XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Key won't open XJR door

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key won't open XJR door

Hi - I have an odd issue. I've got the battery disconnected at the moment as I've been doing a few tidy up jobs on the electrics, so I manually locked all the doors overnight.
Today, I went to get in and could not open the drivers door with the key. Luckily I could get in the boot (trunk) and reconnect the battery and then it opened OK electrically from the remote. As a test I went through the process again and it would seem that although I can lock the car manually with the key, it won't unlock it.
Is this something anyone else has experienced? I'm probably going to have the door-cards off at some point to hunt down some rattles, and while in there should I be looking for something errant with the lock?

Cheers,
Tom

Old 09-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Tombloke
Hi - I have an odd issue. I've got the battery disconnected at the moment as I've been doing a few tidy up jobs on the electrics, so I manually locked all the doors overnight.
Today, I went to get in and could not open the drivers door with the key. Luckily I could get in the boot (trunk) and reconnect the battery and then it opened OK electrically from the remote. As a test I went through the process again and it would seem that although I can lock the car manually with the key, it won't unlock it.
Is this something anyone else has experienced? I'm probably going to have the door-cards off at some point to hunt down some rattles, and while in there should I be looking for something errant with the lock?

Cheers,
Tom
Strange you should mention this problem, the other day I had my battery disconnected and halfway through doing what I was doing (as it always happens ) with tools all on display, get summonsed indoors by the managing director ( domestic ) AKA she who must be obeyed, and could not lock the door ? Had to hold external handle out and push the chrome internal button down and shut the door.
This was odd as I had the car for months before I got the remote to work, and she always locked / unlocked with the key .
To cut a long story short, she unlocked OK, but would still not lock with the key. Reconnected the battery and she locks / unlocks perfectly with the key ???

Old 09-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I played again tonight and I've discovered that with the key, if I turn it fully then the plunger descends further than when it locks electrically. At this point it seems to jam up on something which prevents it lifting back up.
So if I carefully "half" lock the door, then it will open up again OK.
Another little job for the list.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:18 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Lots of previous posts about the importance of using the key regularly so this doesn't happen....... Get some lock graphite and squirt the lock. Work the key and it will
loosen up and do as it should. Anything mechanical works better with exercise