XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Jaguar V8 camshaft snapped, Help :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Jaguar V8 camshaft snapped, Help :(

I changed my top tensioners. after changing them, turned it on and everything was running smoothly, without any clicking noise.
Then went for a drive, as I pulled out of my street it made one clonk noise and engine stalled, with me rolling down the hill to find an appropriate spot to pull on the side.
Here are the pictures of this misery:
Jaguar V8 camshaft snapped, Help :(-5kiir2p.jpg
Jaguar V8 camshaft snapped, Help :(-sphc4ln.jpg
Jaguar V8 camshaft snapped, Help :(-s8jtujb.jpg
Jaguar V8 camshaft snapped, Help :(-orb7jjy.jpg
what do I need to do next? Ordering new camshaft and replacing it sounds too easy.
what did I do wrong? :0

Old 08-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 867 Likes on 715 Posts

Has to be worth a try (assuming the rest of the car is worth the investment). Next time, with the zip tie method, check that the cams are lined up correctly, then turn the engine, from the crankshaft bolt, to the point where the exhaust lobes have the least tension . . .

Old 08-20-2014, 07:50 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mr.Muscle, that's quite an introduction...

When you get a moment, stop by the new members area ==>> New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

The killer will be if the valves have come in contact with pistons...if not then putting in a new cam would be easy enough and would sort you.

If you've got bent valves then it's head off and take it from there. If you have to pull a head then it's getting into the realm of engine swap (because you never know if bits of the cam will have made it down to the bottom end...)

I would be pulling the cam out and looking at the break, put the bits together and check are there any big pieces missing. If yes then that puts a cloud over the rest of the motor. If no, and the valves are OK then just put in a cam & drive it....

I do have a bit of a gung-ho attitude to these sort of things...others might see things differently...

Old 08-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Sounds like it's jumped a few teeth, did you prime the oil system before starting it up, I always recommend pulling the fuel pump relay and spinning the engine dry to get oil up into the secondary tensioners as they rely on oil pressure to activate them.

What likely happened is the chain slipped, so it's either a rebuilt head which will cost more than the car is worth, or find a replacement head, and pray that's the extent of the damage. The stall will be valves meeting pistons I'm pretty sure.

As with any engine work, check twice carry out once.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,802 Likes on 2,237 Posts

It's unlikely it jumped teeth, the camshaft flats look to be in alignment. More likely it cracked due to the caps being installed and tightened unevenly while the camshaft was under load, not having been rotated to the position of minimum load.
End effect is the same, probably bent valves at the least.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 412 Likes on 307 Posts

From the first two photos it looks like the cam flats are still lined up. So, it's just those last 5 exhaust valves that are in jeopardy. Maybe the cam got cracked while tightening it down and then broke under running strain. Sad story, but it may not be fatal.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

my bad, just read the description and not viewed the damage (via phone) it might not be doom and gloom, I'm sorry if I came across as such - the main thing is to assess the condition of the valves.
If the head bolts have no center pop marks then they can be re-torqued, then center-popped. They can be used twice. I assume you use a torque wrench, which is vital on these engines. Head gaskets are tuppence.
The thing I would suggest you get is a cam locking plate for re-install of a s/h or original head with new cam. Not an expensive tool and as the op found the cams are hollow this is why I can't recommend the zip-tie method. Now seen a few of these on the forum.
Mr muscle I'd send you mine if you had more posts, but you can pick the kit up for peanuts on ebay.
Fingers crossed the valves are ok.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Default Thank You

Thanks to everyone who replied, I will open it up and seek for further damage.
Great people over here in the forum
Will keep you posted about further happening.
Meanwhile going to buy a Skoda to keep me going til I have more time to inspect the Jag.
Walking is for peasants, Real classy people drive skodas

Old 08-22-2014, 10:30 AM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

It's good that someone recognises the Skoda for what it is......a reliable workhorse that never lets you down. I have an Octavia diesel bought new in '06, 138,000 miles and never missed a beat, 48mpg, nothing better. My Jag....now that's another story !

Old 08-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

It is a bit hard to see, but it appears that the arrow on the number 8 cam cap is pointing toward the rear. This may have been the fatal error...all arrows should point toward the front of the car.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 08-22-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 412 Likes on 307 Posts

That's a very interesting observation about the cam cap/saddle orientation. I also noticed the last cam cap/saddle has a new shiny bolt in pics 1 and 2 that doesn't match the color of the others. Hmmm, detective time.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:45 AM

Thank You for your replies, I just went to see my car and indeed the number 8 is wrong way around. have not had time to inspect it further.
I snapped one bolt but luckily it came out easily, therefore there is one new shiny bolt.
I will try to go and see if there is any further damage soon, hopefully on Friday.
Still of foot and without jag and could not get skoda, if anyone has a cheap run around to offer in Kent I'm interested.
one pic of jag when it was going strong this summer:
Jaguar V8 camshaft snapped, Help :(-ldiwotu.jpg

Old 08-28-2014, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

looks like the entire Mini could park inside the wheelbase of the Jag