XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Jaguar xj8 executive x308 2002 gearbox issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 10:10 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jaguar xj8 executive x308 2002 gearbox issue

It would appear this is another XJ8 gearbox issue thread.

I have read all the gearbox threads I can find using the search facility but can't find anything that matches my issue.

I took the car out for a blast the other day and it ran perfectly fine. When I got home I shifted to reverse to back into my drive and there was a loud bang. I immediately put the car in neutral and then hesitantly moved to 1st and again another bang. I return the shifter to reverse another clunking sound and was able to coax the car into the drive.

I left the car sit over night hoping the Jaguar fairy's would magically mend it whilst I slept and come the morning all seemed well again the car started with no faults indicated and drove normally for about a half hour (I stayed local whilst doing this). After the car had warmed up the fault reappeared.

This confuses me me because it would seem the gearbox is alright but not alright. If anyone one has any ideas I would be very grateful for their input.

All the best Steve.

PS the 2001 in my Sig is my previous Jag.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,370 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Steve, the bang is what experienced members would state as a dying 'box.

The events go like this - the trans solenoid block gets a groove worn into it, the selector solenoid binds on the groove - leads to pressure spike, and a 'bang' shift. A few of these breaks a circlip that holds the A drum and leads to the A drum damage and a rebuilt gearbox. Sometimes the solenoid block can crack from pressure also.

But, there's a kit offered...so long as the A drum and circlip are intact should cure the fault...check this thread. I would suggest ordering one, researching a trans service, gather the tools and get it fitted along with new fluid and filter.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0/#post1264511
Try not to drive the car until this is addressed.

The following users liked this post:
SBryant (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 02:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
Steve, the bang is what experienced members would state as a dying 'box.

The events go like this - the trans solenoid block gets a groove worn into it, the selector solenoid binds on the groove - leads to pressure spike, and a 'bang' shift. A few of these breaks a circlip that holds the A drum and leads to the A drum damage and a rebuilt gearbox. Sometimes the solenoid block can crack from pressure also.

But, there's a kit offered...so long as the A drum and circlip are intact should cure the fault...check this thread. I would suggest ordering one, researching a trans service, gather the tools and get it fitted along with new fluid and filter.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0/#post1264511
Try not to drive the car until this is addressed.
Many thanks for the reply.... This sounds like a win situation since there is some degree of chance the drum and circlip are still intact (given this is the first instance of this fault)