how is best to drive.

I normally leave the tranny in "D" and done. Simply because the car will decide which gear is currently needed. Override is always possible.

It CAN be more efficient to drive in a lower gear at a certain speed. My 5th will, when it is warm, engage around 60 kph. Problem is, the drivetrain then "rumbles" and "drones". Which is *****... So I do sometimes select 4th for that time.

I also tend to, instead of pressing the kick down, quickly switch the lever say to 3rd to accelerate hard. Not because the kickdown doesn't work, but because the transmission is quicker when YOU select your desired speed than it is when it decides. With kickdown, it will say go down a gear, then decide oh, not enough, and then go down to the next. Where as simply chucking in 3rd will take it instantly to the 3rd gear instead of going through 4th.

When I really drive hard (I don't often but when I do), I will treat the selector lever like a manual and select each gear (apart from 1st) manually and decide then, when I want it to shift upwards... So instead of having to floor it to keep in gear, I can gently throttle it and done...

With selecting the gear in the right moment, I've been able to get an average consumption of 9.7l/100km. That is only 1.8l more on 100km than my old 2.0l 4 banger needed! But then again, I have no hills or so around me... The nearest hill is about 20 km away!