XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Looking to buy a 1998-03 XJR, need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 04:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking to buy a 1998-03 XJR, need some advise

Hi I've been looking to buy a 1998-03 XJR for years now but need help on reliability & what needs to be fixed or changed mechanically threw the years.

From what I've read with 98-99 XJR's the engine will eventually lose compression due to the pistons being coated with Nikasil. Does the engine need to be replaced with a mid 2000-03 engine or can it be rebuilt with parts and no machining? If no machining is required what are all the parts that need replacing and does everything that needs to be changed on a mid 2000-03 need to be changed also? A older post link or part numbers will be much appreciated.

With out the first questions being answered I know the mid 00-03 don't have the Nikasil Issue, have the nicer factory asteroid wheels in my opinion, have a better 320-watt Alpine stereo, standard traction control now modulated throttle and brakes, instead of merely varying the throttle to maintain grip, 01-03 heated rear seats, but I've read the following mechanically

1:Timing Chains need to be replaced (Are there three of them because the suggestion is for the upper 2?) (00-02),

2:Water pump needs to be replaced with the final revision.

3:Throttle Body needs replacing

What else needs replacing or attention and again a older post link or part numbers will be much appreciated?

I have car auction access threw work, which has had some 98-00 XJR's go from $800-$1,800 over the years but all had mechanical problems with no mention on whats wrong with them and non of them ran.

I also know a pretty knowledgeable mechanic that can tear anything down and rebuild it as long as he knows what needs changing or any specific tips or tricks on the vehicle for rebuilding.

I mention the above because I'm looking to have a completed XJR with all the issues fixed for $3,500-$5,000 with the max being a mid 2000+.

What is the best way to go on purchasing a XJR?

Last edited by XJR23; 05-05-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:21 AM

I also just found the 4.2L swap but it looks like somethings need to be customized which I don't think my mechanic can do.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:10 AM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Search will give answers to most of your questions... but here's a short recap:

- Nikasil is no longer an issue. If the engine is running fine now, it'll continue to do so.
- Timing chain tensioners should be changed to metal items on 98-01 cars. Atleast the uppers, preferably all.
- Water pump should be changed atleast on 98-99 cars, perhaps some early 00 cars too. Depends on VIN: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...0am%5B1%5D-pdf
- Not sure about the throttle body... IIRC the problem is present in 98-99 cars only.

Even shorter recap: buy an 02-03 XJR to avoid most problems.

Happy hunting, and also check the sticky threads.

The following users liked this post:
XJR23 (05-05-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 08:09 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,117 Likes on 786 Posts

I had the 98 XJR... upgraded to the 2004 XJR, and have never regretted it.
Dependability, performance, and 'the right looks'.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Default To JKo & guy

- Nikasil is no longer an issue. If the engine is running fine now, it'll continue to do so.
I've read other wise on that, with people still having failure with Jaguars & BMW's to this day. Some people are saying it's no longer an issue because of less sulphur content in gasoline but is there any proof to this?

I had the 98 XJR... upgraded to the 2004 XJR, and have never regretted it.
Dependability, performance, and 'the right looks'.
I like the lines, shape and everything on the 1998-2003 and the only newer one I like is the 2008 with newer front fascia and I can't afford one. I have always wanted the older body but reading some posts, I could have a 4.2L of a 04+.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

With that price point you are going to have to make some compromises.

Lots of the early engines are around and working -- what you don't know is what they went through --- In additional to the tensioners the early cars have a few items that can cause overheating - not good for the Jag AL motor.

The early R's have a bearing in the trans that can fail.

You may get lucky and find a owner with a great example ......with a failed engine or transmission who does not want to put the money into fixing it ... that is the only way I can see you getting anything close to the price you want -- and then you have to fix it. And this type of car is always worth less than an unmolested one.

It all depends on what you what to end up with -- the cheapest way is always to buy the car in the condition you want -- especially if you want one that is excellent cosmetically.

XJR23 (05-05-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Default To yeldogt

I totally understand what your saying and I would love to buy a 02-03 with nothing to do to it, with around 65k-90k but I would be looking at $7,500 & up and I don't have that. I've put off buying one every year and the prices have dropped but summers are short around me and I can't drive it in the winter so I don't want to wait or put it off.

Again with having auction access or someone trying to sell a project XJR and a mechanic that won't charge me too much, I would like to get one that's clean cosmetically with mechanical problems and I'm guessing I will be at my price point depending on parts needed.

I'd would almost say all the XJR's that have had mechanical problems at the auction were pretty clean especially if they had black leather. I never jumped on one because re-manufactured engines were $4,000 and up and again I could get a 02-03 for $7,500 so it wasn't worth it, but if I could have my mechanic who I met a year ago rebuild it then I think I'll be there.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Look in the classifieds here. Someone was going to part out a running XJR because they got tired of it. You might be able to just drive it home.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:50 AM

Ok I found a 2002 with 120,000 miles that says it doesn't run and it needs a timing chain.

When a timing chain goes bad or breaks doesn't it damage the engine, rods etc and would that be the case with this vehicle or is it different because of the multiple chains?

Also still some things not answered

I know there's a debate between Nikasil being an issue or not and early engines still running, but can I put any of the mid 2000-03 jaguar 4.0 supercharged engines in a 98-99 with out modifications?

Can a Nikasil engine be rebuilt with out machining and eliminating it?

Besides whats stated engine wise and the other options I list is there a big difference in drive-ability and feel between the 98-99 vs the mid 00-03?

Would you do the 4.2L route if you were to redo the engine?

I know there's a search here also and believe me I've read a lot of posts on here and threw the years. I just want to have some specifics answered and I apologies if I'm annoying anyone, just want to get all the facts before I get into a project and so I can hunt parts and engines down if that's the case to see pricing.

Last edited by XJR23; 05-06-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

It depends on what exactly happened: Some have reported having only a couple damaged valves -- requiring chains and the head on that side being rebuilt. While others report piston damage -- obviously very serious and I would thing not practical to fix on a 120k motor.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If I were set on an XJR, I'd only consider 2002-2003. Not because of Nikasil, but because the last two model years were the only ones in the US to be delivered with CATS.

The earlier XJRs with conventional suspensions ride like trucks. Be sure and drive an early model to see if the ride is acceptable to you.

XJR23 (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Default To yeldogt & DavidB

It depends on what exactly happened: Some have reported having only a couple damaged valves -- requiring chains and the head on that side being rebuilt. While others report piston damage -- obviously very serious and I would thing not practical to fix on a 120k motor.
Thanks for the info yeldogt and I don't like the color so I guess I'm going to pass.

To DavidB
If I were set on an XJR, I'd only consider 2002-2003. Not because of Nikasil, but because the last two model years were the only ones in the US to be delivered with CATS.
So they didn't come with catalytic converters? I've never heard of modern cars especially luxury sedans that didn't come with them factory, that's crazy.

The earlier XJRs with conventional suspensions ride like trucks. Be sure and drive an early model to see if the ride is acceptable to you.
This might be a game changer, what was the first year with the better suspension?

Old 05-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR23

To DavidB
So they didn't come with catalytic converters? I've never heard of modern cars especially luxury sedans that didn't come with them factory, that's crazy.

This might be a game changer, what was the first year with the better suspension?
No, CATS is the Jaguar name for computer-controlled shocks. Not catalytic converters--every car has those.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:00 PM

No, CATS is the Jaguar name for computer-controlled shocks. Not catalytic converters--every car has those.
Ok good to know, so I guess 02-03 is the only way to go because the car will handle and feel better then the 98-01's that handle like trucks and I wouldn't want that feel for a sports sedan. I guess I need to save more money and wait then.

Man so many problems and design flaws for such a beautiful sedan you'd think they'd get it right after the first year and with this platform being out so long.

It's like a Cadillac with a Northstar engine, it was first out in 1994 and they didn't fix the headgasket issues (which could start at 70k) till 2004, 10 years later. Any other 3800 engine GM vehicle will outlast it for half the price when it was new.Also the air ride suspensions go bad and there's no affordable aftermarket solution that will give the car the same ride, so you need to buy factory shocks that cost $800+ a piece. But when they have no problems I feel there the best driving American car made, there just awesome.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 1,069 Posts

@XJR23 - Are you taking comments too literally, a $70,000 English super saloon doesn't handle like a truck! if it did, there's something wrong.

You've made yourself aware of the issues with earlier cars, in particular Nikasil, no they cannot be fixed, it's a replacement engine, but as answered, if ok now it'll stay ok.

You may find a good car, not project for your money - keep looking AND saving AND researching. Don't buy one that needs an engine, yes you have an engineer, but bills will spiral, an engine gasket set will make your eyes water (I only use OEM parts for good reason, and they're not cheap)

You might have uncloaked too early in the game....factor in the running costs, servicing, insurance etc.

XJR23 (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 02:58 PM

@XJR23 - Are you taking comments too literally, a $70,000 English super saloon doesn't handle like a truck! if it did, there's something wrong.
Not literally but I get his point. Your saying they drive better then what he's saying prior to 02 and whats the difference if you've driven with and with out CATS? Seeing your in the UK did they have the computer-controlled shocks prior to 02 on the XJR's?

You've made yourself aware of the issues with earlier cars, in particular Nikasil, no they cannot be fixed, it's a replacement engine, but as answered, if ok now it'll stay ok.
So would you replace the engine with a mid 00-03 by just dropping it in with no modification besides maintenance? What is considered ok with Nikasil, is that only determined by a compression test and if I just driving the vehicle and go over it are there signs,or do they not even turn over anymore, just so I know if I test drive one?

What is the cost US for a engine gasket set?

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by XJR23; 05-05-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

A "cheap" XJR is going to wind up being very expensive! I would say that would indicate that the previous owner(s) did not take very good care of it.

And if you told me to my face that my 01 XJR rides like a truck, I would have to b*tch slap you! It actually rides very well.

I did not buy a CATS 02-03 because the electronic shocks are very expensive to replace and IMHO just another thing to go wrong with an already complex car.

I looked for 3 years to find my XJR. I wanted one that was well taken care of, and when I found mine, I paid top dollar for it. It has been a pleasure.

The previous owner had done maintenance better than by the book, replaced the headliner (don't forget that!), brand new tires and alignment, like new paint and interior.

Save your money and buy a car that has been care for, just my .02.

Vector

Last edited by Vector; 05-05-2012 at 09:58 PM.
XJR23 (05-05-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Default To Vector

A "cheap" XJR is going to wind up being very expensive! I would say that would indicate that the previous owner(s) did not take very good care of it.
Yeah buying the right vehicle that was well taken care of, and also buying the year with the least amount of problems is what I usually do but I've also gotten into projects and seeing these go for $800-$1,500 over the years, having a few resources and money being tight right now I figured to go the project route. I'm just going to countune to play the waiting game till it's the right situation.

I did not buy a CATS 02-03 because the electronic shocks are very expensive to replace and IMHO just another thing to go wrong with an already complex car.
This is like my Cadillac explanation, but if you were to change the air bag computer controlled suspension on a Cadillac to coil overs, it doesn't handle very well anymore and you lose that smooth Cadillac drive, its like night & day and driving a totally different vehicle. I wonder if it's that extreme with the XJR's, is it like driving a totally different vehicle? I guess the only way I could get the feel is if I test drive both. I've always wanted an XJR but I've never driven one, I just figure I'll love it.

Last edited by XJR23; 05-06-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR23
This is like my Cadillac explanation, but if you were to change the air bag computer controlled suspension on a Cadillac to coil overs, it doesn't handle very well anymore and you lose that smooth Cadillac drive, its like night & day and driving a totally different vehicle. I wonder if it's that extreme with the XJR's, is it like driving a totally different vehicle? I guess the only way I could get the feel is if I test drive both. I've always wanted an XJR but I've never driven one, I just figure I'll love it.
Since the XJR up to 03 did not have air bags, only computer controlled shocks, it will probably not make much of a difference to replace the CATS shocks with non, but I don't know about curing the codes that the ride control system will throw. I'm sure someone has figured out how to do it.

FWIW, I changed the air bag suspension on a Lincoln for coils and couldn't tell any difference in ride, but that was a Lincoln, not really known for their stellar handling, lol! But it was great having the peace of mind knowing that I was not going to come out one morning and see the front or rear of the car on the ground.

One reason I stayed away from the 04+ XJR's was my bad experience with air suspension on that Lincoln. Also, I think they ruined the styling with the 04+ models.

All I really had to do to my 01 was change the secondary timing chain tensioners, change some fluids and fix the sub woofer, cost me about $300 DIY, since the previous owner had taken care of everything else.
Vector

Old 05-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Default To Vector

FWIW, I changed the air bag suspension on a Lincoln for coils and couldn't tell any difference in ride, but that was a Lincoln, not really known for their stellar handling, lol! But it was great having the peace of mind knowing that I was not going to come out one morning and see the front or rear of the car on the ground.
Yeah I had a pristine low mileage 1998 Mark VIII LSC a few years back and didn't need to do anything to it. It was a nice summer car but the worst winter car I've ever driven.

I think they ruined the styling with the 04+ models.
Agree, it's all about personal preference but I feel it looks kinda cheap and generic. I have sat in the new XJ8 and they've gone a whole different route but I do like it's futuristic design especially the LCD gauge for the speedometer.

All I really had to do to my 01 was change the secondary timing chain tensioners, change some fluids and fix the sub woofer, cost me about $300 DIY, since the previous owner had taken care of everything else.
I see, but not knowing what the previous owner had done and buying let's say an 01 with 90k, since I was in there already I would also change the chains also right? I'm assuming the previous owner did that without knowing about the tensioners.

Last edited by XJR23; 05-06-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 1998-03 XJR, need some advise