XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Looking to get an XJR but man it seems scary ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get an XJR but man it seems scary ...

I've been going through the forum reading as much as I can about XJRs and it seems scary to buy one of these cats. A bit of a lottery figuring out what kind of car you're getting.

I'm curious to know what was it that made you take the "Jaguar" leap and buy an XJR?

Thanks from a new guy.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 111 Likes on 55 Posts

Hey jduffy,

welcome to the site!

It is the nature of car enthusiast boards regardless of make and model that 99 percent of the threads are about what is broken, what is defective, what is not functioning, and what went bad...

That is quite understandable as one is usually posting in forums to get help with a specific problem.

You'll never find threads as "Hey, my car has no single problem and is working perfect".

So, don't get scary looking into a Jag!

Take your time and read around here (FAQ section(s)), make yourself familiar with the common problems the XJR's usually have, probably you'll find a list of what to check when buying/testdriving an XJR and don't hesitate to ask the experts here.

David

P.S.
I absolutely LOVE my XJ8 even with it's little annoying issues!

Last edited by DavidN; 02-23-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

I have owned Jaguars since I started to drive back in the 70's and my father bought his first in the late 40's ...thats 1940's. None have been as bad as the reputation .... well ..... the paint on the Series III was weak and let's not talk about the XJ40's. I have had three X300-8 and they have been as reliable as any Lexus I have owned. That said: I would buy the newest one with the fewest miles that I could get. You can still find excellent examples of one and two owner cars that have not been played with too much - and by that I refer to owners and mechanics doing repairs and often maintenance when they should have left it alone.

The 2002-03's are your best bet as they have all the upgrades available to the model. The XJR does not have VVT and was produced with a MB transmission past the point (Y2K) of the most common failure, a metal thermostat cover and latest water pump in the 02-03's. I think the only given is that they will all need some front suspension work (rubber) between 80-100k.

Like many luxury cars the parts are not as readily available at a discount and getting proper repairs a little more difficult but this should not stop you from getting one. They are great cars -- good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (01-04-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 02:43 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What was said already plus, do your best to find a one owner car with records and a solid history. I came from the Subaru world and although the cars are a little more fragile then your average Jap. car they can be just as reliable provided your willing to keep up with the maint. Sure, labor is expensive as it does take longer to replace 8 plugs vs 4 or 6, takes a lot of oil, alternator is a pain to get to but overall parts aren't much more than dealer parts for any other make. There just isn't a ton of aftermarket stuff to drive the price down. Drive a bunch, take your time and you can come away with a very solid low mileage car for Chevy Aveo pricing.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the great words guys. Intriguing stuff.

I'm guessing that the journey of finding an XJR that fits the bill can be just as enjoyable then as owning one if you're willing to make it so.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

low miles and 2002-2003 are key. earlier ones are OK if you can get documentation of updates on commonly faulty parts.

I found my XJR at a volvo dealership while looking at the new volvo S80. the XJR was much faster, much cooler looking, and cost less than half the price of a new volvo. Had it for 4 years now with minimal problems.

whatever you end up doing, good luck

Old 01-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I don't think anyone answered why you would buy one yet, only disputing why you would not> So, why to buy one is that they are fast, comfortable to drive, great looking show you o be a person of style and taste, and did I say fast. That said, while I agree the 2003 2003 are by far the best, if you are not going to do much of the maintenance and some of the repair yourself, you will be spending a $1000. /yr minimum and potentially much much more. Ten year old seals, bushings, electrical insulation, electronic components, plastic, and metal are all subject to deterioration no matter what dealer worked on it or what records he kept. period. But I still love both of my XJRs, my pretty one (150,000 miles) and my beater (235,000 miles).

Old 01-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking I bought one because...

> it had low miles (34k miles for a 1998 VDP)
> it rides like a dream
> it is a good piece of steel and feels safe on the Los Angeles freeway system (I drive a lot, a LOT. 14 k miles since July.)
> classic design
> it rides like a dream... Did I say that already?

I had the timing tensioners changed right away and I have regular oil changes... no problems so far and I LOVE it!~

Jools

Old 01-05-2011, 04:02 AM

Great stuff man. I'm smiling while I'm reading your posts.

Also, I've been going through the forum here and noticed that some people are getting the XJ Sport which really wasn't on my radar screen, in fact I didn't even know it existed. I had just read and heard so much about the XJR. I'm looking forward to driving the two models and comparing them.

Thanks again you guys for the excellent posts.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

The Sport XJ is the De-Caf version.....I only really know XJR's. Top of the x308 tree are the 2002 (UK) 2003 (USA) model year. They have all earlier engine issues sorted out. For example the tensioners and steel liner engine, as covered by earlier posts.
Within these, there is the limited edition XJR 100. If you can find one in pre-loved condition, it's in that place where enthusiasts and market values aren't effected, yet.
Mileage is dependent on service intervals and who did the work. If you find a car that fits the bill, look into the service records for gearbox service, they were "sealed for life units" but history has proved they benefit from regular fluid changes. Good tyres are must.
There's the R1 version, with Brembo brakes. Expensive to replace pads and discs, and marginal performance upgrade in braking, but look nice with drilled discs.
I think you've made a good call putting it out there asking first before pulling the trigger....
I will say that an R has a unique character - performance wise it'll make you grin wider than a Cheshire Cat, the Eaton supercharger whine is addictive. Once you try one you'll know what I mean. Many faces have looked on as they see an R walk away from so called fast cars.....it shouldn't behave like that.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts
Talking Jaguar Leap

I think there are a lot of people who are still afraid of Jaguars (the cars). When I bought my first Jag back in 1994, it was already 10 years old and I figured I would just tinker around with it and keep it as a non-essential fun car. Well, not long after, I found I was divorced, my Mercedes was gone with the ex and the Jag was my main vehicle. I found though that I could depend on it to haul the carpool to work and back, I could take it to shows and actually win trophies, and a little later it became a baby hauler with a carseat in the back. I ended up keeping it 13 years and regretfully had to part with it due to losing the battle against the rust monster. Now, I only drive a Jag. My current one is a 2001 Van den Plas, and I love it. Maybe not your cup of tea - it's not supercharged - but it's a beautiful car.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Super V8

If you'd like to have your cake and eat it too, you may want to also consider a Super V8. What was the Super V8? Simple: a Vanden Plas with the XJR performance upgrades.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:53 PM

jduffy, when you're heading across a parking lot toward your XJR and find yourself walking a little taller, or just out cruising and turning heads on everyone from pimply faced teens to senior citizens, the little ****ly things seem like a small price to pay.
As others have said, take your time, do your research, and you'll enjoy the rewards

Old 01-05-2011, 06:55 PM

okay, not sure why that got the asterisks, I assure you that it wasn't offensive.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts
Talking Jags

northerncat, man you said the "n" word. Just kidding, everybody knows what you mean.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:16 PM

Hehehehehe. Don't sweat the asterisks, I get it. Thanks again for the advice.

I'm going to look at an XJ Sport tomorrow morning. No rush to buy at this point, just getting my bearings.

Hoping to check out an XJR this weekend.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just food for thought on the N/A XJ is the tranny is looked at as being a bit weaker then the XJR. If you do a search you might come to the extra 100hp for about the same price I did.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:30 AM
Received 111 Likes on 55 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...petunia11.html

That one seems like a steal...
No, the owner is not asking 25,000.
Price is now 10,000$

BTW - is it possible that this XJR is one of the rare XJR100?
I can't remember seeing one of the "normal" XJR's without the silver side stripes.

David

Last edited by DavidN; 02-23-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

the car above is sold? 100's don't have side body mouldings, chrome window trims, asteroid wheels or standard brakes which that one has.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Yes, it is sold!

The vehicle mentioned is indeed sold, and I love it. As others have said, it is the look, the knowledge that you own a Jag and while others have their perceptions of what it might be like, you know the joy that comes from design, style, grace and performance.

Dave

Quick Reply: Looking to get an XJR but man it seems scary ...