XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Jacking and Jack Support Points

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 08:16 AM
Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Jacking and Jack Support Points

2001 XJR

I need to get the car up off the ground and supported so I can get everything in the drivetrain moving and try to find a noise I'm getting from the rear end of the car when driving. My undercarriage is in good shape and almost rust free and whenever I raise the car to do a brake job or swap wheels or whatever I jack it at the relevant corner on the box jack points, but apart from setting a jack stand under the lower control arms or something I'm really not sure how to properly support the car safely and not damamge it. The jack boxes are far too short for me to raise the car with my floor jack and be able to get a jack stand in there.

So what do you guys do here? Just use the pinch weld area to raise the car and get a jack stand under the boxes or something else? I always hesitate to use pinch welds with a floor jack due to past experiences where the welds would just fold over on me on some cars. I have no manual with my car and the online versions that I've found so far are all incomplete and only go as far as operating the sunroof, no maintenance section.

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2023, 12:53 PM
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I use the cast diff carrier to lift up the rear end. Seems very sturdy and hasnt caused any issues. Front is more tricky but i generally put wheels on ramps and then use the center crossmember to lift again, remove ramps and insert stands

Old 05-04-2023, 07:36 AM

Thanks Quad! Hope to be putting this to good use tonight.

Old 05-04-2023, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 342 Posts

According to the Jaguar Service Manual the car may be lifted as follows:

To lift one front wheel place the cup of your floor jack under the front suspension lower control arm with
a block of wood between the jack and the spring pan. The wood (use hardwood) disperses the load and
prevents damage to the spring pan.

To lift one rear wheel place the cup of the jack at the outboard end of the rear suspension wishbone, again
using a block of wood and taking care to avoid catching the hub carrier (large aluminum casting) or the
grease nipple.

To lift the entire front end place your jack under the center of the front crossmember with a piece of wood in
between. The cross member is the large structural piece under the engine and between the left and right
lower control arms.

To lift the entire rear end place your jack under the rear suspension tie bar. This is the plate directly below
the actual differential itself. And, yes, use a piece of wood between the jack and the tie bar.

(Some old pieces of 2X4 s or other hardwood is helpful)

Your jackstands should be placed immediately under or next to the four jacking pegs. The pegs are visible
directly aft of the front tires and directly forward of the rear wheels. These pegs are mounted in a reinforced
structural area. If your stands have a flat bar at the top, place them right next to the pegs. If they have a
cup-type top, place them right under the pegs. Some forum members fabricate wooden spacers to securely
engage the pegs and the jackstands.

Old 05-04-2023, 08:03 PM

Thanks Randy!

I got it up in the air securely, couldn't really see the rear tie bar from the lowered position so I opted to try the pinch welds very slowly, worked like a charm and now I know where the rear tie bar is for future adventures.