XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Leaking power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021 | 12:03 PM
|
Default Leaking power steering pump

The power steering pump in my 2003 XJ8 Vanden Plas is leaking. It looks like it's not leaking when I'm driving but when I turn off the car, next morning there is a huge leak. I think I identified the leak. It's marked in the attached image. I have some questions.
  1. I need to order the parts. How do I know if I should order the pump and/or the hose (item 12 on the image)?
  2. If I need to order the hose, what's the item number? As you can see on the image, there are 4 different SKUs for item 12, and are the two items listed under included or need to be ordered separately (JLM 20366 and KSR 605002)?
  3. And the most important one, is there a place where I can find step-by-step instructions on the replacement?
  4. Once replaced, does the system need to be bleed/vacuumed?

Thank you for all your help. If there is anyone in New Jersey that does that, it would be great.

Old 06-30-2021 | 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by banar
is there a place where I can find step-by-step instructions on the replacement?
Check out this link to the shop manual.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bu2w7j...anual.pdf/file

You can do a search in the manual for "Power Steering".

Try starting at page 471.

Last edited by Carnival Kid; 06-30-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-30-2021 | 02:15 PM

Generally if it is leaking at the hose to pump connection replacing o-ring should do, o-ring size is about 10mm OD and 7mm ID you can reach there without dismantling anything just drain reservoir first and prepare rags
If it is pump itself then remove pulley, belt tensioner, four bolts on pump front and one at back which dunno why have to keep dipstick suffixed to it, pump should leave the bracket then,
it may be hose itself, it usually leak at crimped spot, replacement should be straight forward
you may replace or use silicone on item 6 cause probably it hardened to much to seal by itself alone,
no need to bleed anything just turn steering wheel full lock few times and it will bleed itself, check level afterwards
Just replaced pump on mine today, pulley got loose and the thing started to rattle in a such way that neighbors got alarmed, me not so much cus my radio is loud.
replacing this thing took all morning and i can't say good word about that, it is stuck in tight place and if you don't have pianist hands you will have to fight your way.

Old 06-30-2021 | 04:31 PM
|

@Carnival Kid thank you. If you have ANY other PDFs like this, please share.

@xjack Dziekuje bardzo! Do I have to buy the O ring (KSR605002) from Jaguar? or any O ring from retail stores? How do you disconnect this hose?

I recently acquired access to the Jaguar topix system and downloaded everything they had related to x308. Here is the package for you guys. It self-destructs in 7 days. I hope it's helpful for you guys.

Old 06-30-2021 | 05:04 PM

Nie ma za co , i bought my o-rings, few close sizes, in local online o-ring supplier before attempting the job but they all resulted to large, luckily original was in good condition so i took the measure for posterity and refitted. viton will do well in this application and you unscrew the hose with wrench nr 16...

Old 06-30-2021 | 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

@Carnival Kid thank you. If you have ANY other PDFs like this, please share.
Banar, check out the top of this page and click on "Forums","General Jaguar Forums","General Tech help".....and scroll down the "stickies", there are lots of links to useful PDFs.

Alternately/additionally, post with questions and there are plenty of friendly knowledgeable members here to help.

Old 07-03-2021 | 01:41 PM
|

I guess it's unfortunately a pump, as I see it's leaking in the place as I marked on the image.

@Carnival Kid I tried my best finding replacement instructions in the manual, but it's not there. I'm kind of surprised that such a long document with all the info doesn't have it. Thoughts? I will only be able to do it myself if I have instructions.
@xjack how do I get the belt off of the pulley first and how do I know when it's the right tension when I put it back on? And.... with the pump, do I have to bleed/vacuum when the pump is replaced?

Old 07-03-2021 | 03:16 PM

Well, the place you marked may be o-ring, hose or pump itself, if you are sure it is pump fine, if not then clean the area well, use brake cleaner to remove all oil residues and then run engine and inspect area with flash light, o-ring is cheap try, but if you invest in pump only to discover it was the hose you gonna be few hundreds poorer and it is easy to avoid
Tensioner is spring loaded and adjusts tension by itself, you release it with ratchet like that

no need to bleed anything just run engine and check level afterwards
I did my pump at local rebuilder but i've seen rockauto stocks them at fair price and you can return yours for core charge, however if you like diy you can rebuild thing yourself i think kits are available online

Old 07-03-2021 | 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

@Carnival Kid I tried my best finding replacement instructions in the manual, but it's not there. I'm kind of surprised that such a long document with all the info doesn't have it.
It is a little strange that pump replacement isn't covered in the manual. Checking forum threads from people who have done the job it seems that it is fairly straightforward, a little tight to get at, and attacking from underneath may be "easier"? Basically a case of draining fluid, removing bolts and replacing with a new pump, the only bleeding would be to turn the steering lock-to-lock several times while checking the fluid level.

Old 07-03-2021 | 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

The biggest challenge with changing the pump is removing the large fluid supply (from the reservoir) hose from the top of the pump because they’re likely the original and it’s rock hard. If you get a pump, get the supply hose from the reservoir to pump. It’s #6 in the diagram above.

Old 07-03-2021 | 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

I guess it's unfortunately a pump, as I see it's leaking in the place as I marked on the image.
A fairly common leak on these pumps is from the joint (gasket) of the back cover to the pump body (this was the case on my pump and replacing the gasket solved it completely). If your leak is from there, you will need to get this kit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/26308597943...cAAOSwr~lYo3VQ

Old 07-04-2021 | 05:58 AM
|

@M. Stojanovic That’s exactly what it looks like. I ordered the pump, $110 item. Would there be any benefit of cancelling the order and ordering the gasket kit you recommended other than saving about $70($110-$30)?

@Addicted2boost You are absolutely right. I replaced this hose some time ago so it’s not going to be a problem.

Old 07-04-2021 | 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

Would there be any benefit of cancelling the order and ordering the gasket kit you recommended other than saving about $70($110-$30)?
Well, you have to decide what to do. In my case, I bought two kits, used one and keeping one as spare.

Old 03-31-2022 | 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by xjack
Generally if it is leaking at the hose to pump connection replacing o-ring should do, o-ring size is about 10mm OD and 7mm ID you can reach there without dismantling anything just drain reservoir first and prepare rags
If it is pump itself then remove pulley, belt tensioner, four bolts on pump front and one at back which dunno why have to keep dipstick suffixed to it, pump should leave the bracket then,
it may be hose itself, it usually leak at crimped spot, replacement should be straight forward
you may replace or use silicone on item 6 cause probably it hardened to much to seal by itself alone,
no need to bleed anything just turn steering wheel full lock few times and it will bleed itself, check level afterwards
Just replaced pump on mine today, pulley got loose and the thing started to rattle in a such way that neighbors got alarmed, me not so much cus my radio is loud.
replacing this thing took all morning and i can't say good word about that, it is stuck in tight place and if you don't have pianist hands you will have to fight your way.
Thanks for your info on the HP line "O" ring. This seems to be classified "eyes-only" hidden information. I have already removed the pump and had to cut that hardened fill hose. As hard as it was to get the PS fitting loose from the pump (finally used a 5/8" stubby and a bar with a little pressure to break it loose), I would really like to keep the original hose and fitting, but replace the "O" ring seal.

My son and I both tried to either pick the old seal off the fitting, or "roll" it off the end. Neither worked and we didn't want to damage the seal that is there.....just in case. Can you tell me how (if) you took that seal off for replacement, and where did you finally get a proper size to put back in?

Ken