XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Looking for the door piece behind the armrest

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 06:52 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Looking for the door piece behind the armrest

It's entirely possible I've just not stumbled upon either the proper name, or a part number, or anything of the sort.

Behind the door card of at least the front doors, where the screw goes in from under the armrest, is a white nylon (assuming) piece that clips into the door. It's about a 3 inch long tubular shape mount that the armrest screw screws into. The one on my passenger door has been missing since I bought the car, presumably lost by a previous owner at some point. However, since that is where the brunt of the force when closing the door is applied and in my case it's missing, it means that the tree-clips around the outside of the door have been subjected to more than their fair share of work. Consequently, now they're broken down enough to where that passenger door bottom is loose and actually squeaking a bit if the door sits just right after closing.

The problem is that I can't seem to find that piece listed, or even referenced, in any door parts diagrams or lists anywhere, save one. The only place I found it, at all, is in the XJ8 Technical Guide, page 15. but that's just an exploded diagram, and it has zero information in regards to parts or part numbers, or even descriptions. So I have no idea what this piece would be called, much less where to find one. There aren't any local yards that have XJ8s to pick from.

So if anyone happens to know where to find this piece, or what it's called, a part number, or suggestions (other than to take a block of wood and shove it back there to screw into - kidding, I wouldn't put wood into the door where it'll get wet and swell and make a mess...), I'd be grateful.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:05 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts
Old 05-18-2017, 08:57 PM

yes, #4! How I missed that image, I have no idea, but many thanks. Time to get that ordered up with a dozen tree clips and get my doors solid again. Thank you!

Old 05-21-2017, 12:01 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

If you still need pieces I've likely got them. I have some spare door cards along with all the other parts.

hold onto your wallet when ordering the tree clips. Think the cheapest I was able to find was $6/each.

Last edited by Col. Sandurz; 05-21-2017 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Door clips
Old 05-21-2017, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the offer. I did find an ebay seller from overseas selling a 10 pack for what amounted to just over $10 shipped, which was one of the cheapest I'd seen in a while, so I jumped on that. Hopefully I can make enough of them stick to help, and was able to find an insert for about $11. Granted, if I had a 3D printer, I'd just start making them lol. Those and the darn door handle cup screw caps. I think my doors now, will be all set with the exception of the driver's door actuator. Haven't had the chance to swallow a hundred dollar bill on that one yet..

Old 05-22-2017, 11:14 AM
Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Old 05-22-2017, 02:44 PM

Shucks, wish I had seen that prior. Would've saved myself ten bucks lol