XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

LF Door: Cable issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts
Default LF Door: Cable issue?

The inside handle for the drivers front door now needs to be extended to the limit for the door to open -- I had to unlock the door prior to trying to open yesterday.

Reading through the threads I don't understand whats going on. The exterior door handle works as normal as does the power lock on the door. Both of those issues pop up together when I look for online for a cause.

Does the cable stretch? Or is something else going on? The cable is not that long -- how is it able to stretch enough to cause the problem?

Old 11-10-2016, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

If the cable is in a spiral wound housing, like on bicycle brakes, it can stretch a fair amount. The "stretch" is actually the housing compressing, rather than the cable itself stretching, since a braided steel cable isn't really going to change in length too much.

There could also be something else going on, like the ends of the housing could be mangled or moved out of position, effectively "stretching" the cable as well. Or maybe there's an adjustment nut come loose, I haven't tried adjusting inner door cables yet.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

It is time to replace the cable. It is a common failure for the drivers door because of the frequent use. The end of the stranded cable begins to sepearate and the detent on the end begins to move. If you go to the JAGBITS web site they carry the cable and you can get a look at it.
There are a number of threads on the site here explaining how to replace the cable. You will need to remove the door card and make absolutely sure you disconnect the battery before working inside the door. You don't want that power window moving around when your arms are in there.

Last edited by avern1; 11-10-2016 at 11:27 AM.