XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Look what came in the mail today...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Newby
Hi again,

What is the part number for the gates belt, and how did you modify the existing tensioner?
Notching is pretty easy but I have since changed again and just installed a 40% stronger spring I can order you one their fairly cheap and I will check and find the gates belt number when I get a chance

The following users liked this post:
Newby (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
Notching is pretty easy but I have since changed again and just installed a 40% stronger spring I can order you one their fairly cheap and I will check and find the gates belt number when I get a chance
Wonderful,

Thank you very very much!

Last edited by Newby; 10-24-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

The stock spring/size of the belt is good enough, am also using it in my car, and I have never seen/heard off any issues with this setup. I don't think that Jaguars engineers would intentionally have the belt slip so it would drop the pressure from 14 to 11.6 psi.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by avos
The stock spring/size of the belt is good enough, am also using it in my car, and I have never seen/heard off any issues with this setup. I don't think that Jaguars engineers would intentionally have the belt slip so it would drop the pressure from 14 to 11.6 psi.
Just my 2 cents.

Well maybe not when it comes to the twin screw but the stock jag belt is one of the biggest POS belts ever made. I have gone through 6 of them they come apart and slip and all within a few weeks. So as to the stock belt I dont know if you get a better one over there but for me ill nvr use one again. As to the stock tensioner spring no I dont think jag would intentionally do it just like they wouldnt intentionally leave 40+ safe horsepower in the computer but they do. Whos to say why they chose to do or use what they do but I can tell you for a fact after changing to the bettwre tensioner spring and a gates belt the car responded quicker, accelerated faster, held boost longer indicating that the belt was slipping. If you look at any stock Sc car the frt snout is covered in belt dust THE BIGGEST indicater of belt slip.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
Well maybe not when it comes to the twin screw but the stock jag belt is one of the biggest POS belts ever made. I have gone through 6 of them they come apart and slip and all within a few weeks. So as to the stock belt I dont know if you get a better one over there but for me ill nvr use one again. As to the stock tensioner spring no I dont think jag would intentionally do it just like they wouldnt intentionally leave 40+ safe horsepower in the computer but they do. Whos to say why they chose to do or use what they do but I can tell you for a fact after changing to the bettwre tensioner spring and a gates belt the car responded quicker, accelerated faster, held boost longer indicating that the belt was slipping. If you look at any stock Sc car the frt snout is covered in belt dust THE BIGGEST indicater of belt slip.
Engine management is a completely different thing, you should know they have been programmed with more requirements then just pure performance, where engine longevity and emissions play an important part as well.

Coming back to the belt system, I said “The stock spring/size of the belt is good enough”, can’t tell that much about the stock belt itself as I only use belts from Gates.

You will always get some belt dust over time as they wear, which is why Jaguar has an indicator on the tensioner which you need to check regularly until the belt has reached 60Kmiles iirc where you have to change it anyhow.

Adding more tension could cause all sorts of adverse effects, so imho keep the stock tensioner spring and the belt size as it was designed for.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by avos
Engine management is a completely different thing, you should know they have been programmed with more requirements then just pure performance, where engine longevity and emissions play an important part as well.

Coming back to the belt system, I said “The stock spring/size of the belt is good enough”, can’t tell that much about the stock belt itself as I only use belts from Gates.

You will always get some belt dust over time as they wear, which is why Jaguar has an indicator on the tensioner which you need to check regularly until the belt has reached 60Kmiles iirc where you have to change it anyhow.

Adding more tension could cause all sorts of adverse effects, so imho keep the stock tensioner spring and the belt size as it was designed for.

Oh I know they have many things to worry about when doing the engine management systems hence the laughing i was just saying i have noticed that since wking with my buddy on the tune we have not only increased power torque and done it all safely but my mileage only suffers when flooring which makes sense. So i guess Id love to see one car company go ***** out but with warrentees and such never gunna happen wishful thinking LOL.

See you use gates belts as I do the belts from jag at least here in the states are not made by gates and i had to take one back to jag 4 ties for it seperating and falling apart. My 95 was the worst but same with the new 99 maybe it was a bad batch whio knows. This was on the stock spring, since switching to the gates belt and new spring I have no belt dust and it holds beautiful. The cobra guys have been doing spring upgrades and better belt wrap for some time and helps their cars immensly. I think these cars could do with some better belt wrap such as this Reichard Racing but hey not the expert just working on ideas that may help