XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Jaguar xjr 2001 knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar xjr 2001 knocking noise

My Jag xjr knocks as soon as drive or reverse is engaged, however back into neutral or park there is no noise at all. The car shifts through the gears great and the engine is superb. Any thoughts?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

By 'knocking' do you mean standard engine predetonation? Real predetonation should set the CEL and a code. Got codes? What is your engine RPM in drive? Should be a little over 500.

Also, and just a WAG, any noise from belt drive area at low RPM? Belt tensioners issues have been reported from around your model year.

A dirty throttle body can cause idle issues. See GUS's description for cleaning here: Jaguar throttle body cleaning xk8

Let us know!

. . . and you would get a lot more input if posted over on the XJ (308) forum. Maybe one of the Mods will move this thread for you.

Last edited by test point; 12-28-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:27 AM
Received 8,299 Likes on 5,009 Posts

Supercharger drive coupler failed????
Torque converter faulty or fasteners loose.
Gearbox fault???
Engine bearings failing??
Piston 'SLAP'?????

bob gauff

Old 12-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Moving you over to the XJR section for 2001.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by test point
Welcome to the forum!

By 'knocking' do you mean standard engine predetonation? Real predetonation should set the CEL and a code. Got codes? What is your engine RPM in drive? Should be a little over 500.

Also, and just a WAG, any noise from belt drive area at low RPM? Belt tensioners issues have been reported from around your model year.

A dirty throttle body can cause idle issues. See GUS's description for cleaning here: Jaguar throttle body cleaning xk8

Let us know!

. . . and you would get a lot more input if posted over on the XJ (308) forum. Maybe one of the Mods will move this thread for you.
Thanks for your reply.
I don't belive this is a pre detonation noise and this is not an idle issue. The revs are indeed just above 500 rpm in drive. When you mention tensioners, the chain, fasterners, tensioners etc - these have all recently been replaced. The sound I'm hearing comes from the supercharger top cover area - and the supercharger is almost brand new, all supplied by local Jag dealer.

I'll get it in for diagnostics and see what comes out of that.

thank you again.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by NRGJaguar
My Jag xjr knocks as soon as drive or reverse is engaged, however back into neutral or park there is no noise at all. The car shifts through the gears great and the engine is superb. Any thoughts?
The only difference between reverse/drive and neutral/park is that in 1 case the engine is connected to the rest of the drivetrain and in the other one, is not.

Put the car in drive, step on the brake and rev the engine to 2500 rpm's
Is the knock still there?
If yes, the noise is load related and come from the drivetrain
If no, it is vibration related such as a loose heat shield or exhaust part banging around

Old 01-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Angry engine knocking noise 2001 XJR

The diagnosis finally showed that the issue is caused by the main bearings being on their way out. This car has had all the required dealer services throughout its life, every 3k new oil and filter, fluid changes, complete tune ups etc.
And to add to it, the transmission is now failing. Any sensible person could only conclude after $18k spent on repairs (over and above all the service costs) to this Jaguar within the last 2years plus the above horror story, that Jaguar Cars are an utter disgrace.

This is the very worst car I have ever seen.

Regards,

Old 01-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,370 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by NRGJaguar
The diagnosis finally showed that the issue is caused by the main bearings being on their way out. This car has had all the required dealer services throughout its life, every 3k new oil and filter, fluid changes, complete tune ups etc.
And to add to it, the transmission is now failing. Any sensible person could only conclude after $18k spent on repairs (over and above all the service costs) to this Jaguar within the last 2years plus the above horror story, that Jaguar Cars are an utter disgrace.

This is the very worst car I have ever seen.

Regards,
That's incredibly unfortunate. A car of that year is approaching the best of the model. I cannot understand how a Mercedes Benz gearbox, and main bearings can go out like that. I had a 2001 XJR cover 285,000 miles without failures, just servicing. It even had plastic timing parts. It's now powering an XKR without issue, (the engine and trans).

I guess yours was a late blooming lemon. Or it had a spell of sustained demands without fluids down the line.

Last edited by Sean B; 01-16-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 344 Likes on 298 Posts

That is unfortunate -- Your car should have the updated bearing?

How many miles?

Normally they are very reliable.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought my 02 XJL VP Jag at 56,000 miles, almost 5 years ago. Today it has 83,000 miles. The engine and drivetrain have been almost flawless with regular but routine maintenance, including changing some of the flexible hoses as preventive maintenance. A water pump was replaced under factory extended warranty.

My GUESS is that either: 1)You are getting some incredibaly bad (and expensive!) diagnositcs, or 2) Your engine/drivetrain has been subjected to some type of major trama that you don't know about.

That engine is usually very reliable and a good model year to buy now because many of the problems from the previous few years were solved.