XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Key or Ignition???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Key or Ignition???

We've become quite accustomed to our Vandy's eccentricities, so when my wife reported a couple of weeks ago that the interior lights were coming on for now reason then fading off on her drives home from work, I didn't get too excited. However, this week she (the wife) has been stuck home all week with strep throat, so i drove Vandy to the gym for 3 days. Two of those days (30+ degrees outside), when I started the car the driver memory buttons would not work, nor would the steering wheel adjust.

The first day I just killed the car, pulled the key out then put it back in and started the car. Once it took doing it twice, before the memory buttons and steering wheel adjustment worked.

The second day, I tried jiggling the key around and the buttons begin to work again. However, I then noticed on the drive home from the gym that the interior lights came on, then slowly faded back off...just as my wife had reported.

Day three...more of the same.

So, now I'm wondering...ignition switch or the key?

Old 01-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

My vote is for the door ajar microswitch in the driver door. That would explain even the memory buttons and column not working. If the car thinks the door is open, the interior lights come on and the memory seat goes to the entry position. At that point there is no seat or column movement possible until the door signals as closed, and everything goes back to its normal position. Then all can be moved by their switches.

Cheers,

Old 01-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would agree with your logic xjrguy. However, the "open door" message does not appear when this happens. Shouldn't the message be part of the symptoms if this were the case?

Old 01-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

And so the Jaguar Poltergeist strikes again. I had this problem more often that I would like to admit and I need to tell you that you are not alone. I feel the problem is related to the age of the battery and poor connections in the electrical system. How old is the battery? You should also have the battery checked at any AutoZone, Pep Boys, Sears – you get the picture and see what they say. I recently had to replace my battery and all the little poltergeist issues went away. Check the battery first and leave the key thing alone…

Old 01-19-2011, 02:15 AM
Received 111 Likes on 55 Posts

I have the same problem with my 1999 XJ8.
From time to time the interior lights do come on and after a few seconds fade away again.
This happens only while driving.

All of my door microswitches seem to work properly.
(I checked with ignition on and working through every door checking the "door open" message.)

Couldn't find a solution so far...

David

Old 02-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

You might get behind the glove box and check the 3 mounting nuts for the Body Processor. The thing grounds thru the mounting and if it is loose, various weird occurrences can result. I've seen it cause phantom lighting before.

Cheers,

Old 02-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

If it were mine I'd....

1. Check the battery voltage and condition.
2. While you are in there give it a "hard boot".
3. If problem persists, start looking for a faulty ground like XJR guy said.

So far for me, every time the electrical gremlins show up, I've been able to make them go away after a hard reboot. However I'm sure my days of chasing bad grounds/corrosion are about to begin as my car is getting another strong dose of salt again this winter.

Ken