XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

JTIS Revelation: Does your XJ do these things?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 01:24 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default JTIS Revelation: Does your XJ do these things?

Hello Gentlemen:

Just reading some info from the JTIS (under 2001) and saw these 2 things:

1) The door mirrors also automatically darken under control of the electrochromic interior rear view mirror.

2) Door mirror fold-back where fitted, to facilitate parking in confined spaces, can be initiated when the ignition switch is in position I or II, the mirror selector switch is in the central position and vehicle speed is below 19 km/h (12 mph). Mirror fold-back is then initiated by moving the toggle switch rearwards and releasing it. The door mirrors are returned to the normal driving position by again moving toggle switch rearwards. There is no speed constraint on this operation. In the event of a fold-back mirror becoming ´out of position´ due to accidental impact, it must only be re-positioned by initiating the fold-back sequence.

Is anyone here familiar with these things? I've never noticed about #1... and #2, I have not a clue. It does say, "where fitted," but for the VDP, only the Nav was optional. Just how many "secret" functions does this car have? I'm discovering more things every day. How fun.

Anyone? Thanks!

SirJag

Last edited by SirJag; 04-07-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:40 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Can't answer your question. However, it is not uncommon for manufacturers to do that. My Range Rover has certain features that are disabled by the computer, but can be enabled. Its not a fully loaded rover. You can enable things like auto up and down rear windows instead of just auto down. Or the window roll up and down feature which can be activated by the remote instead of having to use the door lock. I believe you can even put the rover in "police interceptor" mode. Don't know what it does differently...

Keep diggin around, I'm sure you'll find plenty of extra goodies .

Last edited by JagScott; 04-07-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi SirJag
I looked into the power fold-back mirrors a month ago. I even tried to buy a pair from a Breaker (auto parts recyler) in the UK. I never even got a reply after I put the mirrors in the cart on their website probably because the cost of shipping was going to very expensive.
From what I understand these power fold-back mirrors were never fitted on the Jaguars shipped to the US.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 04-07-2011 at 04:17 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:31 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I believe the Power Folders had an issue with being broken off in car automatic car washes.

I owned a car wash back in the late 1990's and remember seeing blurbs about this issue in the industry periodicals. They suggested that running a Jag of any type into an automatic tunnel wash was a sure way to end up with a bill for broken off mirrors. Many operators went so far as to post that they would not wash a Jaguar.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by SirJag
Hello Gentlemen:

Just reading some info from the JTIS (under 2001) and saw these 2 things:

1) The door mirrors also automatically darken under control of the electrochromic interior rear view mirror.

2) Door mirror fold-back where fitted, to facilitate parking in confined spaces, can be initiated when the ignition switch is in position I or II, the mirror selector switch is in the central position and vehicle speed is below 19 km/h (12 mph). Mirror fold-back is then initiated by moving the toggle switch rearwards and releasing it. The door mirrors are returned to the normal driving position by again moving toggle switch rearwards. There is no speed constraint on this operation. In the event of a fold-back mirror becoming ´out of position´ due to accidental impact, it must only be re-positioned by initiating the fold-back sequence.

Is anyone here familiar with these things? I've never noticed about #1... and #2, I have not a clue. It does say, "where fitted," but for the VDP, only the Nav was optional. Just how many "secret" functions does this car have? I'm discovering more things every day. How fun.

Anyone? Thanks!

SirJag
No power-fold on US specs cars
No side repeater
No headlamps levelling
No heated windshield
No intrusion sensors
No deadlocking
No DRL

Old 04-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To add to the list of things the US spec cars never got: Auto-dimming side mirrors, power rear seat and headlamp washers. Why did the US miss out on so many cool features?

Old 04-08-2011, 01:00 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No deadlocking
You don't want it, trust me! Rovers have this "feature" it gives many owners a headache. Especially when the battery dies after the thing has sat for a couple weeks. They call it "super locking". Basically, YOUR SCREWED! lol. I don't understand the need for it. If someone wants in, all they need to do is break the window.

No heated windshield
This feature however, is very nice.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts
Talking

The auto dimming door mirrors would be nice. I have often wished I had them. At times the powerfold mirrors would be nice too. I have a one car garage and the mirrors are my guide for getting in and out without mishaps.