XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Likely Totaled :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

With the way everything bent it's likely that the body panels that hold the radiator, hood hinges, and so on, in place are bent to hell. Not sure how bad it is without more detailed disassembly... Mine had a salvage history and the shop did a poor job repairing that so the upper radiator mounts don't line up quite right, and the headlight brackets sit a little bit unevenly.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Chubb was around 9k a few years ago for mine -- They have an agreed value program w/o appraisals that bumped me to 18k. It's obviously under 9k today as they will only go to 15.8k today. Even my low mile garage queen is not going to hit 18k ... or 15k for that matter. There are two values at work -- what's it really worth ... and what would it cost for you to go and find a replacement tomorrow. Obviously the second is higher .. with time -- low mile examples are available in the 10-12k range in perfect condition.

With luxury cars it's very important to understand how this works because you can really get burnt. When my house fire hit I had and almost 6 model year old Cayenne with under 40k on it -- the car was perfect and was almost 80k when I bought it ... the book value was around 28k ...it was insured through Chubb for 48k. I had a similar aged/ mile/ condition Lexus that was 14k and 26k. Had I not had the correct insurance I would have lost much.

Obviously we are talking less here with the Jaguar but it still is substantial -- more like my wagon example. Unfortunately -- the wagon is on my business policy and they don't have the program to bump up the AV. It's also hard to get extra above the full book value for recent repairs -- they may give you a couple hundred. My wagon had a new windshield -- water pump/alternator/belts/tensioner ...about $2500 bucks worth of stuff in the mnoth prior ...not to mention the transmission and differential a few moths before. other stuff as well. They gave me $300 above book. That's why I bought it back -- I had fixed it prior to the accident with the idea to get a couple more years out of it. Also -- my insurance company had no problem putting it back on the policy because it never had the salvage title.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:35 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nilanium
With the way everything bent it's likely that the body panels that hold the radiator, hood hinges, and so on, in place are bent to hell. Not sure how bad it is without more detailed disassembly... Mine had a salvage history and the shop did a poor job repairing that so the upper radiator mounts don't line up quite right, and the headlight brackets sit a little bit unevenly.
Yeah I'm not familiar with what sub frame components are up front and if they are sacrificial in nature and can just be removed and replaced, or if there is greater underlying structural damage. Still haven't heard back from the adjuster so I haven't had a chance to look at the car. I'll ty to take some more pictures of what is damaged once I get to look at car and hopefully open the hood.