XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Limp mode gearbox fault no illumination one gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 09:01 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Limp mode gearbox fault no illumination one gear

Hoping for an answer soon as i have to sell my other car today i replaced my shifter and the same issue persists limp mode gearbox fault restricted performance when i put it in gear it sticks to one gear (unsure which one) i can only go about 30-35mph at around 3000rpm the limit is engaging this time (it was not before) with no illumination to the shifter next im replacing the shifter cable to see if that yields any results anymore assistance would be greatly appreciated thanks

Last edited by ForTheLoveOfCars; 12-08-2023 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-09-2023, 01:04 AM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

What were the fault codes from ecm and tcm?

Old 12-09-2023, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 296 Posts

You don't write much about the problem you are having and you don't write, which car.
With the minimal info you wrote there, the guessing start with:
Enough ATF (Automatic transmission Fluid)? Do you know, how to check it?
Other than that: Gear box fault?

The following 2 users liked this post by Peter_of_Australia:
drin559 (06-20-2024), ForTheLoveOfCars (12-10-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 04:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

That sounds like an alignment issue, there's a barrel adjustment on the side of the selector mechanism that you can adjust the cable for the correct position.

The following users liked this post:
ForTheLoveOfCars (12-10-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,029 Likes on 809 Posts

Once you start a post about a component or system, just stick to keeping your concerns within that post. 🙂

This is where getting a good scanner that reads live data would really pay off. Throwing parts at a car is never a good idea. Other possibility's is the conductor plate inside the transmission are known to go bad. The electrical connector on the front right side of the transmission can get ATF within those pins and cause weird electrical issues. Also that dual linear switch on the right side of the J gate are known to needing a good cleaning and adjustment. Again, these are just some examples that can go wrong on the Mercedes transmission. We really need live data to accurately and quickly provide you with answers.

The following users liked this post:
ForTheLoveOfCars (12-10-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 03:42 PM

Thank you and I apologize i am a bit scattered with this myself the car a 2001 jaguar xjr 4.0 supercharged i read some live data on it when i initially purchased the car and everything was normal (within spec) i brought the car to a local shop to get the shifter adjustment accurate and now i am told the lights illuminated and they could clear the codes so thats a plus! And since the codes are clearable now it may be fixed However understanding the conductor plate goes bad yesterday i ordered a Daimler replacement conductor plate (that was not easy to get under $150) scored it for $105 and a new cable is on the way as well i do know most people dont like throwing parts at cars but in the end id rather buy new parts then use the old worn ones granted there good quality the parts i replace wont go bad and if they do i have warranties if i had the money id replace everything working or not brand new parts tend not to die the next day or in change of season so I definitely like throwing random parts at it till its fixed in fact i encourage it that being said heres the new
-Shifter assembly (old one was very worn out i got a nearly new one).
-shifter cable (old one was very difficult to get to move freely inside its casing)
-conductor plate (working or not when not if it stops working ill have it at the ready) if it goes strong till i die then great i was prepared.

common issues are sorted for now but i wont know until the shop is finished with the cable installation mine broke at the hole end (dont ask things happen &#128521

Codes are
pending: P0705 transmission range sensor circuit(PRNDL input)

stored: P0705 transmission range sensor circuit(PRNDL input)
P1638 can link ecm/instm circuit/network

Old 12-20-2023, 11:30 AM

Update: my issues are resolved the car runs and drives great 👍 replacing the shifter and cable realigning the cable and and shifter made it all work great 😊

Old 12-20-2023, 02:39 PM

Alright so everything went smooth until a few drives in i still have a pending P0442 small evap leak any common places i should start looking?

Old 12-20-2023, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 884 Likes on 619 Posts

Start looking at the places shown in the last clumn:

The following 2 users liked this post by M. Stojanovic:
Don B (12-25-2023), ForTheLoveOfCars (12-21-2023)
Old 06-20-2024, 02:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Jaguar xjr 4.0 supercharged (p0715) turbine/input shaft speed sensor circuit

Originally Posted by Sean B
That sounds like an alignment issue, there's a barrel adjustment on the side of the selector mechanism that you can adjust the cable for the correct position.
I just changed my conductor plate as well as my connector from gearbox to selector and new updated bushing for connector still having the exact same issue after replacement I hadn’t even turned the engine over and the code was already their

Old 06-20-2024, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
You don't write much about the problem you are having and you don't write, which car.
With the minimal info you wrote there, the guessing start with:
Enough ATF (Automatic transmission Fluid)? Do you know, how to check it?
Other than that: Gear box fault?

could you possibly contact me on this similar issue

Old 06-20-2024, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sean B
is their any way you could FaceTime me and walk me thru this please ? I’m having the exact same issue 98 jag xjr 4.0 supercharger (p0715) today I replaced the conductor place and new plug and plug bushing since I seen atf in the plug as soon as I put it all together before I could even start the car the (gearbox) fault code was on and my check engine light as well obdII read p0715 instantly

Old 06-20-2024, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
Once you start a post about a component or system, just stick to keeping your concerns within that post. 🙂

This is where getting a good scanner that reads live data would really pay off. Throwing parts at a car is never a good idea. Other possibility's is the conductor plate inside the transmission are known to go bad. The electrical connector on the front right side of the transmission can get ATF within those pins and cause weird electrical issues. Also that dual linear switch on the right side of the J gate are known to needing a good cleaning and adjustment. Again, these are just some examples that can go wrong on the Mercedes transmission. We really need live data to accurately and quickly provide you with answers.

Could you plz contact me ? 98 jag xjr 4.0 super charged gearbox fault and (p0715) turbine/input shaft speed sensor circuit…..I replaced the conductor plate today and the connection plug to the gear box as well as the bushing that the plug goes into conductor plate ….before I even cranked the car to start the orange light was already lit and gearbox fault mode …could you please shed some light on this or walk me thru how to align the switch your talking about ? Please