XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Jaguar to Chevy Engine Conversions? Pros/Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 01:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a freak accident with my '99 XJR a little while back and had my camshaft crack in half. Since this was a job I do not have the equipment / expertise / time for, I took it to my friend who owns a shop and has worked on all my cars. Due to the risk of likely bent valves (along with other likely possibilities) and the labor involved he recommended I look into getting a new engine as that would be a cheaper and essentially more effective alternative. I stated looking into chevy conversions but like previous people have mentioned, the swaps are usually not very simple to do with later models and all said and done, you will be spending much more than if you just found a replacement engine. Factor in resale and the fact that it is not longer a 'Jag' and the decision seems fairly easy. Seeing as my car was in pristine condition, between the money I would get for it with the bad engine (next to nothing) + the price of a new engine, I knew I still couldn't get a nicer car for the money and found an engine with 60,000 miles on, got my baby back, and couldn't be happier

Just some food for thought... good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Lady Jay (08-29-2015)
Old 08-29-2015, 06:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. Am going to replace with Jag engine.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:21 AM

I am going to replace with Jag engine and monitor CLOSELY! Thanks!

Old 08-29-2015, 06:27 AM
Default Jag Engine It Is!

Originally Posted by Lady Jay
Lady Jay died this morning. Her heart stopped at approx 8:30 a.m. No compression. Overheated and without warning - kaput.

So instead of buying another Jag XJ8 aluminum engine or burying her, I'm considering this conversion that a friend back in Annapolis did to his car, quite successfully.

Appreciate any feedback here!
Dr. Rocky at Team Motometrics is reviving Lady Jay with a Jag engine. His points were valid along with all of your input. Thank you for such wonderful feedback. Thanks, again, Eon, for recommending Rocky.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:51 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Neat Stuff
Jaguar Specialties

This folks sell lots of Jag parts including used engines with warranty.
They will ensure you get the correct engine so the computer will work.
98-03 engines are not all interchangeable without lots of extra work.
Jaguar Parts|Land Rover Parts|Coventry West

Old 09-03-2015, 04:47 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Amazing how quickly these cars overheat. I drove less than 1/2 mile after overheating before towing to mechanic. Thanks, food for thought.
It was overheating long before the temperature gauge told you. The gauges in our cars are fancy idoit lights that stay centered until things get really bad.

This is the second time today I have recomended the Realgauge kit by our own Jagwrangler.

Google it and check it out, easy install, advanced warning and audible alarm.
Vector

Lady Jay (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 05:53 AM

I will ask Rocky about installing Realgauge - definitely need a better indicator than the idiot light on my XJ8. Thank you!

Old 09-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lady Jay died this morning. Her heart stopped at approx 8:30 a.m. No compression. Overheated and without warning - kaput.

So instead of buying another Jag XJ8 aluminum engine or burying her, I'm considering this conversion that a friend back in Annapolis did to his car, quite successfully.

Appreciate any feedback here!
Hi, what exactly happened to your blown engine or are you not bothering to have it diagnosed?

Old 09-09-2015, 08:38 AM
Received 129 Likes on 61 Posts

Pro: Reliable, cheap and easy
Con: Everybody hates you and you are a terrible person.

Lady Jay (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 07:12 AM

The thermometer was not working and it overheated and fried the engine; no compression - per my new Jag shop here in Florida recommended by a current member of this forum. I have no other way of knowing.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:14 AM

Ha! Well, I've decided to be a good person and replace with a Jag engine. Too many question marks around the conversion. Thanks.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:21 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Been There Done That

I just bought an XK8 coupe with a blown engine and I have a rebuilt 5.3/460LE with a knarly cam and larger torque converter going in it. Car is being shipped from JaguarSpecialties in northern Calif to my engine guy. I also bought Andrews complete conversion kit. Less than $10k in the whole thing... I can't wait to get my hands on it

Old 05-29-2019, 12:31 AM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by BigAlBre

I just bought an XK8 coupe with a blown engine and I have a rebuilt 5.3/460LE with a knarly cam and larger torque converter going in it. Car is being shipped from JaguarSpecialties in northern Calif to my engine guy. I also bought Andrews complete conversion kit. Less than $10k in the whole thing... I can't wait to get my hands on it
You could get a factory powered X100 cabrio for well under $8k. Coupes even less.

Count Iblis (06-10-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 05:17 AM
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey hey settle down boys
what it comes down to is if the body of the car is good and interior
then they are a classic in their own right.
the cost to replace the existing engine and box is far cheaper than the conversion
now if you do the conversion what do you
well an engine that is so common there everywhere and every young hoon's got one, sure you get extra grunt, but! these jag engines rev a lot harder and the torque pull is constant all the way up.
if you have aL/H/D the kits are abundant
here down under not so
at the end of the day after all the 2 and thro I stuck with the car and restoring it to original it gets more valuable every day. especially to me
the choice is yours

Old 05-29-2019, 06:45 AM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchy
well an engine that is so common there everywhere and every young hoon's got one, sure you get extra grunt, but! these jag engines rev a lot harder and the torque pull is constant all the way up.
Yep, plus you're going back in technology with the transmission considering you are dropping one gear. I wonder what the top speed of these lumps is. A factory powered X100 does 154 mph and O-60 mph in the mid six second range.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:33 PM
Received 59 Likes on 29 Posts

Before I bought my '98 VDP I looked at a couple of Chevy conversions, one in particular was done very well, but they both had the same problem, the instruments, tach, speedo and other parts of the instrument panel did not work, and the owners didn't know how to get them to work, I believe one had the odometer, voltage and temp working.
clive

Old 05-29-2019, 10:46 PM

yes that is a great point that turned me off the conversion idea
see some gauges use positive and some use ground neg and I am sure Jag works on positive to sending units then back to gauges
can you imagine the relays etc to change over the switching for each gauge it's a pandoras box alright.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:26 AM

Fortunately Andrews kit addresses the instrument interface and everything works as it should.....believe me I hate wiring and would never undertake figuring that out. In this forum Andrew addresses that very issue. I believe his is the only kit that addresses the instrument interface. That's what you're really buying, the rest could be handled by any competent builder.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:42 AM

Yes Andrew is the goto guy for sure the photos I have seen of the finished project are fantastic really neat work
but in the end what do you have a Jag no!, a kit car maybe, a Chev no! and as I said for me this is everyone's got a gen3 running around
how about a dodge viper engine? that would be different

Old 05-30-2019, 09:47 AM

OK I'm done with this discussion.(sorry I even posted it)...good luck at 100k miles when the jag engine takes a dump!!

Quick Reply: Jaguar to Chevy Engine Conversions? Pros/Cons?