XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Jaguar XJ x308 3.2 engine change

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar XJ x308 3.2 engine change

Hi dear collegues!
First of all I apologize for my English, it is not my native language.

I have a car mentionned in the subject with AJ27 engine (as far as I know from manuals - 4-wires ignition coils, MAF sensor etc) and my engine recently failed because of cam chain tensioners. Now I need to decide what to do with it. The first way is full repair of the engine, maybe replace nikasil liners to the steel ones. But all this job is rather expensive. The second and more interesting way for me is to change the engine. I found that almost there are no 3.2 engines in satisfactory conditions, but the availability of the 4.0 engines is much better. The problem is that I heard, that not the all 4.0 engines are compatible with 3.2 engine electrical modules. But at the same time, some 4.0 engines are compatible. Please tell me which of them are compatible and how can I know it?
Thank you.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,519 Likes on 3,930 Posts

I think none of them are.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,355 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I've done the conversion successfully. 3.2 and dropped a 4.0 in.
This on a 2000 model with AJ27 systems, there's one process you'll need to carry out and that means taking the timing cover off. Handy because you'll want to inspect the timing on the replacement anyway. Removal of the VVT units and replace them with the flywheel sprockets from the 3.2 along with timing cover and cam covers. You'll also need to install 2 bolts to block the VVT oil galleries.

It's a nice upgrade as the 3.2 has a shorter diff ratio, meaning the car is more lively.

There is a Jaguar TSB on the above process, I'll post it when I locate. Hope that helps.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's great!
As I knew today, the engines to be replaced must have the same set of sensors and electrical equipment. Now the vvt issue is clear.

If you have something to add, please, I will be glad to receive any additional information.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:16 AM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi Sean B. I would be very interested in such an upgrade too! My 3.2 Nikasil engine feels somewhat under powered, and the advice I get is that it is impossible due to 1) the VVT's, and 2) the ECU, is this not the case? However, both used 3.2's and 4.0's are available from my local breakers for the same price! I was waiting for a 3.2 with steel liners from the breakers, but I know they have 4.0s available now!

It appears from what you have experienced is that replacing the camshaft sprockets for the 3.2 ones, then blocking the VVT oil ports with a suitable bolt, all could be well, is that right, or is there a little more work to do? I would be most appreciative if you would also send me the TSB link you mentioned to darknia.

Thanks.. Paul

Old 07-14-2023, 12:55 AM
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by euphonium01
Hi Sean B. I would be very interested in such an upgrade too! My 3.2 Nikasil engine feels somewhat under powered, and the advice I get is that it is impossible due to 1) the VVT's, and 2) the ECU, is this not the case? However, both used 3.2's and 4.0's are available from my local breakers for the same price! I was waiting for a 3.2 with steel liners from the breakers, but I know they have 4.0s available now!

It appears from what you have experienced is that replacing the camshaft sprockets for the 3.2 ones, then blocking the VVT oil ports with a suitable bolt, all could be well, is that right, or is there a little more work to do? I would be most appreciative if you would also send me the TSB link you mentioned to darknia.

Thanks.. Paul
Hi Paul,

This is something that I'm considering doing on my 3.2 X308. I'm therefore very interested to find out how you got on.
Incidentally, as a tuba player myself, I noticed your 'euphonium01' username. XJ8 boots/trunks are all very well, but if you want to insert an instrument with a bell bigger than about 15", you need to remove the spare wheel cover/floor. Not such an issue with a euph though!

Old 07-14-2023, 03:30 AM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 3.2 to 4.0

Originally Posted by gerardbooth
Hi Paul,

This is something that I'm considering doing on my 3.2 X308. I'm therefore very interested to find out how you got on.
Incidentally, as a tuba player myself, I noticed your 'euphonium01' username. XJ8 boots/trunks are all very well, but if you want to insert an instrument with a bell bigger than about 15", you need to remove the spare wheel cover/floor. Not such an issue with a euph though!
Hi, thanks for your message.
As it turned out I didn't do the upgrade, I went to get the 4.0 and was offered a steel lined Jaguar replacement, proven 36.2k on the clock, at the price I couldn't resist.
But.. it might be something to consider as I have just got an X350 2.7 diesel, it flies in comparison, so not too sure what to do. Going to ask around and see what comes up.
Good luck if you do the mod, would be interested in what you find and what the procedure is.
Paul

Old 07-16-2023, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,355 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I'm back on here so I can help if anyone wants to do the upgrade, but I must warn that a tired ZF trans wont last long with a 4L with no VVT. Good form to inspect the valve block for cracks or ridges in the bore of the solenoids, fit a transGo kit and service.

The process is as I've described above, it's not much more than changing the timing chain tensioners. I'll dig some pictures out and update this thread, maybe a how to of sorts.