XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 07:35 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Just going to add the question:

Is the possibility of a one tenth of a percent to one half a percent increase in horsepower, which is not discernable by the average driver, worth the possibility of damage to the MAF sensor/engine, which could leave your car with much lower performance, rough running, failure to start and maybe having to replace the sensor at a significant cost?

IIRC, most of the problems with K&N filters occur when the owner cleans and re-oils the filter before reinstalling it. If a little oil is good, a lot is better, right?

Also, the cleaning and oiling instructions that come with the K&N are not really clear about the "how much is too much" question. "Do not over oil the filter." What exactly does that mean?

My XJR runs like a banshee, so why mess it up?

My final analysis: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

We are suckers for bolt on, drop in, spray on and pour in mods that promise to give us better performance.

Now, let's talk about motor oil and fuel choices, OK. :-)
Vector

The following users liked this post:
omgimali (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Vector
Just going to add the question:

Is the possibility of a one tenth of a percent to one half a percent increase in horsepower, which is not discernable by the average driver, worth the possibility of damage to the MAF sensor/engine, which could leave your car with much lower performance, rough running, failure to start and maybe having to replace the sensor at a significant cost?

IIRC, most of the problems with K&N filters occur when the owner cleans and re-oils the filter before reinstalling it. If a little oil is good, a lot is better, right?

Also, the cleaning and oiling instructions that come with the K&N are not really clear about the "how much is too much" question. "Do not over oil the filter." What exactly does that mean?

My XJR runs like a banshee, so why mess it up?

My final analysis: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

We are suckers for bolt on, drop in, spray on and pour in mods that promise to give us better performance.

Now, let's talk about motor oil and fuel choices, OK. :-)
Vector
Haha, I can't disagree with you on that!