XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Jaguar XJR X308 100k miles service and reboot in Dubai

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 08:28 AM
Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Jaguar XJR X308 100k miles service and reboot in Dubai

I bought an almost new XJR in 2003 (2000 MY but dealer had it in storage for a couple of years ... they said). Have had it dealer serviced and maintained regularly until last year when they told me I need to buy a new radiator fan assembly for close to $1500 (it's $500-$600 for OE in USA if you search online).

I was also given a list of various other parts that needed replacing - engine mounts, suspension parts, etc. Total about $5,000-$6,000 just for parts.

To add insult to injury, when I got the car back after the check up, there was a crack in the exhaust manifold. Hard to imagine how to blame them for that, seems to be it was just bad luck, as in quiet engine when I gave it to them, noisy exhaust when I got it back. I tried to blame them anyway but didn't get very far.

Parts price was reduced to about $4,500 after discount as a special offer "all-in". When I asked (by email) if that included labour I got no reply. That prompted me to investigate further if I could get parts more cheaply and outsource labour. I'm not willing or capable enough to do my own maintenance apart from simple stuff such as filling petrol tank, driving it to car wash place, etc.

Car mileage is up to 160,000 km (100k miles). Mostly highway driving. This is my to do list. I started this topic because I started replying to someone else with a to do list and figured I might as well make my own and keep it a bit better organised here.

Car is in Dubai, UAE, so this might be useful to anyone else trying to figure out how to buy and ship car parts cheaper from USA, Europe, or UK, without having to dive into the wreckers yards in Sharjah (which are insanely expensive even if you can find something in my experience).

My list of things to do.

1. Important essential do before driving any further (in theory, in reality I still drove the car):
- secondary timing tensioners (I learnt from reading this forum, dealer didn't tell me anything).
- cooling fan unit or motor replacement, one not functioning.
- upper front suspension mounts. One side bushing completely gone, very noisy clonking.

2. Important to do and try not to drive until done:
- replace engine mounts (one apparently cracked or leaking).
- transmission oil leak, not a bad one I think.
- cracked exhaust manifold (don't know how badly cracked or consequences of driving with a cracked manifold)

3. Important to do but still driveable unless something happens:
- complete servicing of 15 year old car:
........ change all fluids and oils: brake, steering, transmission, supercharger, coolant.
........ change all filters: air, transmission, fuel
- cooling and heater hoses replacement.
- suspension overhaul front and rear, replace all bushes, balljoints, etc.
- other mounts besides engine mounts ... if needed.
- steering tie-rod ends replace
- replace water pump - since going in there to do tensioners.
- replace thermostat (apparently they're as useful in UAE as an appendix but I'll go with trying to keep the car intact for now). Replace radiator cap.

Coolant was replaced last year when a leaky bleed hose was replaced. I'd been topping up with water until replacement because I couldn't find orange coolant. Replaced two other bleed hoses at the same time.

Missed two bleed hoses back then so ordered them as part of this years maintenance and renovation.

A/C system had complete overhaul less than 5 years ago. They don't last long in the UAE it seems. Hoping it will last at least another 5 years before it needs doing again.

New brake pads last year. Probably time for new rotors next pad change.

New battery and tires last year also.

Objective is to have car in a fit enough state to go another 50k-100k miles with normal maintenance (apart from unexpected surprises). Or sell it.

Finding and ordering parts internationally turned out to be a much bigger headache than I expected. More on that later ...

Anything I missed which you'd suggest I do as part of general preventative maintenance at this mileage? Other than oil and filter ...

Old 05-15-2015, 10:41 AM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't be surprised if your diff output shaft bearings start to go. The list of my XJR was every bit as long as yours. I have a bit more miles so a few more things have started to wear out: A replacement Diff and supercharger are sitting next to my tool box.