XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Locks etc?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014 | 11:58 AM
|
Thumbs down Locks etc?

One thing that is strange on this car is the locking system.

I've noticed that when I shut the car off and remove the key that the doors are still locked.

At times, I can't even unlock them with the key fab. So, I have to put the key back in and push the button on the panel... that gets pretty annoying.

Any ideas what may be happening?

OH! And my drivers mirror is all over the place... I have set it to memory and when I unlock the car it starts moving all over the place and ends up in a position that isn't even close to where it needs to be.

Wondering if something is up with the electrical in this vehicle.

Old 03-19-2014 | 12:10 PM
GGG

If the seat/mirror memory is not functioning properly, a 'hard reset' clears the memory and allows you set the positions up from scratch again.

Weirs electrical behaviour in these vehicles is often a sign of a failing battery.

Graham

Old 03-19-2014 | 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by shanefrazier
One thing that is strange on this car is the locking system.

I've noticed that when I shut the car off and remove the key that the doors are still locked.

At times, I can't even unlock them with the key fab. So, I have to put the key back in and push the button on the panel... that gets pretty annoying.

Any ideas what may be happening?
Isn't this normal? Just open the door. When you pull on the handle it should unlock automatically
Originally Posted by shanefrazier
OH! And my drivers mirror is all over the place... I have set it to memory and when I unlock the car it starts moving all over the place and ends up in a position that isn't even close to where it needs to be.

Wondering if something is up with the electrical in this vehicle.
Have you tried setting the memory to 1, 2 and 3? It might be that you've actually set it to 1, ,but your key is 2, and it's resetting back to the 2 setting each time?

The following 2 users liked this post by grandell:
motorcarman (03-19-2014), shanefrazier (05-13-2014)
Old 05-26-2014 | 08:11 AM

I am also noticing the door lock problem with my 2001 XJ8 on the drivers side. Yesterday I got to ride in the passenger seat and open exiting I notice that when you pull on the inside door handle the micro switch in the door lock tells the lock to unlock. So from what I can tell that the micro switch on my drivers side door must not be working. Can anyone else collaborate as such I just purchased this car with a multitude of problems and I want to correct all of them.

Old 10-04-2014 | 12:16 AM
Default Door locks

Originally Posted by lilfreddie
I am also noticing the door lock problem with my 2001 XJ8 on the drivers side. Yesterday I got to ride in the passenger seat and open exiting I notice that when you pull on the inside door handle the micro switch in the door lock tells the lock to unlock. So from what I can tell that the micro switch on my drivers side door must not be working. Can anyone else collaborate as such I just purchased this car with a multitude of problems and I want to correct all of them.
I figured out my problem I removed the door latch assemblies from the front doors and took them apart sprayed brake cleaner blew them out with air, and greased them with axle grease. They work like brand new!

The following users liked this post:
bigcat777 (10-04-2014)