XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Just about ready to put a hitch on my 03 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 04:52 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Just about ready to put a hitch on my 03 XJR

Need to tow an utility trailer to the dump ever so often, tired of having to borrow the wife's x type to tow when I need to esp now that leaf season is almost here. Plus would prefer to take the XJR camping. Has anybody done it on a XJR. Curt's instructions say "some modifications" might be necessary depending on model. Wiring I'm assuming should be done with a circuit protection module which doesn't use the tail/turns/stops on the car for power just to get the signal. Then a seperate fused wire from the battery handles the juice to the trailer.

I know some of you are cringing but such is life. At least I haven't ordered the roof rack from G.B. yet but while I'm asking anybody have a roof rack on their X308. Just would prefer to put my skis on top rather then inside the car. Would just put a nice Yakima box up there.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I think you bought the wrong car. I'm just saying......

Old 11-05-2010, 10:44 AM
ud

Originally Posted by burmaz
I think you bought the wrong car. I'm just saying......
Why's that because Americans need to buy a huge freaking POS suburban for hauling a couple thousand pounds behind them. Car is rated 1000lbs more than I will use it for. Suprisingly the X type has had over 3000lbs of stone behind it and aside from needing to be careful over a few bumps it did so just fine.

I know in Europe and Australian there are plenty of XJs with hitches. Us dumb Americans just listen to the truck industry too much. If a Jaguar can't tow a 1900lbs camper then it simply isn't a car worth buying. Heck, my TVR could tow close to that if I wanted to build a hitch for it. Granted it wouldn't stop as you're nearly doubling the weight.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:54 AM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

Ouch!! I was about ready to make a joke when I read the title and ask if the hitch was going on the front or the back (LOL).

I too have one of those "American Ferakin' POS" SUVs to haul my "stuff" around, including 2 golden retrievers so my 3 Jags and one BMW can remain "pure". Although I DID try one of the Goldens in the Beemer with the top down....couldn't get him to wear the goggles for all the dog treats in the world.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Don't see why you shouldn't fit one, I had a mate with had one on his Roller to pull his caravan!

As you say, towbars are popular on all sorts of vehicles over here.

This is just one Supplier, not used them myself but I have seen their name come up from time to time. Might give you a few ideas.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Received 111 Likes on 55 Posts

This is what the OEM tow hitch for a XJ8 looks like...

Last edited by DavidN; 02-23-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by steve11
Ouch!! I was about ready to make a joke when I read the title and ask if the hitch was going on the front or the back (LOL).

I too have one of those "American Ferakin' POS" SUVs to haul my "stuff" around, including 2 golden retrievers so my 3 Jags and one BMW can remain "pure". Although I DID try one of the Goldens in the Beemer with the top down....couldn't get him to wear the goggles for all the dog treats in the world.

"Ouch!! I was about ready to make a joke when I read the title and ask if the hitch was going on the front or the back (LOL)." LOLOL!!!

I too have a SUV for hauling stuff like my 6000lb trailer. I use a '03 Ford Expedition. Personally I wouldnt use my Jag to tow b/c the car is too fragile (ie suspension and transmission). I had my car shipped across the country and my front and rear bushings are shot as a result of the car being chained down to the truck!

Some "dumb Americans" tow alot of weight with their SUVs. We didnt know if you were trying to exceed the maximum tow weight of the Jag and pull a trailer like I do with my SUV.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:11 PM
ud

Originally Posted by steve11

Pure? You do know that Jaguar sells/sold a hitch out of their accessory catalog for the 308. Granted I wouldn't spend the $800 I'm sure they wanted for it back in the day.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:18 PM
ud

Originally Posted by burmaz
"Ouch!! I was about ready to make a joke when I read the title and ask if the hitch was going on the front or the back (LOL)." LOLOL!!!

I too have a SUV for hauling stuff like my 6000lb trailer. I use a '03 Ford Expedition. Personally I wouldnt use my Jag to tow b/c the car is too fragile (ie suspension and transmission). I had my car shipped across the country and my front and rear bushings are shot as a result of the car being chained down to the truck!

Some "dumb Americans" tow alot of weight with their SUVs. We didnt know if you were trying to exceed the maximum tow weight of the Jag and pull a trailer like I do with my SUV.
There is nothing fragile about an XJR transmission. In fact it has a better lifespan than that of an Expedition.LOL The XJ8 tranny isn't bad provided it is taken care of against Jags wishes.

As for your suspension, a car should never be chained down like how I think your describing. I'd be talking with your shipping company about that.

Your right about one thing. "some" dumb Americans tow a lot of weight with their SUV, 99% do not but insist they need it to tow their leaves to the dump 2x a year.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 355 Posts

I'm desperate for a Tow Bar for my 2001 XJ8. It must be a Factory type detachable one though, so it doesn't spoil the looks of the XJ8. The good thing about them is the electric plugs are hidden under the bumper and my Parking sensors aren't affected by the tow bar.

I need one because I have a 71 Triumph Herald I'm restoring, and I need to Trailer it to the painters. Also we have a normal Trailer, built out of a Austin Mini sub frame, which I use frequently. When I need to tow though, I have to borrow my Dad's car which is a big pain to arrange.

*** If anyone in the UK is selling a detach tow bar or knows of one Please let me know-Thanks! ***

Old 11-06-2010, 12:22 PM

There's one on eBay UK !
(Actually I took the above posted picture off that auction.)

Good luck!

David

Old 11-07-2010, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DavidN
There's one on eBay UK !
(Actually I took the above posted picture off that auction.)
Hi David- I Can't find it anywhere on Ebay So I'm either searching wrong or have missed it!

If you have the item number or the link to the page please let me know.
Thanks So Much,
Stu. B)

Old 11-07-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
Hi David- I Can't find it anywhere on Ebay So I'm either searching wrong or have missed it!

If you have the item number or the link to the page please let me know.
Thanks So Much,
Stu. B)
Stu,

it indeed must have gone.
Was online a few days back, I can't find it either, sorry!

David

Old 11-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

I mustn't be the only one looking for one in that case!! I'll have to search ebay more often if I'm to stand a chance!! Every time I come close to getting hold of one I always just miss it!! 2 in the last month!!

Normal Flange types come up often, but as I've said it has to be the detachable one for my car.
Ta, Stu.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:40 AM

I'll keep you posted when I stumble upon one the next time...

Old 11-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Matey! Much Appreciated!