XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Leaper Broken

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

MCM- you ever go to the Burro canyon range?

Old 03-31-2014, 11:47 AM
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Haven't been there. We usually go to Angeles north of us

Old 05-24-2016, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Iconoclast
I’ve now replaced 2 leapers on my 2000 XJ8.
One in 2005 when the OE was ripped off leaving only the base & just yesterday bc of the issue I posted here.

A new leaper comes attached to the base with a cable & a spring. To remove the old leaper you unscrew the white plastic nut under the hood & then loosen the adhesive which still holds the base FIRMLY to the hood. I use a hair dryer to heat the base & then both dental floss & some type of thin plastic. I’ve heard guitar picks work. Or fishing line. Then use Goo Gone carefully to remove residual adhesive from the hood being carful to not get it on any area the leaper base does’t hide. Prying with a metal tool is not recommended anywhere I have searched. The method I described will work.

Now when you have your shiny, adhesive free, clean hood with the holes -- it is easy to install the new leaper.

YES, it should come with the bottom of the base covered in adhesive like a type of two sided tape. It is protected by a paper that you remove. If your leaper had no adhesive it is not new &/or not a Genuine Jaguar part. I’ve heard there are Chinese knock offs.

Anyway, you remove the new white plastic nut, remove the protective paper(s) & carefully place the new leaper in the correct spot. It s/b easy as the threaded large circular part with the protruding cable end goes into the largest hole & the base has a small peg that fits into the rearmost hole in the hood so it is perfectly aligned. Press down firmly & then open the hood & attach & hand tighten the new, white plastic nut. You may be able to work a pliers in there to tighten the nut a bit more. It is semi-hidden in the hole in the underside of the hood.

Voila! You’re done.

BTW, I bought mine (new) from this eBay guy, canman9, for ~ $73. He says he gets then from England. He was very good re answering questions. He seems to sell leapers for many models/years.

Jaguar hood ornament! New Steel 1998 1999 2000 2001 XJ8 | eBay
Old thread, I know. But I wanted to say 'thank you' for posting the above link to the guy on eBay - canman9 - who sells a variety of inexpensive Jaguar OEM leapers on eBay. The link took me straight to his leapers, where I bought a new Jaguar brand polished chrome leaper assembly for my '05 S-Type for a meager $33.70 US. Great deal! You saved me a heap of aggrevation. Again, many thanks.
Steve

The following users liked this post:
Johnny_B (05-24-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 12:34 AM
Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jag Flash
Old thread, I know. But I wanted to say 'thank you' for posting the above link to the guy on eBay - canman9 - who sells a variety of inexpensive Jaguar OEM leapers on eBay. The link took me straight to his leapers, where I bought a new Jaguar brand polished chrome leaper assembly for my '05 S-Type for a meager $33.70 US. Great deal! You saved me a heap of aggrevation. Again, many thanks.
Steve
You’re Welcome!

Happy to have helped!

Jumpin' Jag Flash (05-25-2016)
Old 07-11-2018, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great posts on leapers all.

I'll be parking my excellent condition XJ8 in NYC on side streets ( where garage parking $65 + 18% city tax a night in local garages too much every night) - so the leaper theft is a concern. Has been OK in past in other urban local areas-lucky.

Next to seeing the "Vehicle to Low" warning (CATS replaced) - the "Missing leaper on the hood" in the morning - is worse! Does anyone make a "decoy" leaper (possibly plastic) so I can remove the OEM leaper & place the plastic/cheaper one while in city.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:01 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by reberle
Great posts on leapers all.

I'll be parking my excellent condition XJ8 in NYC on side streets ( where garage parking $65 + 18% city tax a night in local garages too much every night) - so the leaper theft is a concern. Has been OK in past in other urban local areas-lucky.

Next to seeing the "Vehicle to Low" warning (CATS replaced) - the "Missing leaper on the hood" in the morning - is worse! Does anyone make a "decoy" leaper (possibly plastic) so I can remove the OEM leaper & place the plastic/cheaper one while in city.
I haven't thought of it, but there are plenty of people out there these days offering 3D printing services. I'm sure with a scanning/printing service, it could be done. That said, maybe just grab a cheap used one on e-bay to use? Just saw a few on there for about twenty bucks, would be hard to top that for cost.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:51 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good morning guys, I realize I am dragging up an old subject but didn’t want to start a new post on this. When I bought my XJR the leaper was broken from the base. I have both pieces but opted to get a whole new one and replace it. I discovered something I had not seen discussed on here as I was removing my old base. There are two small holes in the leaper base and they are threaded. There’s also two counter sunk holes in the leaper base. It looks to me as if it was intended at some point to attach the leaper with screws instead of the spring. I can’t imagine why. But anyway, i found a couple of short machine screws in my garage that worked and it tightens perfectly to the base. Then just screw it back on to the hood with the large plastic nut. Now I realize that this could damage your hood if a theif decides he wants it again so I’m not recommending it. However, if your car is not driven very much and you don’t park it in tempting places then you might get away with it. I’m including some photos so you can see and also for anyone who is wondering what is underneath that leaper base. I found that fishing line works to help remove it but at a certain point you will run into the pin at the back of the base as well as the large nut at the front. So be aware of that. I’m planning on making a paperweight with my old leaper and base for my desk. Anyway, hope this helps!

XJR hood with leaper base removed.

Comparison of leaper base to holes on the hood.

Threaded holes underside of “cat”.

Another angle showing the screws attaching the leaper to the base.

Showing base attached to leaper with small screws.

Attached to base with the screws.

Carnival Kid (10-02-2018)
Old 11-12-2022, 08:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
Just one thing to make sure of -- get the right size, there are two sizes.
Fantastic, but WHAT is the correct size for a 2001 X308?