XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Location of FCS13 wiring splice

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Location of FCS13 wiring splice

Hi there,
Has anyone located the position of the FCS13 wiring splice in a 1998 XJS V8 Sovereign? The circuit diagram shows that it comes from the body processor module pin 104. There are six wires connected from that point and all of them except the glovebox lamp have no connectivity back to BPM pin 104. I am having the previously reported problems of no trunk lights, random steering column movements when the indicators are on, etc. All the BPM fuses seem to be OK and there is good conduction to ground from the BPM case. There was one iffy-looking wire in the trunk harness which I have replaced. Hence I am coming to the conclusion that there may be a problem with the splice and I need to locate it to check. Any help welcome. Thanks. Butch

Old 07-02-2017, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

Can you follow the wire from the bpm to the glove box light? The electrical guide doesn't seem to give a specific location for that splice, aside from being in the fascia somewhere. Since the BPM and the glove box light are pretty close together, maybe you can follow it by taking out the glove box for a bit more access?

The following users liked this post:
Butch01 (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 04:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, for the reply, Nilanium. Yes, I had already removed the glovebox to see what I could trace. The main BPM harness is routed behind the fascia that the BPM is mounted to so not much finger room to feel for a possible break out point there. This BPM harness joins three other harnesses behind and near the top of the side panel alongside the passenger footwell in my RHD car. One of these goes down to a bulkhead connector and from this harness the glovebox connector cable splits out (with the remining wires continuing down to a couple of other connectors near the foot of the footwell. No evidence in any of those cables of some sort of splice connection (although I am presuming that will be a crimp/solder arrangement?) I am also not sure whether the five purple/white wires I am looking for run down the LH or the RH cabin harness. I have not yet removed the door sill plates to investigate the possibility of a splice under there because I have assumed at the moment that the splice must occur somewhere before the glovebox wiring (unless the splice is under the sill plates and the glove box wire is run back again into the fascia). I have to go away for a few days later this morning (UK time) so won't be able to get back to the issue until I return on Thursday. But I am very appreciative of your interest and help. Thanks again. Butch

Old 07-03-2017, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

Just taking a real quick look at those same-colored wires after the splice, a couple go to FC1 and at least one goes to FC5.

FC1 location: BELOW PASSENGER SIDE AIR VENT, GLOVE BOX ASSEMBLY
FC5: BELOW DR,“ER SIDE AIR VENT, COIN TRAY

both are 54-way thru-panel connectors.