XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Just had an accident need help on restoring.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im very much confused, your telling me measure my the distance between my front center hub to the rear center hub on each side and if they are the same distance im in good overview?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

You would have to have a perfect hit into a flat wall to have even distribution through the cars structure -- normally it is concentrated to one side. So this difference can be measured with basic tools if it is great enough. I believe what was suggested is to take a rough measure and see -- if the measurements are off you are sure that the cars structure has deformed.

The only way to understand what has happened is to have the car placed on a straightening platform and measure the body to determine what is bent. But if you can see a difference in the wheels with a tape measure you can be sure that major damage has occurred

Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Bad luck on the car, shoot.

Just a thought. If the chassis members are found to be bent, would it be possible to weld in straight chassis members to your car from a donor? How strict is car inspection in Baltimore?

A lot of work but if you have someone to help you?

Dan

Last edited by Dan R; 02-08-2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 02-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
You would have to have a perfect hit into a flat wall to have even distribution through the cars structure -- normally it is concentrated to one side. So this difference can be measured with basic tools if it is great enough. I believe what was suggested is to take a rough measure and see -- if the measurements are off you are sure that the cars structure has deformed.

The only way to understand what has happened is to have the car placed on a straightening platform and measure the body to determine what is bent. But if you can see a difference in the wheels with a tape measure you can be sure that major damage has occurred
Exactly.

I did say 'rough measurement' but as explained if there is a difference then you have some serious chassis or suspension damage.

Also measuring the gaps between the rear edge of the tire and the edge of the fender/wing will help show if things have been pushed back.

Or, another way, cut a length of wood to just fit between the tires on the apparently undamaged side and then see if it will just fit on the other side.

All very rough, but it will give you an idea if there is something major, before shelling out for a few body panels.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:09 AM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan R
Bad luck on the car, shoot.

Just a thought. If the chassis members are found to be bent, would it be possible to weld in straight chassis members to your car from a donor? How strict is car inspection in Baltimore?

A lot of work but if you have someone to help you?

Dan
Be careful when trying to repair the front chassis members.

I know someone who had a '88 XJ40 XJ6 that was repaired with welded donor font chassis members way back in 1990. The car required alot of work and was a mess in the end. The car had all sorts of issues like small interior leaks when it rained (due to slight body shell deformation) in addition to many major problems. The deformation of the dash due to airbag deployment could cause hidden issues. The handling changed significantly on the XJ6. The car will probably perform poorly if it is in a future accident, making the car potentially dangerous to drive. The suspension may not align properly and scuttle shake could become an issue.

Sorry to sound negative.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:34 PM

Ok as an update the whole bent part which is called the front radiator support I found on ebay. I have to cut off my old bent up section and get the new one welded on. I need 2 side fenders and the airbags all i have in hand. My mechanic told me he can complete a transmission flush to see if the transmission returns to life before getting a new one. the sun roof track is damaged but that doesnt really bother me.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:36 PM

and I measured both sides as told before it came to 91 inches on each side the damage was only to the front framing and was maybe 6inches bent at the most and i have a new part to it so im good.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Why not report it to insurance and let them fix it?

Old 04-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

The scary thing is this car will probably still have a clean title after these repairs when it is sold to an unsuspecting customer.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:54 AM

I did report it to the insurance but I only have liability, so their not fixing it. And its going to be completely restored before being sold if ever sold. And if i sell it, it will be to get the updated model still in black or silver

Old 06-10-2011, 11:59 PM

Alright as an update, ebay was one of my biggest friends in this situation. Ive apid about 700 in parts, and 1200 in labor. I found a new body framing, and got all new fenders, bumpers, headlights, turn signals, air bags, radiator basically everything on the front end is new. Ill submit pictures soon. But if anybody is selling foglights, upper grill and lower grill strip. as long as it fits i dont care what model its from. And if I get my transmission rebuilt are there any benefits to it? or should I just get one off ebay with a 1 year warranty that have like 74k miles on it. for about 1500. But is the installation easy?

Old 06-11-2011, 12:00 AM

oh and the suspension in completely unharmed the only thing out of everything that was damaged was just the front radiator support

Old 06-11-2011, 04:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Up to you on the gearbox, I'd be inclined to get a rebuilt one. And well done in getting this far, sounds like you'll be back on the road soon!

Old 06-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by shoot_da_breeze
oh and the suspension in completely unharmed the only thing out of everything that was damaged was just the front radiator support
Well done, your perseverance has paid off!
What is it about Jags that makes us stand by them?

Old 06-12-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sean B
Up to you on the gearbox, I'd be inclined to get a rebuilt one. And well done in getting this far, sounds like you'll be back on the road soon!
why would you be inclined on the rebuilt one?

Old 06-12-2011, 10:57 AM

i had two options to do with this car and it was part it out which is alot of work, or to fix it slowly over time so it doesnt break the bank. But I decided after finding all the parts needed for it for very cheap. I said why not fix it. Then one of my buddies had hit me up asking to buy the car. and i had told him what happened to it. He said knowing me it'll be in a better condition than it could have been before and once its done he wants it. So that opened my head and said would I rather get $500 for it from the junk man, or $6500 from my friend. then I jus said let me invest this $2000 in repairs and sell it. rather than having a huge useless statue lol on my driveway.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:49 PM

Well guys I'm back.

I've replaced alot on this car. So far its been sitting. But I will be finishing it this week.

I took the car to a professional body shop, they have a frame machine which uses hydraulics to pull the body frame out, and it snaps into the bottom lip of the car so when it pulls it doesnt move the car. It acts as a locking system to have a strong grip. they first pulled the frame out and and then up.

Then removed all the factory spot welds on the drivers side, only place that had damage under all the panels.

I dont know if I mentioned this but I was on ebay and got the whole frame from another car coming from the windshield to the headlights, with engine mounts and all of that. But as I said all the spot welds were removed and the a piece just like the fender was removed and from the new frame the took the same piece and welded it back it. there was no other damage.

The bumper shocks took in most of the pain and saved the frame.

Well Ive re ran all the cars harness, that had to be removed for welding and bending.

Ive gotten a new radiator, headlights, bumper, fenders, hood, ac condensor, and seat belts.

I figured the problem of gear box failure. I walked into Aamco one day and my high school teacher was there, turns out hes the owner. So I told him the problems. The transmission went dry from the cracked radiator thats why it failed on me, and drained onto my drainway. I just need to refill it. Im going to flush it as well.

I will be posting pics soon. Total parts costed me 800. Labor is 600. Cause Im doing all the reinstallition of parts.

My question is what kind of transmission fluid is needed for my 1999 XJ8, how do I flush/ change. And any brand recommend?

Is this a dealer liquid? I have a S500 W220 Benz. That I purchased to replace my XJ8.

So after all of this I think I will sell both vehicles and upgrade to the newer Jags. Maybe a nice 2008

Old 02-13-2012, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Good to see your back
I think DExtron VI is the best for your tranny . I think you should try W212 E Class if you consider of selling your rides . Offer a test drive and you will be amazed

Old 02-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

breeze -
Good for you for persevering on this. From a strictly dollars and cents standpoint, the retail cost of the repairs you have done would have exceeded the cost of buying a similar one. Thus the advice from several to scrap it out. But these cars are so pretty it is nice to see one saved from the boneyard for awhile longer. Sounds like a very thorough repair.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by RegentV12
Good to see your back
I think DExtron VI is the best for your tranny . I think you should try W212 E Class if you consider of selling your rides . Offer a test drive and you will be amazed
Ive seen them, and do you know what the prices are running for this car lol? I'd prefer a new S550. W221. But I dont have that kind of money lol.

But I went to AutoZone today and picked up 5 qts of Castrol Transmax Import Multi–Vehicle. Thats what there computer recommended. Just wondering is that fine? Or will it F My Stuff up.

Quick Reply: Just had an accident need help on restoring.