XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Locked my keys in the trunk - UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 10:16 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Locked my keys in the trunk - UPDATE

Okay so my nightmare with the '99 VDP continues. Last night I locked my master key in the trunk. Have a valet key somewhere but no idea where it might be. This morning I was able to get into the cabin with 2 slim jims and an air pump, opened the driver's door handle and accessed the cabin. The alarm luckily timed itself out but I yanked the horn relay and cut the alarm power wire just in case, so as not to disturb my neighbours.

Now, I'm still trying to figure out how to access the trunk. I'm trying to find wiring diagrams for the trunk release switch (which is now inoperative because of the alarm going off) and hot wiring it in order to pop the trunk.

HOWEVER, even if I get the trunk open and get my keys out, I'm worried that the car will still think it's in lockdown mode and will refuse to start even with the master key. Then I imagine that will involve having it towed to the dealer and having them scan the car to tell it that it's not being stolen, and off I go again. Am I following along correctly here?

PS - If anyone has a wiring diagram of the trunk release switch for a '99 VDP or can link me to the appropriate PDF, it would be greatly appreciated.

PPS - The XJR-100 is still for sale and running like a dream!

Old 08-18-2016, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hade similar problem- car was in valet mode. Take off the number plate. Under that is two holes. You must move the lock to right side and boot will be open.Then You get your key.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by peeterak
I hade similar problem- car was in valet mode. Take off the number plate. Under that is two holes. You must move the lock to right side and boot will be open.Then You get your key.
The only holes behind my license plate are for the license plate mounting screws. I tried sticking a screwdriver into them and feeling around for the lock rod but no luck. I did have luck with this technique on an older XJ though. Back to the drawing board for now.

Anyone know if this thing will still be in lockdown mode when I go to start it back up again?

Last edited by KidRock'n; 08-18-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:53 PM

This link saved me:

X300 Emergency boot (trunk) access ~ Jaguar Vanden Plas "The cats meow"

Drilled a hole, stuck a screwdriver in, popped the trunk and got the keys out. She fired right up after disarming with the key fob. Mission accomplished. Back on the road for another day.

The following users liked this post:
Johnny_B (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 11:59 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad to hear it Now for my suggestion.. Your first stop should be to a Jag dealer to get a spare key made