XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Jags and cops...tickets :<}

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 04:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Jags and cops...tickets :<}

I don't know about the rest of you, but the silent v-8's can sneak up on you in the speed department. This is a thread to discuss your worst ticket with your jag!

Ive had mine for 2 months and actually got my only ticket ever in it the day I purchased it. 95 in a 65 in some horrible stretch of the boondocks driving from salt lake city to phoenix!

Oh and 2 photo radars here in az, but noone i know ever pays those lol.

If anyone else has any fun stories share them!

Old 05-14-2010, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

No tickets . . . yet, but it is easy to find the speedometer needle straight up where most cars have 55 or 60.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the right to remain silent. Anything I say can and will be used against me......
I'm SUCH a good boy!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can only imagine once i get mine finished...it seems like these cars will get moving and not feel the speed as you would in a normal car...
My worst ticket tho not in a jaguar must be told anyway for the sheer BS luck ...
1993 I was driving my brothers 300zx twin turbo from my parents house to the store 2 towns over to get 1 patiostone i was missing.. my car was under the influence of horrible ownership so was broken. It was the first time ever driving this car alone and i left the stop sign halfway to this town with authority, and the posted speed was 80km/h I never took my foot off the gas.. I rounded an S bend with corn fields on each side.. accelerating even more..I looked down and i was at 218 just as i looked back up to see cherries coming at me.. being 17 yrs old I imediately started to slow down, downshifting and pulled over.. it took the cop 5 min to turn around and get back up the road to where i was. He came to the window like a storm trooper screamed and yelled at me and asked why I thought he shouldnt take me to jail right then and there.. I said.."because i stopped and you never wouold have caught me or my plate" he paused a minute.. asked for my license which was at home on my desk in my bedroom also an alberta drivers license as I had just just moved back to Ottawa from Calgary and hadnt changed it over yet..he went to his car came back 15 min later with a failure to surrender my drivers permit ticket..$91.25 Mom and Dad paid the ticket the next day ..lol (can you say spoiled brat?)

Old 05-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got stopped a few times when I was driving a 260Z. Never been stopped in the Jag. The cruise control helps. On the highway it's set for 3 mph over the speed limit.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

If you get stopped, speak to the cop in Serbo-Croat or something that sounds vaguely like it, offer him a Lithuanian 100 Litas bill and then start singing the Kyrgystan national anthem which of course everyone knows. If he joins in the anthem then you know you are in trouble.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dinger
If you get stopped, speak to the cop in Serbo-Croat or something that sounds vaguely like it, offer him a Lithuanian 100 Litas bill and then start singing the Kyrgystan national anthem which of course everyone knows. If he joins in the anthem then you know you are in trouble.
LMAO.. good one!

Old 05-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Radar detectors pay for themselves very quickly if you drive long highway stretches.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:45 PM

It's only a matter of time for me. I sometimes forget about the photo radars here in Phoenix. I've been flashed a few times but haven't got anything in the mail yet

Old 05-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Agree about the radar detectors, and they are very easy to install in the XJ....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...radar+detector

I've never been stopped here in the US so far, but I got stopped a few times in the UK.... final occurrence was being clocked at 110mph (while hard on the brakes...... I was over 130mph when I saw the nice police officer) Also in a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, same as a previous poster......

End result was a 500 pound fine and a 12 month ban. The reason why I was going so fast was that this was my last time driving the car as I was delivering the car to my friend who had just bought it off me. 3 weeks later I emigrated to Singapore where I had a driver so I didn't have any need for a license for a while anyway !

Old 05-15-2010, 12:48 PM

lazyj..get a PO BOX so when they serve you your ticket in person they can't find you lol..has worked for me nicely.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:24 PM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

Yeah, it's hard to talk your way out of a photo radar NOTICE (what they send you in the mail is not actually a ticket).

But, the good news for those in Arizona is - DPS has announced last week it is NOT renewing Redflex's contract as of July. That means for all you lucky ones in AZ, the cameras are coming down and there will be no "expert witness" to show up in court and testify against you...at least I doubt if Redflex will send any employee if they're not getting the big "paycheck" from AZ....Smoke em if ya got em!

Old 05-17-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by theusualsuspect
lazyj..get a PO BOX so when they serve you your ticket in person they can't find you lol..has worked for me nicely.
That is an awesome idea! And to hear that the cameras might go away for good is even better!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:09 PM
ud

If you're in AZ BE CAREFUL - DPS is pulling its contract with Redflex, but there are no state statues preventing local municipalities from using them. Several do - Surprise, Tempe, Scottsdale, etc.

With AZ, there is a "movement" to get a vote on the November ballet to ban photo radar in the state for good. If that initiative does not make the ballet, then locals, AND DPS can reinstate photo radar sometime in the future, or....the next time the state needs money. So, if you're in AZ and you don't like the idea of the state "shootin' fish in a barrel", you WANT to see the initiative make the november ballet.

Actually, if I lived in AZ I wouldn't mind the cameras. They're SO predictable, and real cops keep busy with other stuff. The few times I've driven in them it was a blast "working" the roadway between cameras, and so were all the other hot cars!

Old 05-17-2010, 10:39 PM

I only mind them bc I feel sometimes they are faulty. Ive gotten tickets for speeds 5mph over what i was going before and I know my speedo is correct and I was using cruise control. One flashes me everytime on the 202 east and now ive timed it to either give it the finger or hide my head so it looks like noone is driving the car lol..its become a game for me and getting a ticket in the mail where it looks like noone is driving the car is definitely fridge worthy!

Old 05-17-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by SARC
Agree about the radar detectors, and they are very easy to install in the XJ....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...radar+detector

I've never been stopped here in the US so far, but I got stopped a few times in the UK.... final occurrence was being clocked at 110mph (while hard on the brakes...... I was over 130mph when I saw the nice police officer) Also in a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, same as a previous poster......

End result was a 500 pound fine and a 12 month ban. The reason why I was going so fast was that this was my last time driving the car as I was delivering the car to my friend who had just bought it off me. 3 weeks later I emigrated to Singapore where I had a driver so I didn't have any need for a license for a while anyway !

They are such difficult cars to drive the speed limit.. it seemed the powerband never ended and for sheer fun.. was a step behind my 06 elise i had for a whopping 2 weeks till my ex made me bring it back before it got me laid lol

Old 05-17-2010, 11:13 PM

haha Ghost ridering the camera priceless! I live in Ontario canada and we arent allowed radar detectors.. only allowed them I believe in manitoba, alberta and BC from my recollection. Here they actually have radar detector detectors.. so if you have one on and you drive by a cop he gets a signal and taces it to your car, they will dismantle your car until they find it and give you a huge fine. We also dont have speed cameras.. but we do have red light cameras that take a picture of the plate and fine the owner of the vehicle and nomatter who was driving.. unless the car is stolen and you have proof.. the fine is irreversable. I know in alberta they had photo radar when i was 16 yrs old and we used to get plate covers that caused the light to reflect and block out your license number.. but then those became illegal too..
Also last year they changed our speeding laws in the province of ontario.. if you get caught driving 50kmph over the speed limit anywhere at anytime you are considere street racing and get a massive fine, a suspension and possibly have your car crushed at your expense. I understand the reasoning behind it.. but doing 150 on a freeway with 6 lanes (toronto there is 12 lane freeways each direction) it isnt hurting anyone with the way cars are built today. I find it just rediculous.. I bet any of your jags can stop faster from 150km/h to zero than any opf the pollutant cars like the cavalier, hyundai accent etc doing 100 km/h. They should someway make the speed laws according to the vehicle and driver..unlikely to ever happen.. but in a perfect world...

Last edited by bigexpectations; 05-17-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:50 AM
ud

In the US, some states (VA comes to mind) now impose a charge of reckless driving along with speeding for any speed 20mph or more over the limit.

The speeding fine in most states will run about $200/$300, but the additional reckless driving adds another $1,000 for a grand total in the neighborhood of $1200/$1300...But we must fill those state budget shortfalls somehow!

On speed cameras - like the ones in Phoenix along the 101 and 202, many people that I know who live there do NOT go through a camera, even at the speed limit, w/o covering their face with their hand. Just don't cover it with your watch hand. One guy did that and, in court, they proved identity because he was wearing the same watch to court as the one captured in the picture covering his face.

For those of you in AZ - Remember the "monkey guy"??

Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bigexpectations
haha Ghost ridering the camera priceless! I live in Ontario canada and we arent allowed radar detectors.. only allowed them I believe in manitoba, alberta and BC from my recollection. Here they actually have radar detector detectors.. so if you have one on and you drive by a cop he gets a signal and taces it to your car, they will dismantle your car until they find it and give you a huge fine. We also dont have speed cameras.. but we do have red light cameras that take a picture of the plate and fine the owner of the vehicle and nomatter who was driving.. unless the car is stolen and you have proof.. the fine is irreversable. I know in alberta they had photo radar when i was 16 yrs old and we used to get plate covers that caused the light to reflect and block out your license number.. but then those became illegal too..
Also last year they changed our speeding laws in the province of ontario.. if you get caught driving 50kmph over the speed limit anywhere at anytime you are considere street racing and get a massive fine, a suspension and possibly have your car crushed at your expense. I understand the reasoning behind it.. but doing 150 on a freeway with 6 lanes (toronto there is 12 lane freeways each direction) it isnt hurting anyone with the way cars are built today. I find it just rediculous.. I bet any of your jags can stop faster from 150km/h to zero than any opf the pollutant cars like the cavalier, hyundai accent etc doing 100 km/h. They should someway make the speed laws according to the vehicle and driver..unlikely to ever happen.. but in a perfect world...
I lived in Ontario when they had photo radar for a short period.
It was the Ray, NDP party. When the Harris, Conservatives got voted in they quickly banned the silly things (one reason they got elected)
I got nailed the last day they were in effect,got the ticket two weeks after they were gone. I was "ticked" to say the least (had to pay the fine)

Unlike some places we never knew where they would be.They were in movable vans that got moved quite often, probably after a few hours in one spot.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 PM

lol i do remember that guy..im actually thinking about wearing my michael meyers mask next time i take that route and get it to flash me..that would be another fridge worthy ticket.

Quick Reply: Jags and cops...tickets :<}