XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Lift Master GDO & 03 Vanden Plas failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 PM
Received 132 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Lift Master GDO & 03 Vanden Plas failure

Hello again folks. It seems as though I've come to another impass. I am trying to load the garage door openers on my 2003 with the Lift Master garage door openers. The garage door openers are 3 years old and have the learn button on the back side. I have gone through the manual an attempted all different manners of trying to program the buttons on the car to no avail. It doesn't appear as it is going to work at all. I know that the transmitters work and I know that they can be programmed on other vehicles as my wife's then has the same programming &functioning properly. I have tried the learn button, I have tried clearing all of the codes, I have tried different buttons, etc, etc, etc. Nothing seems to make a difference. Has anyone else faced this dilemma? If so, were you over come it and if so, how? I am at a loss and would like to remove the unsightly fob from my rearview mirror. Thank you all!

Regards,
RAGMAN!!!

Old 04-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

You should just have to program the garage door opener remote to your car's garage door opener button of choice. Then hit the learn button on the garage door opener motor and within some 30seconds press your car's garage door opener button and that is it.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Schwabe
You should just have to program the garage door opener remote to your car's garage door opener button of choice. Then hit the learn button on the garage door opener motor and within some 30seconds press your car's garage door opener button and that is it.
I thought so too. I tried several attempts with the learn button as well and no success. All listed possibilities tried (and some unlisted), to no avail...

Last edited by ragman1171; 04-03-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:33 AM
Default **RESOLVED** Lift Master GDO & 03 Vanden Plas failure **RESOLVED**

After many emails with Chamberlain (the manufacturer of the garage door openers I own) going back & forth about what to do next after I defined the bloody procedure to him repeatedly & explaining how I had already tried what he was suggesting to no avail. Furthermore, I explained in GREAT detail, the numerous types of varying procedures all ending in failure, I was finally able to arrange a phone call with a tech... Please bear in mind that I own ALL of the original manuals (to include the audio security card with all of its contents) & I purchased the digital versions of the manuals from the most elementary to the Full Service & Technical so that I would/could be as prepared to be a responsible 2003 VDP owner. [Side note - picked up a Rain-X Latitude wiper for it today and LOVED IT]

Jag = 2003 Jaguar Vanden Plas (VDP) with four (4) Homelink buttons
LiftMaster GDO = Formula 1 Garage Door Opener(s) (by Chamberlin) with Purple “Learn” button”
Homelink Buttons = Jaguar Front Upper Console Buttons numbered 1-4
Remote = LiftMaster 3-Button Remote (2 small on left & large on right)
Outdoor Keyless entry = Wall unit screwed into the outside wall
Indoor control = Opener, Light, & Lock buttons

I am overjoyed to announce that, not only does the Homelink operate both garage doors on properly, I was able to program one of the remaining two Homelink buttons to shut off the GDO lights if I choose. I feel the need to copy & paste the procedures that were necessary to enable this for as long & hard as I searched, I was not able to locate the procedures to accomplish this simple task. I worked on these procedures for many hours from memory to ensure I did not make an error and did not leave out any pertinent information. In keeping with my long-winded nature that some of you have come to expect, I will not disappoint here either! Not only am I going to copy/paste the procedures so that keywords can be found in future basic & advanced searches for those who find themselves in my shoes one day or may have already have filled them without resolve, but I ALSO completed a PowerPoint slide (saved as a .jpg) with the procedures that also contain pics of the main items utilized for this menacing task that should have not even been an issue. I STRONGLY recommend reading through this thoroughly first and having all the necessary items readily available (step ladder for the GDO, GDO learn side cover open, driver’s window down to help ensure you’re not accidentally/automatically locked out. Have your stuff out and ready. I started typing this with a basic Key/Legend so that repeated explanations would not be needed throughout the process.

Start the car & leave it running. Park the car four to five feet directly in front of the door being programmed. The programming will not work if this is not done. If you feel the need to clear out any previously saved codes in the Homelink, it is done so by pressing & holding the two outermost channel buttons (1 & 4) until the light begins to flash rapidly. This will erase all three channels. For reasons unbeknownst to me, my Homelink light is orange rather than a red or a yellow as the owner’s manuals refer to quite often. No matter though. To continue;

Position the remote approximately 1” from the desired Homelink button (literally 1”). Press them simultaneously until the Homelink light flashes rapidly & then release both. On the LiftMaster, press the learn button (do not hold it for more than one second) & you then have 30 seconds to return to the Jag & press the Homelink button chosen previously for two full seconds, release, & then press it again for two full seconds. *NOTE – no matter what you see the lights or Homelink, GDO, etc do during the last two steps (they may flash), do exactly an instructed. Now press the newly programmed button (for about ½ to ¾ of a second) & the garage door will open or close as it is supposed to do (whatever the opposite of the current position is).

To program another door, choose another Homelink button & another remote button follow the previous steps.

If you choose to use one of the remote buttons to operate the garage door lights, the instructions are as follows:
Press & hold the desired button on the remote (not one of the buttons used to open/close the garage door), the Light, & the Lock buttons (the latter two are located on the Indoor control) until that GDO light flashes, then release all three If you have additional units, follow the exact same steps with the other Indoor control. If you have more than one remote, you will need to complete these steps on all of them as well if you so choose.

If you choose to use one of the Homelink buttons to control the turning on & off of the GDO lights, you MUST complete the light programming on at least one of the remotes first as you will need it in later steps. You will an assistant & the instructions are as follows:
Hold the remote approximately 1” from the desired Homelink button & the button on the remote that controls the garage door lights currently. You must press both buttons until you see the Homelink light flash rapidly & then release both. With one person in the Jag, go to the indoor unit & press the light & lock buttons together until the GDO light flashes & then release all three. If you have additional GDOs, you do not need to go through ALL of the light programming steps again. Have the person in the Jag press & hold the same Homelink button as before while you press the Light & Lock buttons on the next indoor unit until the desired GDO light flashes & then release all three.

Attached Thumbnails Lift Master GDO & 03 Vanden Plas failure-gdo-instructions-001.jpg   Lift Master GDO & 03 Vanden Plas failure-gdo-instructions-001-pics.jpg   Lift Master GDO & 03 Vanden Plas failure-gdoinstructions001pics_zps9f290add.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by ragman1171:
Alvin Burns (04-12-2014), Badbenz94 (04-10-2014), rocklandjag (04-09-2014), Schwabe (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Duuuuuuuuude, fantastic and thanks for sharing, did not know about the light function.

The following users liked this post:
ragman1171 (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 08:39 AM

Duuuuuuuuude, fantastic and thanks for sharing, did not know about the light function.
Really diggin' it myself too!!!

Old 04-09-2014, 08:44 AM

I just realized that I listed Outdoor Keyless entry*in the legend. I was going to add on a piece about that particular unit as well. I have two of the outdoor keyless entry keypads model 377LM. In which I can open either garage door by choosing which four digit code I want to program that opener too. You can sdt it fir multiple GDOs if desired. The reason I brought it up is that you can only use one of the keyless entry keypads as when you program the second one, the first one becomes null.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you for taking the time. I had given up on that feature, but looks like I'll be trying again.

ragman1171 (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by robot808
Thank you for taking the time. I had given up on that feature, but looks like I'll be trying again.
Robot,
I had "given up" twice, but it just kept eating at me. If my wife's Chrysler T&C LTD can do it, then so should mine!.

I recently heard (I have not researched it and cannot validate it) that the 2003 VDP was only in the USA and that's why my manual says "2002". At any rate, IT can't hurt to give it another try! JIC!!!

Old 04-10-2014, 09:03 AM

Now that I'm becoming an "old salt" at setting these on mine, I have the following settings:
Button #1 opens/closes the Left side door
Button #2 turns the left side light on/off
Button #3 opens/closes the right side door
Button #4 turns the right side light on/off

<<Feeling pretty proud of myself right now too!!! lol>>

So often, when I join any forum for any topic, I so RARELY am able to contribute to that forum knowledge base so soon after joining. I always feel like such a "leach" because I don't have any useful data to offer and this was one of the rare moments that I can.

bigcat777 (04-10-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 05:29 PM

My car can now open my garage.
Thank you so much!

ragman1171 (04-17-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by robot808
My car can now open my garage.
Thank you so much!
you are very welcome! I am elated that I am able to give back so soon to this forum. I know it seems like it is a small victory, but I'm sure with you it was a long time coming. It may take a bit 2 remember that you can use the built-in as opposed to the controller that was attached to your visor, like mine was, for so long. But, it will come. I am very, very glad that I was able to assist. enjoy it and don't forget that the light power is available as well to turn them on and off. Just a thought.

JimmyL (07-25-2015)
Old 04-17-2014, 07:56 PM

I actually just got the car a month ago, but I'm happy just the same.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you found the solution and shared with other folks, this will definitely save their time

Cheers