XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

JITIS - driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 03:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JITIS - driving me crazy

Hi,
XJ8 2001. I bought a CD, additionally I downloaded the rar (still that CRC-failure on CD2 when unpacking, I got to check again if that could be my fault), installed CD1 again (both seem to be idendical).

Still found only fractions of information on global search. Reading here now for hours I found, - surprise, surprise - that I had to select 98 to get more infos. Thanks to this scientific research I now know from the 98s in written, where to unscrew the cap for the coolant.
After this additional fraction of information I daringly tried 95 and others, but still have no idea about the type of only "orange" coolant "only" to be used, like the sticker tells me to.

I am left speechless. Do I have the wrong CDs? As one install looks like the other it seems not. Or is this Jaguars revenge for keeping their cars on the road?

Question: has anyone a hint or link how to dig out this carfully hidden infos?

Old 08-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,624 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
You can use Prestone Dex-Cool 50/50 Coolant (it is a orange fluid) for your 2001 XJ8.
I had my 100,000 mile maintenance done by indy Jaguar mechanic about 4 months ago that included coolant flush and coolant refill.

Here is a thread on this forum (see post# 3):
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...sh-fill-52842/

Here is JTIS21 download information and its use instructions include in this thread (see post# 5):
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...j8-info-58846/

There have been no reported problems with the new JTIS21 download (all responses have shown sucessful downloads and many of the forum members are using it).

Here is some coolant information from the JTIS21 - First you need to open Model - XJ Range and the Model Year 1998 then use the Text Navigator to go to section 303-03A: Engine Cooling - General Procedures - Cooling System Draining, Filling, and Bleeding Vehicles without Supercharger (open with mouse click, then go down to fill instructions):

"Refill the cooling system with a 50% solution of water and Jaguar Antifreeze / Corrosion Inhibitor ESD-M97B49-A. Fill the cooling system at the header tank until the level stabilises at the top of the breather neck.Allow at least 2 minutes for air to purge from the system.Top up the header tank as required and fit the pressure cap."

Hope this helps

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 08-13-2011 at 05:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tums (08-13-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Received 8,214 Likes on 4,954 Posts

Here is some coolant info

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
100-16 XL coolant.pdf (82.4 KB, 285 views)
The following users liked this post:
tums (08-13-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Hi motorcarman
What is your opinion of the Preston Dex-Cool 50/50 Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant?

Here is coolant information in the 2000 Jaguar XJ series Vehicle Handbook:

"Use only anti-freeze to specification WSS M97B44-D, coloured orange,
Extended Life Coolant. Inferior quality anti-freeze may be ineffective in
maintaining adequate frost and corrosion protection to the cooling system.

The coolant solution may remain in the cooling system for five years or,
150 000 miles (240 000 kilometres) after which the cooling system should be drained, flushed and refilled."

The back label specifications on the Preston 1 gallon Jug that I have before me says:

"Meets GM 6277M, Ford WSS-M97844-D, and property and performance specification requirements of Daimler Chrysler MS-7170,MS-9769."

Our Indy Jaguar mechanic recommended it and I bought it at Advance Auto Parts.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 08-13-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:44 AM

Thanks for the information, now the problem at hand is solved. I had a few low level warnings:

First I could not unscrew the cap (screw? bajonet? - sequenze in opening being: tight - force - replacement, aside this being plastic I still havent opened it yet ) - then I cant find anything in the JITIS, after finding all kind of threads I eventually learn to check on other years ....thanks especially to Jim for lots of infos.

I found JITIS on PDF, and decided to pay for that. I havent checked that extensivly, but for my purpose going through leaves like a book seems much more effective and by far quicker anyway than wondering where the heck they could have hidden that piece of info I am looking for on that CD, not knowing if that is a failure of CD, programm, missing info wrong searchwords or just being dumb. My time wasted in this funny operation of JITIS seems to me worth the money, especially as the search-function did work well on Adobe and the pics are good (far better as on the Windys CD). Nevertheless - as it seems based on JITIS I got no other news from that, so thanks for the infos here.

I still have a gallon or so from an overhaul of my Windstar, but that is green (or was it blue?) - I wonder why that should not be ok, the Windys engine being iron and aluminium. In general I would not have second thoughts to use it, but on a Jaguar - it would be silly to spoil the engine for some unknown reason.

Could it be they keep silent about the chemicals, color them different and sell that as a special brand? That would not be a new idea, after all.

Thanks bob, that looks like different chemicals, thanks Jim, these specs may give a hint. I will have to flush the system eventually.

Last edited by tums; 08-13-2011 at 03:53 AM. Reason: additional
Old 08-13-2011, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member

Hi tums
The plastic cap probably has been overtighten. Our seems to be tight also. I opened it by turning the cap counter-clockwise. It was hard to get it to start to turn, but I was able with enough force to loosen it.

You might try using a strap wrench.
Here is a weblink to sears.com showing the strap wrench:
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Looks like it is only stuck and the strap wrench should help you to open the cap without damaging it.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 08-14-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:57 AM

what has a lawnmower in common with a Jaguar?

A plastic cap on the tank. Once the threads are worn out you have to replace the whole system for a 50 cent item ...

Thanks Jim, knowing exactly what I am doing I could use a little power and add a cup of water to kill that occasinal warning till flushing the system - later that year.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Received 8,214 Likes on 4,954 Posts

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Hi motorcarman
What is your opinion of the Preston Dex-Cool 50/50 Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant?

Here is coolant information in the 2000 Jaguar XJ series Vehicle Handbook:

"Use only anti-freeze to specification WSS M97B44-D, coloured orange,
Extended Life Coolant. Inferior quality anti-freeze may be ineffective in
maintaining adequate frost and corrosion protection to the cooling system.

The coolant solution may remain in the cooling system for five years or,
150 000 miles (240 000 kilometres) after which the cooling system should be drained, flushed and refilled."

The back label specifications on the Preston 1 gallon Jug that I have before me says:

"Meets GM 6277M, Ford WSS-M97844-D, and property and performance specification requirements of Daimler Chrysler MS-7170,MS-9769."

Our Indy Jaguar mechanic recommended it and I bought it at Advance Auto Parts.

Jim Lombardi

Jim

I worked at the dealer for many years and I acquired dozens of 5 liter containers of yellow and orange coolant. When we first got the orange in 1999 we were given 10 liters (2 containers) of coolant. I told the parts guy that I needed one but he said that Jaguars need 10 liters to fill the cooling system. I said I know but it is mixed 50/50 with water. He said just take them and GO. So I had hundreds of leftover containers of coolant that I took home and stored.

Then we started getting one and I asked what was up with that. He said that Jaguar Warranty called and wanted to know why we were billing out two 5 liter containers of coolant per vehicle. He told them the same thing, that it took 10 liters and they told him the same thing I did, it gets mixed 50/50 with water.

I don't know if the dealer was billed for the coolant overcharge but I still have DOZENS of containers of coolant!!!!!!!!!

I only use the factory coolant because I have so much of it and I never had to look for an alternative.

bob gauff