XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Jaguar XJ8 1999

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XJ8 1999

Hi all! New to all this and I have a head scratcher of a problem but for those that know what the problem is it might be an easy one I'm hoping!

My dad has a Jaguar XJ8 and loves this car! I'm an electronics engineer of 30 odd years and good at my job I like to think, I've also done a lot of auto electrical work, A lot!

The problem being my dads cars driver side window started acting strange not working or erratic at times then his central locking started acting strange! now not working at all!

It was taken to several "good" garages/mechanics and put through computers etc so we were told and no faults showed up! none of the garages/mechanics can solve the problem or know what it is and charged a hefty fee for that information!

I've decided to take it on and thanks to a post on this site I did find a problem!
When cranking the engine over that is now not starting but it is cranking the negative terminal battery terminal was heating up to the point where it would give you a bad burn if you held it!
At the battery - post connector, The battery's ok it was the heavy lead crimped clamp going to the chassis of the car was the problem!
going mad hot when engine cranking! now no problems with the windows! but the central locking wont work via the electronic keyfob and the engine wont start?

Questions...is the immobilizer kicked in?
does the keyfob need reset/reprogrammed and how?
PLEASE HELP! I want to sort this out for my dad!

And I'll just add that the battery when charged up and reconnected I noticed it was sparking a bit when I reconnected the battery as it was draining when it was going through its fits! the car is drawing 3 amps dropping to 1.2 amps after 1 second or so when the battery is first reconnected,

Last edited by steveinfrance; 09-30-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:34 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by whitenorthstar
PLEASE HELP! I want to sort this out for my dad! And I'll just add that the battery when charged up and reconnected I noticed it was sparking a bit when I reconnected the battery as it was draining when it was going through its fits! the car is drawing 3 amps dropping to 1.2 amps after 1 second or so when the battery is first reconnected,
Re the electrical draw, most modern cars that have electronic systems will draw a certain amount for up to 30-40 minutes after shut-off as all their systems power down. To be sure about your Dad's car, you would be wise to check for unknown draw after at least 30mins of turning the ignition off.

Good luck

Dave

Ps Perhaps replacing the remote fob battery might help, plus look in the handbook for re-initialising the remote.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Cambo kindly suggested this thread would do better in the appropriate technical section so I've moved it.
Also - please put some line breaks in your posts - it makes them much easier to follow (I've done this for you)
and please visit New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
so we can say 'Hello'

Old 09-30-2012, 05:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Test all the rear lights. The Security Locking module might be causing issues.

There's a number of posts on re-programming the fob to the car - a fresh battery is a good suggestion (in the fob)

So you cured the issue with the battery, a bad earthing on the Neg strap at the battery?

There's another you may want to inspect underneath the car, (level with the bell housing on the trans from body to block, and also check the big black cables running either side of the innder wings in the engine compartment, one runs to a brass nut attached to the brake housing, the other runs to the two fuse boxes on the passenger side, confirm all the connections are good. Clean them up and re-bolt up.

Does the car crank but not fire? if so it might need oil down the bores to bring compression up - the dreaded bore wash scenario...