XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Looking to buy a '99 Xj8 but it has "restricted Performance"

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009 | 11:15 AM
|
Default Looking to buy a '99 Xj8 but it has "restricted Performance"

First time poster BUT long time Jag lover....

I am looking at buying a 1999 Xj8 for my wife.

The Car:
1999 Xj8
95,000 miles

I have NOT went and looked or drove it yet. The lady that owns the car "said" she has never had a problem with it and is the 2nd owner (bought from a friend).

I asked about the belt and she had no idea if it has been changed or not.

The BIG thing that worries me is this:
She says the only issue with the car is sometimes when she puts gas in it a "Restricted Performance" light comes on. She said that the local shop have checked it out and have not been able to find anything wrong.

I know Jags can have GREAT upkeep but I am willing to pay the price. I just wanna make sure I do not buy one that needs a engine replacement right away HAHA

Also teh price seems GREAT. This is her 2nd car and she has just went through cancer treatments and needs to sell for medical bills.

She is only asking $5,500 which seems like a steal to me?

Any tips or info would be GREAT!!!!!

I have searched many many many threads about the "Restricted Performance" but I can not recall anyone saying it only happens after they put gas in it? Maybe she has been putting low octane in it? When it needs the higher stuff?

Again thanks for the help

Old 12-30-2009 | 11:43 AM
Veteran member

could be any number of things, and you won't know for sure until you at least get the codes pulled from the computer. If you're really interested, pay the dealer an 'evaluation fee' to take a look at the car and inspect everythign, including checking the codes stored. You'll know MUCH more than you do now. Or, roll the dice and take a chance.

Old 12-30-2009 | 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Check the status of the timing chain and tensioners as well. If this has not been done, you want to get on it straight away. This job ($2k+) could effect your buying price.

Old 12-30-2009 | 01:08 PM
|

Just contacted the Shop that has always serviced the car. The guy told me the car has only had one problem(with the 1st owner) and instead of paying to get it fixed the owner decided to buy a new engine for it.

The Shop guy was not 100% sure if the Belt and the tensions have been replaced and actually said he did not know if there is a way to check?

The car has 95k miles on it BUT the new engine has A LOT less(not sure exactly).

The new owner has only had a problem with a "Low Coolant" light and of course the "restricted Performance" Light that comes on once in awhile(but does not stay on very long).

SO more questions would be:

1) Is there a way to see if the Belt and Tensions have been replaced? I would think by looking at them, but the shop guy acted like there is REALLY no way to know for sure unless you have paper work of it being done.

2) Should I be worried about an engine replacement? I guess its good that it has a newer engine BUT maybe that means the car has other issues that might damage the new engine again and just end up replacing it?

3) He is NOT a Jaguar dealer and he told me that only Jag dealers have access to ALL the computer programs to FULLY service teh car, but that besides the "Restricted Performance" light that comes one once in awhile there has never been anything that needed THOSE SPECIAL Jag dealership computer programs.

Old 12-30-2009 | 01:20 PM
|

Also,

How do I tell if the new engine that replaced the original is a "Nikasil" engine or not?

Old 12-30-2009 | 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

The Nikasil is not that big of an issue. You can tell about the upper timing chain tensioners by pulling the cam covers. You will see either metal bodied tensioners or plastic ones.

Old 12-30-2009 | 02:36 PM
|

Originally Posted by ken@britishparts.com
The Nikasil is not that big of an issue. You can tell about the upper timing chain tensioners by pulling the cam covers. You will see either metal bodied tensioners or plastic ones.
Thanks for the info.

Do I want the Metal or Plastic?

Old 12-30-2009 | 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

You want metal. The plastic body splits or completely breaks and allows the timing to slip. Then you've got a catastrophic problem. Valves kiss pistons. It can crater the engine.

Old 12-30-2009 | 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

It sounds like you might have a great find on your hands considering new engine and asking price. As Ken pointed out, the value of the car will be influenced by at least a thousand, maybe more, based on the status of the tensioners.

If you are serious, I would invest a couple hundred to have a Jaguar dealer check it completely out, including pulling a valve cover if the engine serial number or documentation cannot verify the status of the tensioners. The dealer can also pull a report on all warranty repairs that will give you a good picture of the car's first 50k miles.

If the '99 engine was changed out late '01 or later you might be in great shape. Low coolant and restricted performance can be relatively minor issues.

Old 12-30-2009 | 07:12 PM
|

Is it possible for me to check it myself when I test drive it? I'm guessing you gotta get your hands dirty to check if its plastic or metal huh?

Also,
Is there anything I should watch/listen for when I test drive the beast haha?

Old 12-30-2009 | 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

Probably not.

The tensioners fail catastrophically, potentially taking out the engine with it. Sorry to be such a poo-poo but this is a 'gotta fix' issue with that vintage car.

I would still recommend a professional inspection to make you feel safe. Make the decision that you chose to buy the car assuming a good inspection report then have in inspected. Then make an offer.

I would read the post here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=24282

and here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ghlight=sticky

Could be a great buy if you do your homework.

Old 12-31-2009 | 12:14 AM

For me, I would not buy a Jaguar without the original engine. First off, the value will be MUCH less in the future. Also, to me, and this might sound strange, but if I were to change the engine in my car, it feels to me like I am no longer driving the car that I was before. I would rather spend a few thousand fixing my old one, than getting a new one for less. To me, thats like replacing my girlfriends brain. Yes, she will look the same, but she will not be the same person. Hope you dont see me as crazy! lol. But that is very cheap. Idk, personally, that would be an automatic NO

Old 12-31-2009 | 09:22 AM
|

Originally Posted by 2004x-type
For me, I would not buy a Jaguar without the original engine. First off, the value will be MUCH less in the future. Also, to me, and this might sound strange, but if I were to change the engine in my car, it feels to me like I am no longer driving the car that I was before. I would rather spend a few thousand fixing my old one, than getting a new one for less. To me, thats like replacing my girlfriends brain. Yes, she will look the same, but she will not be the same person. Hope you dont see me as crazy! lol. But that is very cheap. Idk, personally, that would be an automatic NO
You would say NO because it seems to cheap to be true? Like if its that cheap there must be something wrong with it?

I agree about the engine part, BUT everything would be NEW to me and it is not me that has to change the engine HAHA it has already been done.

Old 12-31-2009 | 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2004x-type
Now, my wife has new *****, and I have to say, it's a nice upgrade. She doesn't look the same, but she's the same person... hehe

I kinda felt the price was a Little on the High side. But if it's immaculate, it's a good buy.

Although, I'm finding 75k mile XJ8's around here on Craigslist for $4400... They appear clean from the ads (I know, that's not a good representation). One even says to take it for the day to your mechanic before purchasing, new tires, brakes, smog, etc...

I know I got a good deal on my car, '99 XJR with 115k $4500 and Immaculate, but I see deals like this occasionally.

Last edited by SuperSport; 12-31-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-02-2010 | 04:18 PM

No, not that its too cheap to be true, because its not too cheap. It does not have its original engine. Im saying I would say no, because of a few things, future value will never be high without the origional parts, especialy the engine. @supersport Haha nice comment about your girlfriend :b But yah, its good you dont have to buy the engine and replace it yourself! But I think it would be a better investment to buy an XJ with everything origional. And personally, it wouldnt feel right, but thats just me. I dont think its a bad buy, but there are other nice ones for not much more with everything original.

Old 01-11-2010 | 03:14 AM

if you in so cal i can help you out ,you can identify the engine by its serial number if its a jag reman the rear of the cylinder heads have blue temp strip for warranty use,also the serial number is stamped on a plate and glued onto the block over the original numbers

the serial number is located and the rear of the block next to the tranny bell housing almost bellow the throttle

hope that helps