XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

left indicator issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 05:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation left indicator issue

so i havent driven my jag in a few days and now all of a sudden the left indicator doesnt work, it worked fine the previous time i drove the car, without issues. then when i used the car yesterday, the indicator noise was sped up, logically this means theres no power to that bulb, which is correct, i tried 4 diferent new bulbs, another connector, even tested the resistance along the wires, its giving out less power than it should be but has done this spontaniously, the right indicator is fine, i even used it to make sure the parts in the left indicator were working and functioning properly, which means its an issue further up? is there a loose connector futher up? is there a junction box or something? im at a loss, even had to get my grandfather to help me figure this one out, and we cant understand what the issue is. we dont have the space to take the front bumper off and follow the cable up, to check but we know the actual connectors for the bulb work fine. i mean where do i go from here? an auto electriccian? or a mechanic? im stumped, i may be a bit daft but i typically look after this car and i dont know what more to do, or that i can do with the space i have available. also wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and what they did to fix it?...im just at a loss right now.

its the very front most left indicator, the side and backs all work fine which confuses me a bit.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:01 PM
Received 196 Likes on 125 Posts

In has a control module. They are crazy expensive new, but maybe can find used. My right brake light was only putting out 4 volts. Below is a link to my fix:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...letput-246088/
I guess you could do my fix, but you'd have to run a wire from the rear blinker to the front blinker.

Old 06-16-2021, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by pcolapacker
In has a control module. They are crazy expensive new, but maybe can find used. My right brake light was only putting out 4 volts. Below is a link to my fix:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...letput-246088/
I guess you could do my fix, but you'd have to run a wire from the rear blinker to the front blinker.
do you have a wiring diagram? also do you know what the module is called? theres many control modules on the jag

Old 06-16-2021, 06:42 AM
Received 196 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Perry Tannagh
do you have a wiring diagram? also do you know what the module is called? theres many control modules on the jag
Try some searches on the forum. You'll find posts with pdfs of the repair manual and electrical manual.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar problem recently, albeit in my case all four indicators failed. The relevant module is the BPM (body processor module), located behind the glovebox. If you inspect the wiring diagram, you will find that the BPM has a single output to each bulb, and B+ volts is provided to all four from the BPM via a single fuse (no. 3 IIRC) in the RH rear footwell. In addition there is a input to the BMP from the column switch, the BPM then provides an output to the instrument cluster & the relevant bulbs (there is no direct link between cluster and switch). In your case it seems likely that you have a bad cable between the BPM and your front left bulb OR you have a bad earth on that particular connector. You can test this by removing the connector from the BPM and testing for continuity between pin 2 (FC15-2) and the FL bulb connector (you may need the electrical guide to figure out which is pin 2). Also there are three connectors along this line, so the problem could lie at any of these - but access to the two inside the cabin is not easy, the third I believe is near the bumper.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:34 AM

honestly this is a great response ill see what i can do with this info, if you have links to the diagrams id be very happy, iv also looked up the part you mentioned, as worst case, id asume id have to get a replacement. just for your input alone you have saved me some stress that its not gonna cost me the world to do myself, or atleast given me more hope. thanks so much ill try look for these cables. just to clarify , the connector to this processor is the indicator right? it doesnt go from the processor to another box? the indicator just plugs right into it? if so, i already ordered replacement indicator for that side just to see if it will work so i have the new wire on the way already. you have been a great help thanks a lot.