XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Jiffy Lube OK or "No Way!" ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Jiffy Lube OK or "No Way!" ??

Gentlemen:

Would you have issues going to JL for an oil change... radiator flush/fill... trans fluid and filter... or no? Just curious. Are their parts (filters, fluids) inferior to what a Jag needs or is recommended? They're literally around the corner.

Thank you,

SirJag

Old 03-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used them for oil changes but that's about it. They keep trying to tell me that I need more (radiator flush/fill... trans fluid and filter) based on my mileage. I keep telling them it's kilometers not miles as it is a Canadian jag.

The following users liked this post:
SirJag (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

One problem with quick oil change places (and not just Jiffy Lube) is that they don't exactly hire PhDs in mechanical engineering to service your car. Very occasionally they will overfill or underfill the crankcase, or forget to put the oil pan plug back in. So there are cases of cars being ruined, and of the oil change company denying responsibility.

So I take my daily driver to a quick oil place, but not my Jaguar.

The following users liked this post:
SirJag (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

And you also have to be sure to tell them up front NOT to take your air cleaner or cabin air filter or whatever apart, if you don't want them to.

The following 2 users liked this post by Boomer from Boston:
Alvin Burns (03-14-2011), SirJag (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Jiffy Lube is way better than delaying an oil change. But I agree, it is good advice to tell them to keep their mitts off the rest of the car.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I say no but not because I think my car is too good for such a place. I had to sue an Oil Can Henry's because they cracked the tranny case in my Wife's Honda. You read that right. The car was there for a simple oil change and they busted the tranny. I won my lawsuit but it was a huge hassle. From then on only my trusted mechanic or someone he may vouch for touches my cars. I don't car if it is a Yugo or a Rolls Royce. Stick with people you know and trust.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Some of our cars go to the quick lube - The Jaguars don't because I get them done with my winter/sumer tire changeover.

I'm not sure if they would have the filter -- definitely not the plug. But I bring the parts to my local guy anyway. But ..... nothing special about an oil change on a Jaguar .......... except the fill amount.

With all the problems with incompatible fluids in the past I would never have them do the trans or the coolant --- but that goes for any car. I agree - have them leave the air filter box alone.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I change my own oil. NQA.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would be surprised at how many claims they (the quick oil change industry) have with regard to not replacing the oil filler cap, not tightening the drain plug, over tightening the drain plug, cross threading the drain plug, putting in the wrong drain plug, putting in the wrong air filter, etc. I used to handles these claims, and most of them were paid. If you're not going to do the work, then take it to someone that will stand behind their work (and I don't mean by paying the claim).

It's too easy for them to screw it up. Just MHO.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

I agree with the "better than nothing" viewpoint. I also agree with "oil changes only" and leave the rest alone if the car in question is one you care about.

Brief commentary.....

I won't condemn these fast-lube places as the worst thing in the world, however. First, let's have a show of hands from everyone here who has never made a mistake :-)

Secondly, and I'm speaking speaking broadly here, let's remember that they're filling a consumer demand. Unfortunately, the "demand" these days....last couple decades really...is for "cheaper cheaper cheaper" and "faster faster faster". When things don't work out as well as we expected we should perhaps looks at ourselves when asking "why?"

Cheers
DD

Old 03-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I recently took my S-Type to Jiffy Lube because I am between homes and limited tools and a place to do it. I told them not to open the air filter box because they can never get it back on properly and to just change the oil and filter. How hard could that be? Well let me tell you that they managed to put more oil on my engine than in it. I got in my car and went about a block away and smoke was bellowing out from under the hood. Pullet over and could see all the oil, I turned around and pulled into the bay, now I am on fire (not the car) and he knew it. He told me that he was the manager and he was the one that worked on my car and I said to myself God help us all. I told him I was not pleased in so many words and he washed my engine down, asked me to come below and look at the car because he knew I was upset.

My suggestion to you is that you tell them up front what you expect and accept nothing less.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:08 PM

Fair enough but an oil change is really one of the most fundamental automotive procedures. If those being paid to do so feel underpaid then they should charge more. If I pay for a job I expect it done right. What the oil change joint did to my Wife's car was no opps. Some people make mistakes and some people are incompetent and some people set you up for a problem. If you ever have a $35 oil change turn in to a $2000 bill you would lean my way I bet!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I took my xk8 to tire kingdom for an oil change...they had just installed my tires from tire rack the week before. I told the guy that I wanted the semi synthetic 5w-30 and he said they had it. They would have the filter the following day. The next day I show up and he tells me he oil change I chose also comes with a free tire rotation and inspection yada yada. I tell him tires are different sizes, I don't want the computer diagnostics or the inspection and only to use a torque wrench not air wrench on the lugs. He said he did remember that from when they installed the tires. I see him write everything down in big letters on the invoice and highlight it in yellow. Very obvious.

A LONG time goes by and I see them opening my trunk and then pulling off access covers near the windshield under the hood. I tell the guy to tell them no on the computer stuff and just do the oil change. I see him point to the directions he wrote on the invoice. He returns, apologizes and they return to work. The car goes on the lift, and then after the oil is emptied I am I formed there is no semi synthetic 5w-30 so they will upgrade me free to full synthetic. Then I look out e window and the guy has all four wheels off and if mounting the bigger wheels in the front!!!! I run out on my own and ask this guy what the Hell he is doing! He says he is rotating the tires!!! Te manager is running behind me and yells the back wheels are larger and cant he plainly see that"!?!!?!? Needless to say over 2 hours for oil change and then to top it off they didn't top it off....when I checked oil level before leaving I was quart low. They fixed it and no charge for anything.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by 2002XK8Orlando
They fixed it and no charge for anything.
Even when this happens always leave with paper work. For my disaster the "manager" wouldn't do this because he claimed they provided no service. I made him right it by hand. I'm not kidding. My wife called me at work when this happened and knew they were trying to screw her. She even had a sherrif's deputy come. Things got very ugly. When I got there and saw what was going on I was ready to explode.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
I agree with the "better than nothing" viewpoint. I also agree with "oil changes only" and leave the rest alone if the car in question is one you care about.

Brief commentary.....

I won't condemn these fast-lube places as the worst thing in the world, however. First, let's have a show of hands from everyone here who has never made a mistake :-)

Secondly, and I'm speaking speaking broadly here, let's remember that they're filling a consumer demand. Unfortunately, the "demand" these days....last couple decades really...is for "cheaper cheaper cheaper" and "faster faster faster". When things don't work out as well as we expected we should perhaps looks at ourselves when asking "why?"
Agreed. Been meaning to say something along those lines when it comes to rants about dealerships.

People should look at themselves, what they do for a living, and when was the last time they themselves did not deliver what they should have in their own line of business.

When it comes to JiffyLube in particular, they are usually set up as grease pits so no hoist is involved. And the customer is only a few feet from the pit. Easy enough to watch what is going on and talk to the pit guy directly.

Then, when you pull out, it is easy enough to pop the hood, check the level, ensure the dip stick and filler cap are in place before driving away. Should take all of 3 minutes.

Most of the places also show you the dipstick after they do the fill.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by dba-one
Even when this happens always leave with paper work. For my disaster the "manager" wouldn't do this because he claimed they provided no service. I made him right it by hand. I'm not kidding. My wife called me at work when this happened and knew they were trying to screw her. She even had a sherrif's deputy come. Things got very ugly. When I got there and saw what was going on I was ready to explode.
Sure, but has nothing you have ever done professionally ever make someone else want to explode?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dba-one
I left with a full invoice with a handwritten "no charge" across it

Old 03-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I've been going to WalMart for oil changes on one of my cars due to the oil filter being so hard to take off. And, they had an $18 oil change special for awhile.

If your car is low on oil when you arrive, they're hesitant to change your oil if they didn't do the last oil change. They also keep track of your car on their computer.

WalMart goes as far as to torque the oil filter on the car, and then they paint the oil filter and the oil pan plug and pan with blue threadlocker--so they tell if the oil pan or filter's ever been touched. This appears to be a defensive move against litigation.

If you purchase tires online and take'em to WalMart for installation, they now give you grief if you have stem mounted air pressure sensors. Independent shops don't bat an eye, as so many cars now have the sensors--and they're used to demounting tires with sensors.

Otherwise, I do my own service. Sometimes, laying under the car waiting for all the oil to drain is the only peace I get that whole week.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When an accident occurs, it should be that. An accident. A simple mistake. An apology is offered and perhaps the decision is made to not charge the customer.

Unfortunately, there are too many people in the service industry that are poorly trained, indifferent, inconsiderate, or simply don't care.

We all make mistakes. However, if attention is paid to the details, then the risk of error is greatly reduced. I'm old shool. If I don't know, I ask. If I screw up, then I say I'm sorry, then I ask how I can fix it. Pretty simple stuff. No ?

Too many people in the service industry choose to ignore the details. And they are in the majority.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

"Sometimes, laying under the car waiting for all the oil to drain is the only peace I get "

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Jiffy Lube OK or "No Way!" ??