XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Locked key in the Trunk :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked key in the Trunk :(

Hey all. I was stupid and long story short, I locked my fob and master key in my trunk. I luckily have my valet key so i can still drive my car. The trunk only opens with the key being manually inserted into the trunk lock and that key is located in the trunk. I have some very important items in my trunk that I need asap,so how do i get my trunk opened?

Its a XJ8 Vanden Plaza 1999

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Banned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you fold down the rear seat lean-back?

Old 02-05-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by BigCat3153
Can you fold down the rear seat lean-back?
the seats dont fold back.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Old 02-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 8,075 Likes on 4,870 Posts

Grind the tip of the VALET key a bit and it will fit the boot lid and cubby lock to open all the locks. The key will be ruined as a VALET key but you can get in the boot.

Here is the difference....

bob gauff

Attached Thumbnails Locked key in the Trunk :(-tibbe_keys.jpg  
Old 02-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

The boot should still open if you press the button on the dash board should it not? The Valet key only prevents you accessing the boot if the Valet button has been pressed on the dash board.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
The boot should still open if you press the button on the dash board should it not? The Valet key only prevents you accessing the boot if the Valet button has been pressed on the dash board.
no, the boot only opens with the normal key. the button on the dash board doesnt work or i accidnentally cut it off. idk which but i have been using the master key to open the trunk for a few months now.

and to grinding the valet key...i dont ever use valet to the point where i need a certain valet only key so i want to do that. how do I grind it down so it will fit?

Old 02-06-2012, 03:34 AM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a similar situation a while back... I didn't have the valet key, and I had groceries in the trunk... anyway, I got the key code from the jag dealer (had to pick it up, they don't give it over phone), and had a spare made at a local locksmith for 37€. It doesn't start the car as it doesn't have the chip in it, but it got the keys and my groceries out of the trunk. The official spare key from the dealer would've cost way over 200€, and as it was friday they estimated that they'd have it done by tuesday

Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi bigw909

Here is a weblink to the "master key locked in trunk" thread, look at posts # 18 through #26:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...w-fixed-58948/

Trunk (boot) lid was opened by going through access holes on the trunk that are under license plate or alternately next to license plate.

Since you have less than 10 posts, you will not be able to open the file attachments while you are logged into the forum.

Logout when you want to open a file attachment (guests are able to open file attachments). After you are finished with viewing the attachments, log back into the forum.

Jim Lombardi

The following 2 users liked this post by jimlombardi:
bigbore52 (01-12-2013), JKo (02-06-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 08:24 AM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Wish I had known that trick...

The euro spec X308 has different license plate holes (and differently shaped boot lid too), maybe that's why the local dealer mentioned something about drilling a hole next to the license plate as one alternative.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi JKo
You were right. The boot (trunk) Lid for the X308 that has long number Plate (part# AXX1662) apparently does not have the access holes that are in the US trunk lid (XJ series).

I found this tread on the Jaguar Forum.co.uk that gives instructions on where to drill a hole in the X308 boot lid.

I copied the text into this posting:

winchweight wrote:Mate try this website, as there's more XJ expertse there. Speak to a bloke called SKJAGTECH (Steve), he's very helpful.

Winchweight, your recommendation was worth it's weight (haha) in Gold. Steve sorted me right out, and sent me pictures of the rear lock and thus an indication of where to drill (eek!) behind the number plate to get me in.
I have now managed to open my boot and get my keys. Here is a description of how to do this on an X308 (mine is a '98 XJ V8 3.2, should be the same for all V8 XJs up to the aluminium bodied ones).

Basically, you need to drill a 1/4 inch hole in the area usually covered by the number plate. I did mine approx 4 inches above the lip of the boot, half an inch to the left of the centre line. Then, insert a long thin screwdriver (at least 5 inches) and lever the interior gently to the right when you meet resistance. This *should* pop the boot, but don't force it.
I am finally in, and have my keys. The hole can be re-sealed, but I appeal to all XJ owners to a: not leave their only keys in the boot and select Valet mode for some reason, and b: make sure that your keys actually work in the boot lock.

Had I known this before, I would not have had this nightmare problem! All credit to Steve at this site for his effort in helping me and providing this info. Seriously, all XJ owners (or jags with equivalent systems) should get the WD40 out NOW and check their boot lock actually... you know... works.

Don't rely on that fob all the time like I did.

Thanks again winchweight, wireless for first suggesting the number plate hole, and particularly Steve.

bigw909, this removal of the numbers plate and drilling a small hole in the boot lid seems to be the best method to retrieve your keys. I know that the access holes in our 2001 XJ8 are covered with some kind of tape (to keep out any water or moisture) on the inside of the trunk.

Here is another sugguestion - using a booster battery connected to power wiring in the front bonnet locations to pop open the boot (trunk) - Unable to open boot to get to disconnected battery 15.09.2009 at 15:48:26 on Jaguar Monthly World Forum -

http://www.kelsey-forums.co.uk/cgi-b...num=1253026107

I have an interesting (well, for me) problem this afternoon! The battery on my 2002 XJ8 is disconnected with a view to resetting a Check Engine warning and the physical boot is now closed and the key lock refuses to budge with either WD40 or 3in1 Penetration.

My wife's with the car and a charger looking for a mythical "live point" so we can power up the car as the boot is locked with the battery disconnected. Is it the large wire connecting to the fuse box on the left of the engine bay?

My wife says, "I looked on the passenger side of the engine bay and the fuse boxes are there and under a piece of rubber was a thick wire that is bolt with a thick cable but i don't know if i use that if that might blow all the fuses. It looks like it is connected to the fuse box"

Jaguar say there's "no such place" and that we must drill a hole behind the plate (!). Any idea where? (This is a UK model so there's no 'emergency pull' in the boot / trunk

Thank you so much!, Richard London

Posted Reply to Richard London:

there are two ' live ' posts in the engine bay ,
one is where your wife found it between those two small fuse boxs , the other is mounted on the drivers side bulkhead sound deadening just in front of the brake fuid reservoir, this is also covered in a rubberised shroud to prevent shorting ,

you can put a ' croc ' clip on there and then onto the live of a spare battery , then the negative of the battery to a suitable metal part in the engine bay that isnt painted

this should give you energy to press the boot release button in the car to pop the boot open

alternatively, you an get one of those battery saver devices that plug into the cigar lighter, and power the car that way , same principle

even if you blow a few fuses ( i seriously doubt it though ) , they are easy to replace and at least your not drilling the car........
Reply from Brake-buster

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 02-07-2012 at 06:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cadillac (02-07-2012)