XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Looking to buy a 2000 Jaguar XJR

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
As said, always good to look at some before deciding, you always learn.

Seems you found an honest seller, not many will tell the tensioners were not changed.
To answer your question: Yes, those plastic tensioners could be a time bomb, and NEED to be changed.
If you cant do it yourself, I think (but other correct me here) it will cost you a couple of hundred if you only let the uppers be done, I guess 1000-1500 if you do all 4 (which is advised).

On the hoses, we still talk about 15 year old cars, and things like plastic and rubber deteriorate, that counts for every car, not only Jaguars.
The particular valley hoses are hidden within both cylinder banks, and under the S/C, so they get a lot of heat.
Identical to the tensioners, if they burst, it can mean a fatal event, so replacement of the hoses is advised as a prevention.

Finally, also mentioned before, these cars might be cheap in the market, but still will cost a decent amount of money to maintain, specially if you can't do work yourself.
Compared to cars like Benz and BMW, parts are relative cheap, finding a good mechanic probably a bit more difficult.
Dang well thats a bummer. Those tensioners are expensive fix. How could I check to make sure these things are still good if I go take a look at this car?

Old 11-02-2017, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by maxdan96
Dang well thats a bummer. Those tensioners are expensive fix. How could I check to make sure these things are still good if I go take a look at this car?
Not easy, try asking for service history.
I always forget the dates of change from generation one to generation two to generation three, but I think a US 2001 is not having the 3rd generation.
To check, you need to open one of the covers, don't think any seller will allow that.