XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

just replaced transmission in xj8 now ABS, traction and stability fails

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2021 | 10:36 PM
|
Default just replaced transmission in xj8 now ABS, traction and stability fails

Quick backstory, I had a 1998 xj8 parts car with a bad transmission. recently found a mechanic that had a xj8 with a blown motor but his tranny had just been rebuilt (less than 15,000 miles). So I had him put the tranny in my car. He is a professional European auto mechanic. While driving the car, it seems to operate as it should (auto shifting up and down smoothly). But it does seem like it is just a bit klunky as it goes into D or R
Also every since he replaced the transmission the stability button on the J-gate is continually on no matter how many times you press the button (it never turns off) . On the dash the ABS, is constantly on. Also constantly flashing are the traction control failure warning and the stability control failure. I know the most common causes of these errors are weak battery, sensor or ABS control module - But does it mean anything that these only happened at the exact time of the transmission swap ?

I have driven the car about 100 miles and other than the klunkiness as it goes into D or R it seems ok BUT the traction control failure scares me as this error is what my other Jag has and on that Jag it goes into limp mode frequently, making it almost undriveable. My code reader is broken but the mechanic said there were NO codes. He said those lights are common and not to worry - but like I said the traction error bothers me.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Last edited by Edward_Woodward; 01-13-2021 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2021 | 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

call somebody who has real diagnostic equipment and can pull codes

Old 01-13-2021 | 11:26 PM
Veteran Member

The Stability Control and Traction Control are both parts of the ABS system so I don't think the transmission and its control unit have anything to do with the problem you are having. Perhaps some ABS system wire or connector has been disturbed during the transmission swap? As for the ABS codes, not every scanner will read them. My Icarsoft i930 does not but my Actron CP9575 does.

As to the Stability and Traction Control failures that you are having, both are not really for a great concern but should be sorted out (try with another code reader). Stability control reduces the engine output (via the throttle body) if a wheel is about to spin. Traction control acts as a limited slip diff - it will apply certain braking pressure on the wheel that is about to spin.

Old 01-14-2021 | 12:49 AM
|

Thanks for the replies so far. The mechanic that did the transmission swap sells 100+ cars a year mostly volvos but also jag, BMW, porsche - So I assume is code reader is top knotch - now he obviously could be lying to me about the codes, but he also did the state safety inspection and I think you can only have 1 code before failing inspection.

at this point my biggest fear is could the traction fail eventually start to send this jag into limp mode ? my other jag has been driven less than 40 miles in a year because it has the traction fail and is in limp mode most of the time. So is it possible this could degrade over time ? My other jag started with the limp mode about 20% of the time you shifted and within 6 months it degraded to limp mode 90% of the time the shifter was moved.

The other thing that seems strange is the jag with the new tranny was a daily driver before the tranny swap -so it seems strange all the lights would be on now - is there any tranny issue that would trigger the ABS and stability issue ? I know the traction failure can be related to the rotary switch on the tranny. I am just wondering if he didn't get something quite right when he did the tranny and this is the result ?

Old 01-14-2021 | 08:31 AM

There is no STABILITY button on the selector lever console area. There are SPORT MODE and SPEED CONTROL buttons.

Old 01-14-2021 | 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

The Traction Control button:

Old 01-14-2021 | 07:37 PM
|

thanks for the replies, motorcarman is right it's the SPORT mode button that is now constantly on

Old 01-15-2021 | 01:25 AM
|

also interesting unlike M stojanovic picture - instead off trac. off my button reads ASC Off - I guess I assumed it was an climate like AC button.

Mechanic had the car for 4 or 5 weeks , my battery is not old but it also isnt new - I might get a new battery (or trickle charge the crap out of mine) do a hard reset and see if that helps

Otherwise looks like I will be messing with the ABS module and solder

Old 01-15-2021 | 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

If the “new” transmission was being tested while the wheels were off the ground and going through the gears, an abs fault will show because it thinks the 2 front wheel speed sensors haven’t shown any vehicle speed.

Old 01-28-2021 | 05:45 PM

It is a 1998 Jaguar XK8.

Started having problems in March 2020 when the transmission had to be rebuilt. Battery ran down while it was in the transmission shop. Put in a new battery. Then ABS light came on, said transmission failure. Took it back to transmission shop, they said it was the neutral safety switch. Installed a new one. Light would come and go.

Took it to a auto repair shop. Their scanner said it was the driver side front sensor. I replaced it. ABS light went off for a day. Now it comes on before I move the car. Once the car begins to move, it generates a yellow light, traction failure.

Both the auto repair and transmission rebuild shops have said they have no advice for me because their scanners do not tell them anything is wrong.

Any tips on what I should do next?