XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Leather conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 06:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

I use Bag Balm - a salve first sold in 1899 to soothe cows udders after milking - on both my cars to amazing results. It goes on pretty greasy, so I like to let it 'sit' for a while (presumably absorbing into the leather) and then wipe off whatever remains. It also has a faint farm-y smell; but I must say, when that subsides, the full bouquet of the original leather reasserts itself. My cars smell and look great. Also, it's super cheap and can be picked up at Farm & Fleet.

I guess I figure, what's best for the cow is probably best for my car.

cheers,
Scott+

Old 09-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

GRIOT' leather care spray is the best I have found.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:00 AM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I've used Leatherique and like it.

Realistically speaking, if leather conditioner "smells like leather" it's because it has perfumes in it to make it so. Even leather doesn't "smell like leather" forever because the volatiles in it that create the smell do dissipate.

It's interesting to see people bring up the difference between vat-dyed leather (same color from surface all the way through to the "suede" side) and Connolized leather (surface painted dye).

All of the older British cars I've dealt with from the 1960s on have routinely used Connolized leather. My XJ8L has Connolized leather. It is difficult to condition this leather when it's in "absolutely perfect" condition because the dye (paint) layer isn't very good about allowing anything to absorb. As it develops micro-cracks from flexing it becomes easier to get it to accept conditioner.

Vat-dyed leather, which seems to be "the in thing" now (and which I like better) is like a sponge from day one by comparison.

Connolized leather is, however, far easier to rehabilitate since you can, literally, sand off the color layer and reapply new dye (paint).

Virtually all conditioners that use any oils, and that's most of the products listed so far in this thread, work much better if you have the car outside on a sunny day, apply them, then roll up the windows to allow for several hours of "bake in" to the leather. You get much more absorbed into the hide itself. In the winter I've known friends who put black trash bags over the seats with the windows rolled up to try to boost the heating during the colder months.

The following users liked this post:
WaterDragon (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by guyslp
I've used Leatherique and like it.

Realistically speaking, if leather conditioner "smells like leather" it's because it has perfumes in it to make it so. Even leather doesn't "smell like leather" forever because the volatiles in it that create the smell do dissipate.

It's interesting to see people bring up the difference between vat-dyed leather (same color from surface all the way through to the "suede" side) and Connolized leather (surface painted dye).

All of the older British cars I've dealt with from the 1960s on have routinely used Connolized leather. My XJ8L has Connolized leather. It is difficult to condition this leather when it's in "absolutely perfect" condition because the dye (paint) layer isn't very good about allowing anything to absorb. As it develops micro-cracks from flexing it becomes easier to get it to accept conditioner.

Vat-dyed leather, which seems to be "the in thing" now (and which I like better) is like a sponge from day one by comparison.

Connolized leather is, however, far easier to rehabilitate since you can, literally, sand off the color layer and reapply new dye (paint).

Virtually all conditioners that use any oils, and that's most of the products listed so far in this thread, work much better if you have the car outside on a sunny day, apply them, then roll up the windows to allow for several hours of "bake in" to the leather. You get much more absorbed into the hide itself. In the winter I've known friends who put black trash bags over the seats with the windows rolled up to try to boost the heating during the colder months.

Thanks for the good info