XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Just replaced my tensioner look what I saw (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016 | 05:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vector
4-5 times! In how many miles?

Well I agree that the secondary chains may be worn on the outside of the chain where it touched the metal part of the tensioner, but that has nothing to do with the primaries.

Replace the secondary chains if you want to be safe, but they are probably OK.

Experience has taught us that the primary system lasts a long time and gives plenty of warning before it fails, which is not catastrophic anyway.

Secondaries are an easy DIY, primaries are a big job requiring specialized tools and knowledge.
Vector
Not on my car... I've done 4 or 5 other Jags as well as mine. Even one with the LATEST style tensioners... They were original parts and badly worn. Not cracked but worn. One had the New secondaries fitted and old chain guides. They were basically just a thin later of metal...

Every material loss results in a lower tensiondurability. A steel cable with 10 strands can hold say 1 tonne. But when 9 have snapped, it is f**ked.

My chains (secondaries) were badly worn. I measured something like 3/10th of a mm thinner/worn than the outside...

And why replace the whole lot? Because the plastic guides will just fall apart. How can they be less fatal? Instead of just one cam being damaged, all the cams on one side (therefore all the valves) will be knackered.

Saving money, okay. But not when it come to important parts IN the engine.

You can get full kits for less than €200 with the same 'quality' Jaguar offers... Why then just sabe a couple of quid/dollars/euros/yen/stones/bitte caps on just bodging two tensioners? Most Jobs I repaired were bodge jobs. Timing wasn't even with in spec afterwards... When I finished the timing was 100% and everything was like new...

Last edited by Daim; 05-20-2016 at 05:27 AM.