XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

JTIS Accuracy re: Headliner Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JTIS Accuracy re: Headliner Replacement

I have a copy of the above mentioned software and my question is this. What is he accuracy of that software? The reason I ask is according to JTIS the proper way to install a new headliner is to remove both windscreens. I did that as directed. I had a professional glassman come out and remove the glass and trim. He warned of the possibility of the glass breaking because of the installation and the way Jaguar does it. I took that to mean he wasn't as skilled as Jaguar installers, and my suspicions were correct as he broke the windshield. I have a local guy who I buy a lot of parts from and he scratched his head when I mentioned I had both windscreens removed as he has several people that do that same job without removing the glass. I guess I am feeling foolish as with the cost of the removal and purchase and reinstallation of glass I am in over $1200.00. I did not get an estimate from Jaguar as to their cost but my repair doing it myself without the glass cost was less than $500.00 Including the 2 jags I bought as parts donors. My install was perfect and it looks that way, and I have JTIS to thank for that. I guess I am just venting a bit and I will post the pictures of the repair when I get the car finished. I am thinking I probably should have asked prior to doing it myself? I guess that's why Jr. Member? LOL anyways enjoy the chuckle you old school guys!

Old 12-24-2020, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,328 Posts

I fail to understand why to remove both screens myself...its a one piece deal. I have a VDP and took advantage of the 4" longer rear doors to get mine out. I have to question "what Jaguar does differently installing a wind screen"? I think my upholsterer would of done yours at about half that cost and I wouldn't have had to of lifted a finger. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of having mine redone with pleather...if it will stay up with such a large surface?

I think you need a little Cristo Redentor, ...feel free to prompt it in my sig.

Last edited by Highhorse; 12-24-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:26 PM
Default JTIS Accuracy

I guess that is part of my question. I believe that JTIS is a guideline on repairs not the Bible nor the only way to do a repair? I was venting a bit as well as questioning costs. I did not get a quote from Jaguar about this particular repair and am inclined to do so now. I am curious to see if the way it was done in JTIS is the way they do it. I don't know how it would be done other than the way described in JTIS. That is why I am not a tech. I lack those skills. My skill set in the automotive industry is sales of repair. Thanks for your response.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,023 Likes on 741 Posts

Methodology has changed through the years as has product technology/headliners' are more pliable now. My SWB was done via doors about 2 years ago, they had no issues @ a local audio shop performing the work.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:28 PM
Default JTIS Accuracy

Thank you King Charles

Old 12-24-2020, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,012 Likes on 613 Posts

Several good vids on YouTube regarding headliner replacement, none of mention windshield/windscreen removal.

Seems the favorite method is to recline the seats and remove/replace the headliner via the driver's-side rear door.

Here's a UK version without a sunroof.............

And a sunroof version from our friend Robert..............

And a step-by-step from WLS Headliners..................
https://wlsheadliners.com/1998-jagua...ion-guide.html

It seems like a real PITA, I think if I had to have it done I would let a trusted upholstery shop do it.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 06:41 PM
Default JTIS Accuracy

My actual estimate from upholstery shop was $600.00 so that's why I decided to go the way I did. Hind sight 20/20.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,023 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by aamcobrian
My actual estimate from upholstery shop was $600.00 so that's why I decided to go the way I did. Hind sight 20/20.
I paid $250 for mine, check your local car audio shops etc.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:47 PM
Received 8,246 Likes on 4,973 Posts

Jaguar often issues a procedure and then revises the procedure when the mechanics find shortcuts or alternate methods that save time and/or saves parts. They often revise the warranty labor time as well. Everytime we figured out a way to do a job in a more expedient way, Jaguar would issue a TSB or a revision to the labor time.(never in the mechanics favor)

When I worked at the dealer I NEVER replaced a front or rear windscreen. (EVER) Nobody in the shop was stupid enough to take on a job like that.

We called glass companies because they had experience and when/if the glass broke during the process, they had a replacement on the truck or if the car was in factory warranty, the parts dept had OEM.

No glass company will guaranty against breakage re-using the windscreen glass.

The headliner will fit out the doors but the backing will need to be slightly 'folded' for both 'in & out'.

No big deal as the creases and wrinkles soon fade after installation.

The following 5 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Don B (12-24-2020), EssOess (01-15-2021), Highhorse (12-26-2020), MountainMan (09-26-2022), XJRay (12-30-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 855 Posts

you need to be careful with the biscuit pretty much. on new cars you can bend them a lot but the 308 requires some finesse especially if you have a SWB. the new headliners from the UK are made of the flexy bendy stuff

The following 3 users liked this post by xalty:
Don B (12-25-2020), Highhorse (12-26-2020), motorcarman (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 705 Posts

I had a local shop do mine a few years ago for I think it was around $225. I didn't watch them do it, but I'm sure they didn't mess with the glass. I had the same shop do a Honda last year for $200 but it had no sunroof. I'm sure they just fold them enough to go in and out a door. But its clear to me that the engineers who designed them DID NOT consult with any mechanics at all about how to repair them afterward. And the people who wrote the repair manuals, well they had to have manuals out as soon as the first warranty job came in, so they were simply going off the engineer's drawings (and probably shaking their heads in disbelief). Not long ago I did rear shocks which would have had me dropping the rear subframe, but a video posted on here showed it being done in 20 minutes a side. I'm a little slower but managed both sides in about 3 hours using the same shortcut. My cousin is a professional Honda technician and he told me that they get paid for the "book time" and if they can figure out a quicker way of doing things, they make more money since they can move on to the next job sooner. But for me, I really appreciate forums like these. Otherwise, I'd just have only boring, reliable cars.

Coventrywood (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 08:05 PM
Received 13,301 Likes on 6,578 Posts

I am attaching the Jaguar instructions for removing the XJ40 headliner via the front passenger door with the interior door trim and center console removed. The X300 and X308 monocoques are essentially identical to the XJ40 and can be done the same way. However...

I did my first XJ40 by the method in the instructions, but on all the rest of the Jaguar XJs and S-Types I've done, I've found it easier to remove the headliner board via the rear passenger door, folding the board into a gentle "taco" curve to fit through the door. On many Jag saloons, it can be removed just by moving the front seats all the way forward and laying their backs all the way down. On some cars the front passenger seat needs to be removed (4 to 6 screws and a few electrical connectors). This is still much less work than removing the center console and driver's door interior trim.

If the board is torn or otherwise damaged during removal, it can be easily repaired with fiberglass cloth and resin. As Bob mentioned, minor creases won't even show once the board is reinstalled and the fabric settles down.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 12-25-2020 at 08:29 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (01-16-2021), EssOess (01-15-2021), Highhorse (12-26-2020), MountainMan (12-28-2020), nilanium (12-27-2020), XJRay (12-30-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-03-2021, 12:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This whole conversation is extremely informative as my headliner is sagging in the rear and doing so in front above the doors. I've been contemplating doing the replacement myself, but referring to the JTIS, I've been dissuaded from doing so.
I did the sunroof panel after having repaired a loose track runner and that went well using spray-on 3M adhesive.
My local upholsterer quoted me $700 for the job, but that was years ago in southern California and I've since moved out of state and haven't gotten any quotes, since.
Bottom line, it's good to know that a technique exists to get the headliner out without removing the front or rear glass.
Thank you for initiating this thread!

Old 01-07-2021, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 496 Likes on 377 Posts

In a similar thread someone posted a company which sold replacement headliners for the x308 in some kind of flexible material... ships to your door basically rolled up, easy enough to bend when installing. May be worth looking into that

Old 09-13-2022, 07:25 PM
Received 161 Likes on 120 Posts

While researching the best way to refresh the headliner on my wife's XJR I was pleased to find the procedure cited above for removing the panel on an XJ40. I'm refreshing this old thread to let folks know it doesn't work on an X308. After stripping the passenger door trim, removing the center console and unbolting the shift mechanism there is still insufficient clearance (by a good 4") to maneuver the panel out the passenger door without bending. The problem is the dash frame that extends down to the trans tunnel (bottom left of the glove box). Since I had come this far and wasn't about to remove the dash I tried to remove the panel by gently bending it. After repairing the creases this created I now have a freshly reupholstered headliner but am uncertain how best to install it without bending. I have no problem removing the rear glass if necessary but I'd like to avoid this since there's always the possibility of breakage. I've seen headliners that have been recovered and installed by bending and it shows, so I'm not convinced when folks say any creases will disappear after things relax. This is a nearly flawless low mileage car so I want to get it right. Any suggestions from folks who have done this successfully will be appreciated. Also passing along the best contact cement I've found - requires a spray gun and it's unforgiving/will not release once contact is made.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:46 PM
Received 13,301 Likes on 6,578 Posts

Hi Doug,

As I mentioned in post #12, I have had success removing and reinstalling the headliners through the right rear door by bending the board into a gentle taco curve. I did my first one through the front passenger door and didn't like how severely the board had to be bent. Using the rear passenger door gives you just a little extra room for a more relaxed bend.

Even if you remove the backlight glass, the board will probably have to be bent somewhat.

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
MountainMan (09-26-2022), XJRay (09-15-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,368 Likes on 1,076 Posts

+1 on the right rear door, I think I removed a front seat. The crease does go eventually, I installed mine with it bent right down the centre lengthways and got one side in on the little tabs the cards rest on.
Horrid things to work on, I did mine without gloves, glass fibres and itchy fingers…wear gloves!
Spray contact adhesive works well also, particularly if both surfaces are sprayed then left to tack off.

Old 09-14-2022, 04:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 365 Posts

Headliners always seem to be difficult. Sometimes so much so, you wonder how they were installed
initially. I had a Buick redone "professionally" that I was never quite satisfied with. Now, years later
some of the edges show as the material has shrunk.

Old 09-14-2022, 09:24 AM
Received 161 Likes on 120 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I measured the rear door opening and attempted to bend the panel into that "gentle taco curve" (with just slight bending you could hear the reinforcing fibers begin to break) - definitely no way that will happen without creasing. Called a few glass places before finding someone willing to remove/install the rear windshield - I thought $250 was very reasonable until I was advised any breakage would be my problem. I've removed a rear screen on this model in the past to obtain a headliner panel for my Mark 2 project - that went without incident so I think I'll go ahead and attempt it myself. Wish me luck - will let you know how it goes.

Don B (09-14-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,710 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Doug,

As I mentioned in post #12, I have had success removing and reinstalling the headliners through the right rear door by bending the board into a gentle taco curve. I did my first one through the front passenger door and didn't like how severely the board had to be bent. Using the rear passenger door gives you just a little extra room for a more relaxed bend.

Even if you remove the backlight glass, the board will probably have to be bent somewhat.

Cheers,

Don
Was that through a swb or lwb rear door?

Quick Reply: JTIS Accuracy re: Headliner Replacement