XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Looking to buy a used XJR

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a used XJR

Hello all! I am looking to buy a 98-01 higher millage (70-100K) XJR. I am trying to become more familiar with these cars so I know what to watch out for in a used one. I have been reading through this amazing forum and have come across a few things like transmission and cylinder liner problems. Any used XJR buying advice would be very much apprecaited!

Thanks,
Graham

Old 05-20-2011, 01:16 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought mine last winter. My first point would be to scour this forum for everything you can find. Look at the stickies in both this section and the XK8/XKR section. Then be patient with your search. Depending on your budget, you may very well be able to find one that is much lower mileage than you have indicated here. Mine had 39K miles, and I was expecting to find one closer to the 60 to 70K range. Also, as many have done on this forum, look nationally and be willing to fly to your destination and drive it home. You can get a great car that way as there were only a couple thousand of these made each year so they are very rare compared to your average american luxury car. I found mine a couple hundred miles away, so it was an easy Saturday drive to view it then bring it home.

You are going to find lots of information on the faults of the AJ26 engine and the improvements of the AJ27 so you will have to weigh what you can tolerate. I decided that the issues with the early models were fine with me, so I was willing to look at the older models which were a better value for that very reason. Also, the vehicle history showed that everything was done except for the tensioners, and I could handle that job, so I was willing to accept the risk and cost. In the end, you simply need to decide which years you are willing to accept and narrow your search based upon the criteria. I found mine on a very bad craigslist ad that didn't even have pictures. I read the ad several times before I decided that the seller was actually the right kind of individual that would be representing a great vechicle yet just couldn't market it well. This limited the number of people that would look at it, which gave me time to work the deal before I ever went to look at it.

Good luck with your search.

BTW, it is customary to introduce yourself in the new members section, and I'm sure a mod will jump in to encourage it as well.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Nidlife-
Higher mileage XJR means well more than 150,000 niles!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LotusGuy
Hello all! I am looking to buy a 98-01 higher millage (70-100K) XJR. I am trying to become more familiar with these cars so I know what to watch out for in a used one. I have been reading through this amazing forum and have come across a few things like transmission and cylinder liner problems. Any used XJR buying advice would be very much apprecaited!

Thanks,
Graham
I agree about really looking all over the forum to find out all the info you can. I would also look for a car that has lots of records and receipts so you can see the maintaince history of the car. I have a 2001 XJR with 68,000 miles on her that I will be selling this summer. She is Black with oatmeal interior and in great shape. I am located in Minneapolis. PM me if you have any interest.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Nidlife-
Higher mileage XJR means well more than 150,000 niles!
184,000 on mine!

Old 05-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Get the newest with the fewest --- the later cars have most of the problems worked out.

Jaguars like to live with other cars out of the weather -- So its not uncommon to find one owner examples with few miles and little sun damage.

You just have to look -- remember that examples in the 75k range may need more work than an example with 90. It all depends on the owner.

You may need to spend time looking -- but you will be rewarded in the end. Better to spend the few thousand more to get a 50k example

The only thing more expensive than a cheap Jaguar is a cheap Mercedes

Old 05-21-2011, 04:35 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't do what I did and NOT have a mechanic check it out. Make sure you do... unless you really know cars well.

When I sell my 01 VDP, I'm hoping I'll get more for it than average because much of the car will be brand new! I paid thousands less than typical for the car. I think it's still a good deal even with the work needed. If I had paid thousands MORE and got a car that DIDN'T need all the maintenance work, I'd have a car that would likely SOON need it.

So, if the one you find needs mucho work, make sure you offer thousands less to cover your costs. (Or whatever the number may really be)

Good luck!

SirJag

Old 05-23-2011, 11:31 AM

Thanks everyone for your input! I read over some of the used XJ8/XJR buyers guides and they have been super helpful. I have found one with 68K on the clock and every receipt from new including recent cam chain work, valve cover gasket all coolant hoses and water pump. Always garaged California car! Hopefully this in the one.