XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

JTIS 21 CD on Ebay for $1.99 plus $4 shipping

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts
Default JTIS 21 CD on Ebay for $1.99 plus $4 shipping

Hi
I purchased this same JTIS 21 from this same Ebay seller last October for the same price (a total of $5.99 including shipping).
The install took all of 5 minutes on my Windows XP Home Edition operating system.
Here is the link to the Ebay listing:
Jaguar XJ8 XJ6 XK8 JTIS TIS Service CD Manual to 2004.5 | eBay

The Ebay Seller is alliedtraining2. My experience with this seller was prompt shipping, excellent CD but they do not reply to any emails (at least that was my experience).

When I purchased the CD from them, I thought I was missing Engine componets information. Most of the Engine components were not listed when I did the Service selection for XJ model and 2001 year.

I just found out here on the forum recently that the Engine components are listed in the Service selection for XJ model and 1998 year. Since the components (heads, crankshaft,etc) still are the same for 2001 as they were for 1998, they are not repeated elsewhere on the CD.

I think that for under $6 this is a great bargain.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 04-07-2011 at 09:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimlombardi:
billm (04-07-2011), plums (04-07-2011)
Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Could be that they're trying to dump them as the JTIS does not work on the latest version of Windows (Windows 7, 64 bit) unless it is the professional or ultimate version.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Mikey
Having the CD for this low cost makes sense. You will not have to download the huge compressed file on the Medafire internet site and go through the hassel of extracting (maybe getting damage files in the file download), also you need to burn a CD. All of this takes a lot of your time. By the way, I am not associated with this Ebay seller. I am trying to be helpful to the members of this forum.

It is a professional copy of the JTIS CD.
Look at the label on the CD. I scanned the CD and created this JPEG file.

JTIS 21 CD on Ebay for alt=.99 plus  shipping-jtis-21-cd-image.jpg

I also have the earlier version of JTIS that I used for the last 5 years before I bought this CD.

This is a really good deal. I know because I do a lot of internet searches for Jaguar parts deals.

See my other posts about this JTIS CD, How to do installs for Vista 32 bit and for Windows 7:

go to post #7 in this link:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...is-idea-52646/

look at post#19 and review the other posts in this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...xj8-vdp-36576/

Look at the posts in this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...s-vista-52632/

Here a DIY I created on how to install and use the JTIS:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...how-use-52643/

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 04-07-2011 at 11:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tums (08-12-2011)
Old 04-07-2011, 11:54 AM

I appreciate all that Jim- but no version of the JTIS will run on the version of Windows I mentioned above irrespective of anything else.

I'm not going to fork over another $75 to Bill Gates in upgrades just to be able to open this one application. He's had enough of my money anyway.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Default There are no other costs - You need to read the threads I have listed

Hi Mike
You have not taken the time to review the threads I listed. Many members of the forum have installed the JTIS on Vista and Windows 7 without incurring any other costs. You just have to know how to do it.

I do not know your level of PC experience. I do know that I am a certified Novell engineer with more than 8 years experience on Citicorp Eastern Division Helpdesk dealing with over 200 PCs in that location and doing the function of Novell network administration (installs, troubleshooting, etc).

I am not trying to brag, I think you are poo-pooing a good deal and that any install problems can be documented and resolved without any additional costs associated with them.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 04-07-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:48 PM

I read all your links. Please point me to a thread that specifically allows me to install and run JTIS on a computer with Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium edition. That's what's installed on most computers being sold to consumers these days.

Thanks.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Default 64 bit windows 7 with windows xp mode loaded

Hi Mike
I emailed one of the forum members (Fred Haffermann) who was able to the install JTIS 32 bit software on his Windows 7 64 bit PC. I learned in his email reply that he had to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional and install JTIS in "XP" mode, then use Windows Virtual PC to view it in XP mode. he has a 64 bit system, but he believes the XP mode is 32 bit.

I also found another website with instructions on how to get a free download of the 3rd party Windows Virutal PC type of software that will let you install JTIS in "XP" on a 64 bit system with Windows 7 Home Basic or Windows 7 Home Premium.

It did not look like its easy, at least at first glance.

I would not recommend buying this JTIS CD to any members with 64 bit PC until more research is done.

This Windows Virutal PC and the XP mode installs maybe beyond most PC users who do not have enough PC tech experience.

But I do recomment buying this JTIS CD to any members with 32 bit PC.
Most of the members with these PC should be able to install it even if they need a little technical help from the other members of the forum.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 04-08-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Yes, at $6 it *is* a bargain.

The usual difficulty in post Windows XP installations is that DAO is an additional install. If any of the MS Office products are installed with the legacy data access options, then DAO will get onto the system.

The usual difficulty in 64 bit Windows systems is knowing about and understanding compatibility mode and its finer points, especially in regard to post-install launching.

Many pieces of software are stipulated by the vendor to be certified only under version "X". This is not necessarily a software limitation, but a support consideration.

The JTIS system uses no new technology post XP. Therefore, it can be coerced into behaving on most systems *if* the user knows how to do it.

I would not recommend buying this JTIS CD to any members with 64 bit PC
It runs on 64 bit without using virtual machines, etc. However, YMMV according to local conditions.

Last edited by plums; 04-07-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

Hi plumsauce
The question also is there anyone we know that has the hands-on knowledge to coerced JTIS into behaving on these various 64 bit PCs.

I had to lookup your internet slang YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) meaning your results may vary.

I will continue to pursue solutions to the JTIS install problems.

Jim Lombardi

Old 04-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Hi plumsauce
The question also is there anyone we know that has the hands-on knowledge to coerced JTIS into behaving on these various 64 bit PCs.
The problem is that even if it were fully documented there will be people who roar ahead, figure they can skip a step, and then blame the author of said instructions. However, rest assured that it can and has been done.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by jimlombardi

I would not recommend buying this JTIS CD to any members with 64 bit PC until more research is done.
Glad you figured out what I was talking about and why I suggested that the seller is dumping the JTIS CDs as more people shift to 64 bit systems.

Mike

Old 04-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Default If you prefer the word dump or sell - still a great deal

Hi
I do not think it makes any difference to the members of this forum if this Ebay seller is just listing the CD at a very low price (a great deal for those of us with 32 bit PCs) or is just trying to dump whatever number of these CD they have.

I don't know why you are so opposed to other members getting and using this JTIS CD.

I have 2 of these JTIS CD. Most recent purchase in last October and the older one 5 years ago.

If anyone looks at my posting replies history, they will notice that most of them have at least 1 jpeg or pdf file extraction from the JTIS CD describing and illustrating the steps to be performed for a particular repair.

I even printout the repair steps when I bring our Jaguar to our mechanic who does the repair. He just smiles, but I make sure he reads it and understands it before he starts working on our car.

Jim Lombardi

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 04-08-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

The seller probably could care less whether one particular user can run it on their particular computer or not.

The JTIS system is in fact a very simple program with minimal system dependencies.

The fact that it did not successfully install on a single particular installation of a one particular user using 64 bit windows does not form any kind of trend and should not be relied upon as a complete truth.

This is especially true given that it is known to run on 64 bit for other users.

Therefore, a claim that it does not run on 64 bit cannot by definition be true. Other users of 64 bit windows, have and will run it successfully despite claims to the contrary.

For $6.00 it should not be a show stopper.

Put it this way, it's less than the cost of a sparkplug, quart of oil, or air filter.

++

jimlombardi (04-08-2011)
Old 04-08-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by plumsauce
This is especially true given that it is known to run on 64 bit for other users.

Therefore, a claim that it does not run on 64 bit cannot by definition be true. Other users of 64 bit windows, have and will run it successfully despite claims to the contrary.
Jeeze guys what's with the comments? I just suggested a possible reason why the seller has dropped his price, not what your mother did during the war..........

Look-- there's plenty of posts from people who can't get JTIS to run on a 64 bit system without the upgrade to the higher priced W7 versions- not just me. So- If you've got a way to make it run- let's hear it.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Jeeze guys what's with the comments? I just suggested a possible reason why the seller has dropped his price, not what your mother did during the war..........
What do mothers have anything to do with this?

The problem is not a report by you that it does not work on your system. That is a valid observation. The problem is the strident insistence that nobody else running 64 bit buy it because of your single observation point. That is not helpful for those who are more adept at installing software.

A more likely reason for the price is that, as dutifully and forcefully pointed out in another thread, JTIS is no longer the anointed means of conveying repair information by Jaguar. However, it remains a great resource for those who realise that the vehicle did not somehow magically change just because the information delivery channel changed.

Look-- there's plenty of posts from people who can't get JTIS to run on a 64 bit system without the upgrade to the higher priced W7 versions- not just me. So- If you've got a way to make it run- let's hear it.
There are also many people who use computers in the vanilla settings as delivered by the vendor and do not venture much past internet explorer. There is a huge range of levels of expertise. Not everyone is able to coerce a difficult or risky install. That is the reason that AT&T supported only XP 32bit for a particular firmware upgrade on their phones. It was not that it could not be done with other versions, including 64 bit. It was because the potential for error was too great. In that scenario, there were many howls of outrage from users who failed, usually by failing to read instructions, while others merrily upgraded the firmware using whatever version of windows was at hand, including 64 bit.

As anyone in tech support will tell you, "it doesn't work" is not a useful problem description. The typical response is to query for further details.

The usual suspects in failing to install or run a particular application on Windows post XP, 32bit *or* 64bit is user permissions at install time or run time. In addition, for 32bit applications on 64bit Windows, the WOW64 subsystem must be invoked properly. For OS version differences, look to compatibility mode settings. It might be a fight, and some give up. But, for others, it is a professional requirement that they win the fight.

Again, the single system dependency is DAO(data access objects). DAO is often on the system if MS Office has already been installed.

You also note that JTIS will run *if* you upgrade to a different level of Windows 7.

So, it is up to you what value you put on having JTIS available.

You can also multi-boot into XP. There are many multi-booters available for free.

As far as Bill Gates is concerned, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is a wonderful concept. Part of the money flowing to Microsoft flows to the foundation. The cost of Windows licences charged to businesses is like a wealth distribution tax because of the foundation. And that is an excellent result.

If you cannot stomach paying for the upgrade, then try your luck with Linux + the Wine emulator.

++

jimlombardi (04-08-2011)
Old 04-08-2011, 06:15 PM

So- I'll take that as no, you don't have way of making it run without the W7 upgrade.

Thanks.

BTW- I have a few old 32 bit machines. JTIS is installed on those and it runs just fine. Always has with no fuss, no muss.

Come to think of it- it's Friday. Please take the day off tomorrow and maybe have a drink or two tonight. Sounds like one of both of you are wound up pretty tight.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Plumsauce
You certainly sound like experienced computer tech. Are you now in and were you in any IT Helpdesk postitions for a number of years? Well anyways it is good to hear from you. Thank you for your support. I really appreciate it. I spend 8 years as a consultant to Citicorp working 12 hrs per day most of the time I was there. I had to retire early because I was burned out. Now I get burned out keeping after all the house repair work on a house that is only 9 years old. My wide says I spend too much time on the internet. I say I still have a lot of questions that need answers and the internet does provide a lot of them. The questions cover a lot of stuff.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 04-08-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Upgrading to Vista or Win 7 is the worst possible investment anyone on earth could have made.

Wait until a real OS comes out (win 8) that does not have the Gov. kernal.

Then install jtis or use it on an XP machine.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The link in post one is sold out.

try this for 5.75, same item.

JTIS Jaguar XJ6 XJ8 XJ12 XK XKR S X Type 1995-2004.5 | eBay

jimlombardi (04-09-2011)
Old 04-09-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by ant17
The link in post one is sold out.

try this for 5.75, same item.

JTIS Jaguar XJ6 XJ8 XJ12 XK XKR S X Type 1995-2004.5 | eBay
Interesting.

From the eBay link:

Caution:

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS ITEM MIGHT NOT OPERATE ON COMPUTERS UTILIZING WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM OR VISTA 64 BIT. WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM MAY REQUIRE AN UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL OR ULTIMATE IN ORDER TO UTILIZE THIS PROGRAM!

This item operates on Windows XP, Vista (32 bit only) and Windows 7 (Professional and Ultimate editions only). This item will not work on a MAC or LINUX unless windows emulation is used.

Quick Reply: JTIS 21 CD on Ebay for $1.99 plus $4 shipping