XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Just looked at a '01 XJR for a forum member..

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:50 AM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by burmaz
I think you are getting criticized b/c XJR drivers out there might be afraid of a VDP S/C beating them off the line in a drag race.

I'm sure I might have gotten criticized for the cosmetic mods I have done to my VDP, but I have had mine for 9 years, and don't plan on selling it. I'm guessing that you might be in the same boat?

But, sadly, I don't see these cars become high priced classics unless you have a one owner car with extremely low miles (like 20k) and all the service records. I haven't seen any old XJ6 or XJ12 (series I-III) sell for HUGE $, unlike their E-type counterparts.
Unfortunately you are correct. I think the best we can hope for at this point is for the market to plateau. For whatever reason, I have a good feeling about the XJR-6. Whether its because of the fact that they were the first in the series or because of their great engine. Also, as the market is showing us there are much fewer nicer examples XJR-6s out there than XJR (X308). I have to admit that I have mulled over the idea of selling my 2001 XJR, finding a nice XJR-6 and pocketing the balance. I haven't really looked into it but given the right opportunity who knows... I would also add XKR Coupes as the ones to keep an eye on. Many convertibles built and sold, but fewer Coupes.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Tirefriar
I have a good feeling about the XJR-6.

So do I, bought this manual gear version, only 106 made. That's rare - solid car, and fun to drive. Nobody want's them in the UK. We're in recession, and gas prices at an all time high.

I can remember the same situation when you couldn't give 1950's XK's, Mark 2's and E's away.

With mint examples, it's a different story, exceptional cars make exceptional money, that's why all my Jaguars are rebuilt with picture/invoice files, they cannot be questioned.

I know the classic Jaguar market inside out. The manual R and 100 are 'neo classic XJ's' not at the point of desire as yet, but given time when the rest are scrap, guess what will sell for exceptional money....

Attached Thumbnails Just looked at a '01 XJR for a forum member..-img00146-20110812-1651.jpg  
Old 02-27-2013, 12:35 AM

Manual XJR-6??!! That would be my dream car!

Old 03-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

I saw a manual XJR-6 for sale on AutoTrader UK a couple months back,
really wanted it.

I thought the production figure was higher (350ish). Wow, that's rare. The red one on
Youtube, and the zircon one Clarkson drove on Top Gear, and Sean's,
accounts for 3% of all of them.

GerryXJR... Bilstein Green Sports (XJ V8 Sport dampers) would make a suitable
replacement for the VDP Touring CATS setup. XJR f/r sway bars would be good.
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are a must, no questions asked. Or Pirelli P-Zero,
but I cannot aver their greatness like I can with the Michelin (no comfort is
lost with the Michelin, I promise)

Quaife Limited Slip Differential will add to the added rear stability of the sway bar
(someone tell me, XJR sway and VDP S/C bars, same or not?) and
tougher dampers, now that is a setup. Then on the engine front,
upping boost is a popular option, I can take it or leave it, you are
trading off long-term engine life for a few bhp. The only time you
would ever notice it is if you raced another VDP S/C with a similar
record of maintenance. (If it was in better/worse shape, that could
negate the 30hp difference) of course, a sporty exhaust might be
a good idea too.

Ian

Old 03-12-2013, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by GerryXJR
Again, i cant thank Marco enough for going out of his way on 2 attempst to look at the XJR....

Although it was the color combo, and supposedly had some upgrades for powere that i was looking for... he clearly made me realize it was not the one...

And turning me onto the VDP S/C was just great...

And YES this car will be enjoyed and cared for....

First things first... i have to look at the tensioners !

I am going to try to get some service info from Jaguar tomarow...as the car comes with none..

Then on to make it a mean beast !

Looks like an Avos T/S, rear swaybar, and a Brembo upgrade are in its future next season...
I read through Avos' thread and one thing stood out in my mind: upgraded exhausts, smaller/larger pulleys and large air filters will cost $$$ and give you a rather limited noticeable hp gain. For few $ more you can get the T/S kit and get a meaningful power gain. I noticed that you mentioned it in your previous post. I'm just mulling over the idea of the T/S kit. I have to wrap up several Alfa projects first before taking on the T/S project for my 2001 XJR.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ian, thanks for the info..not sure what direction i'm gonna go....

Although the T/S kit is the real deal.. it is kinda pricey... dont think thats gonna happen this season, but ya never know.. LOL

Mina gallery, offers a package deal for 1350 for the smaller upper pulley, induction kit, and a borla cat back system... i think that will get me by for the summer... while i pack cash away for the T/S....

And BTW thanks for the tire info too, as i will need a set soon...I have been smoking them alot lately...

This car just makes you drive like an As$#@le now and then...

Old 03-13-2013, 06:08 AM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

Ian - the VDP S/C does not have a rear anti-sway bar. Installing one makes a huge difference but it is not a simple bolt on as the differential carrier does not have the castings that the bar bolts to. I had a bolt-on plate fabricated that allowed the sway bar to bolt in place. The front anti-sway bar is the smaller bar that is part of the comfort suspension.

I do not recommend replacing the CATS shocks with the the spor Bilsteins. Been there - tried that. The ride was way too stiff especially in the rear. The comfort springs and the sport shocks don't play well together. I re-fitted the CATS shocks.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:37 AM
Received 117 Likes on 54 Posts

I believe a 3.5 in intake and 2.5in cat back exhaust will get you more HP increase than that Mina setup. Add in a 3lb pulley and you'll really see some pulling power