XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Jaguar XJR performance chip???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not get a performance chip. The car is already fast. What I would order is the Mina Gallery Performance 3 Package. The package includes a supercharger pulley upgrade, Direct Air-Intake and Mina Gallery Custom Cat-Back exhaust system. The package cost around $900 from www.minagallery.com. I have the package on my 03 XJR R1 and it makes tremendously difference in performance and driveability. The exhaust sounds only kindly louder the stock with larger exhaust tips then stock. The air intake sounds very good under full throttle and barely noticeable during normal driving. The supercharger pulley is very noticeable throughout the entire torque curve causing the car to accelerate like wild animal unleashed from a cage! I definitely recommend this package! You will not be disappointed!

Old 02-19-2010, 01:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIAPA
I would not get a performance chip. The car is already fast. What I would order is the Mina Gallery Performance 3 Package. The package includes a supercharger pulley upgrade, Direct Air-Intake and Mina Gallery Custom Cat-Back exhaust system. The package cost around $900 from www.minagallery.com. I have the package on my 03 XJR R1 and it makes tremendously difference in performance and driveability. The exhaust sounds only kindly louder the stock with larger exhaust tips then stock. The air intake sounds very good under full throttle and barely noticeable during normal driving. The supercharger pulley is very noticeable throughout the entire torque curve causing the car to accelerate like wild animal unleashed from a cage! I definitely recommend this package! You will not be disappointed!
could we get a video please im thinkin about doing this upgrade to my xjr
and i would love to hear the exhaust and the supercharger
does it whine louder?? thanks

Old 02-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh trust me, I know ALL about that package from Mina. I'm thinking about getting that package, and then taking off the catalytic converters (I would put them back on for inspection). Now, since you have the kit on your XJR, do you loose performance when your engine is hot with that intake? I heard you start to loose power when the engine starts to warm up. Also, I reccomend going to eurotoys.com. They have EVERYTHING from a new supercharger, intercooler, pulleys (creating more boost than mina's pully for less money), etc.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pulley is the way to go for performance mods.

Air filter?? Maybe but i´m alrgic to open aftermarket airfilters... Maybe a AEM Dryflow But it´s important to feed it with COOLD air.

Exhaust yes that will do a differnce. Taking of the cats will only fick the engine manegement upp due to the 4 O2 sensors (2 before cats and 2 after and the ones after the cat check that the cats are working properly. I know people that hav eproblems with this using racing catalyctic converters.

And if you wont to go mad about power go for an opcon compressor swap then we are talking major power.

But the car will beat the Audi if the Jag is putting out what it should... 0-60 in 5.2 i dont think the Audi will do that.

One downside whit changing the pulley for the supercharger is that there will be a great increse in air temperature that the stock chargecoller cant handle. This will become very noticed when you drive the car hard for some while. But if youre just going one drag it will work fine.

There are kist avalible to fixs the heat soak as bigger radiator and better water pumps and there are also lower temperature termostats.

But the cheapest way to get more power are definetly to change the uypper pulley for a smaller one

Old 02-20-2010, 11:01 PM

Ok, so def. do not remove cats? Well do you know where I can get a more free flowing cats? I def. want the pulleys, and that eurotoys place has intercoolers, thermostats, and water pumps. I really want Mina exhaust. Oh, I have yet to race him. That Audi is a 2002, and has less than 2000 miles on it! Thats how much he drives that car. BUT he did just buy and e36 M5 That will be a fun race

Old 02-21-2010, 06:30 AM

E36 M5???? that car doesnt exist E36 is the 3 series the M5 comes as E28 E34 E39 and E60

M3 Comes in E30 E36 E46 and E92.

If it´s an E36 M3 you should still have a fair chance if it´s an E39 M5. the you will loose

Old 02-21-2010, 06:37 AM

I should start with an upper pulley and se how satisfied you become.

The Mina Exhust doesn´t do so much.. Have it on my XJR.. Sound is to low aswell... I´m going to build me an exhuast of my own. thinkeng if replacing the big centerbox with an X-pipe.

And yes there are better flowing cats at an cost that is huge. Arden have them. But you might still get problem with the o2 sensors... Better leave it stock. atleast for now as its an realy expensive mod and it will not get you alot more horses. When you have uppgrade your pulley and after cat exhaust and still arent satisfied maybe i will go for the cats then.... And put on an opcon supercharger... You will easilly pass 500bhp.. And then i think maybe the tranny will have a hard time holding together

Old 02-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts
Thumbs up

I have only recently put sport catalysts on my car and am very happy with these. Besides the fact that they do work well with the O2 Sensors (so it is possible and know this also from more), they also give more sound to the exhaust.

I bought mine (for a XKR) from http://www.eapj.com, these are actually from Larini.

Arden did have issues with their sport catalysts in the past with the O2 sensors, not sure if they have sorted it. A friend of mine still has these for an stype, so if anyone is interested in these just pm me.

Do agree when it comes to true performance, nothing beats the twin-screw.

So far the ZF box seems pretty strong, I know a Stype with about 430 rwhp (hopefully more soon) is already running for more than a year, and is using the power as much as possible ;-).

Old 02-21-2010, 01:34 PM

Sorry your right. e39. and may I also correct that I did not buy a 99 XJR. I ended up with a 2002 XJR. I was looking at getting an x pipe also. Not sure where you can buy one. I dont have the equipment to make one... Now what would an opcon supercharger be? Im prety sure the tranny can handle 500 hp. just not too much more than that.

Avos, does larini makes cats for the XJR? I will have to look into it. I do love twin screw. Gives full boost throught the rpm range. I also love prochargers though. My fathers mustang pushes about 720 hp, and his procharger gave it about 300 of it!

Old 02-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004x-type
Oh trust me, I know ALL about that package from Mina. I'm thinking about getting that package, and then taking off the catalytic converters (I would put them back on for inspection). Now, since you have the kit on your XJR, do you loose performance when your engine is hot with that intake? I heard you start to loose power when the engine starts to warm up. Also, I reccomend going to eurotoys.com. They have EVERYTHING from a new supercharger, intercooler, pulleys (creating more boost than mina's pully for less money), etc.
I don't notice a loss in power. The air intake has a metal heat shield surrounding it which helps to keep the heat of the engine away from the cool air blowing into air intake. Overall I am very satisfied with the package.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:54 PM

Well thats good. I was talking to the people at eurotoys, and they told me they dyno tested the intake, and it was GREAT with the engine cool, but when it got hot, the performance dropped. I know it makes a great sound. I had one on my x-type, and it sounded amazing! I might still get that package, but am looking at all of the options to efficiently increase the power substantially.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member

You would need to ask http://www.larinisystems.com or http://www.eapj.com/ for an XJR, maybe they have something, not sure.

You probably get more top end power with a procharger but it takes long before the power kicks in as it will only be in the top end rpm range. Personaly I like the almost flat linear power curve of the twin-screw, power all the way ;-).

Here is a nice writeup comparing different forced inductions:
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ion/index.html

Old 02-23-2010, 06:01 PM

I talked to Larini, and Fuchs. Neither one will make a system for the XJR.... I even tried getting them to make a one off for me for alot more, but no....

Old 02-23-2010, 06:03 PM

And I agree. I like power throught the power band, not just the top

Old 02-24-2010, 12:47 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry, maybe you can try http://www.millteksport.com as another resource, but then I am exhausted in tips.

Making these shouldn’t be that hard, anyone who can make an exhaust can make a cat, however you need to know what material to use, but any good catalyst company should be able to help here I would guess. The expensive route would be to buy the XKR Larini one (as that one works with the Jaguar O2/ECU), and weld new in and out pipes to it.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:23 AM

Sounds great! I might just do that. Thank you!

Old 03-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Received 117 Likes on 54 Posts

Hi guys...been watching the tread, first time posting...

I have a 2003 Jaguar XJR and since the warranty is out, i'm going to have some fun....

About the ECU... Go to Paramount Performance(they are pro's at Jaguar tuning), also, i'm looking at their racing cats. I have a supercharger pulley but i'm waiting till i have the ECU done to install it. I'm also going to add a cat back exhaust and maybe lower pulley, so i'm guessing I should get the Jag up to 470-480hp. Good for an estimated 4.4 0-60.

I've seen Eurotoys and Eurotekdesigns... They have some interesting stuff, but Paramount Performance are supposed to be the top dogs next to Arden for Jag tuning.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:41 PM

Avos, may I ask which supplier you used for the twin-screw upgrade? Seriously considering it for my 01 XJR. How difficult was the install? I'd appreciate any info you could give. Thanks

Old 03-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004x-type
Sorry your right. e39. and may I also correct that I did not buy a 99 XJR. I ended up with a 2002 XJR. I was looking at getting an x pipe also. Not sure where you can buy one. I dont have the equipment to make one... Now what would an opcon supercharger be? Im prety sure the tranny can handle 500 hp. just not too much more than that.

Avos, does larini makes cats for the XJR? I will have to look into it. I do love twin screw. Gives full boost throught the rpm range. I also love prochargers though. My fathers mustang pushes about 720 hp, and his procharger gave it about 300 of it!
X pipes are all over eBay for $40

Old 03-11-2010, 06:47 PM

Yah, they may be all over ebay, but are they any good